Smallies came out to play

limeyangler

Went out to try and find crappie....alas another unsuccessful mission :unsure::wallbash::sleeping_02:

After about 2 hours of searching what seemed to be prime locations for crappie i flung on a mepps( actually i think its a blue fox vibrax)to take a break and catch a few pike....which i did...but surprisingly the bass were where i usually find them in late june! had a blast.

HERE'S THE VID

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AND SOME PICS FROM THIS EVENINGS JAUNT

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Great report. Very entertaining. Loved the video. ha ha watched it a few times.:thumbsup_anim:

Three turtle pic is icing on the cake. :lol:

Looked like you had a great day. Don't give up on the crappies. Keep trying and you'll eventually hit the jackpot if they exist on that body of water.

Where I shore fish for them they are usually schooled up and easy to catch with a thill bobber and yellow/black 1/2" fly or 1/16oz jig yellow micro tube.

Looks like you had a good day but I don't think the OOS bass will count as an entry,operative is OOS

You should really check the location and the regs before making such accusations. Bass is open year round in most of northern Ontario.

I tried Crappies on the weekend too Simon---zippo

Think the water is still too cold---I started at 44 degrees---best I found all day was 50

Watch for those big snappin turtles in the Goon---there's some biggies (Realizing those are not in your pic)

Great report. Very entertaining. Loved the video. ha ha watched it a few times.:thumbsup_anim:

Three turtle pic is icing on the cake. :lol:

Looked like you had a great day. Don't give up on the crappies. Keep trying and you'll eventually hit the jackpot if they exist on that body of water.

Where I shore fish for them they are usually schooled up and easy to catch with a thill bobber and yellow/black 1/2" fly or 1/16oz jig yellow micro tube.

Thanks syn.....they definitely exist on this body of water....and yup...slip bobber is the way to go too....here's a vid from last year...albeit around June

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/crappie.flv">

And i mananged to find one whilst icefishing this year too....again it was a bit odd as general rule seems to be where you find one you find another...but this one was travelling solo...lol

IMG_0203.jpg

:oops: My mistake Limey angler.Accept my appology.I didn't see that you were from Dryden.With all the OOS targeting down here lately..yes I said targeting. It was an easy one to make.

No problem sirfish, i get this every year when i post my first bass sessions.

I tried Crappies on the weekend too Simon---zippo

Think the water is still too cold---I started at 44 degrees---best I found all day was 50

Watch for those big snappin turtles in the Goon---there's some biggies (Realizing those are not in your pic)

I think your'e right on the water temps, mind you i got into a bay....shallow...and surface temp was 60, some of the deeper bays were 55, and then some spots showing 40 - 45.

I've tried everything in the crappy textbook in terms of presentations, depths, locations etc...etc...lol...zip...nada. I did find out a couple guys got 10 crappie where i was fishing...but i never saw a thing...or even got a bite at that location.....oh well...lol.

and yes...there certainly are some monster snapping T's on the goon...saw one 2 years ago sat on our shore (rock) its shell was the size of a large garbage can lid!

Edited by limeyangler

Great report, pics and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Might want to try medium spinnerbaits for them crappies.... I remember catching them on the Ottawa O a couple of years ago with the full size ones B)

Never know, just might trigger them to react ;)

Got to love hooking into some bronze backs at this time of year!!!! Beauties :good:

Keep at it.... I'm sure sooner or later some will commit :)

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks for the report, must be nice to be catching some smallies so soon :)

Great job with the camera as always,

MTBF

Thanks Mike...when does bass open for you?

Great report, pics and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Might want to try medium spinnerbaits for them crappies.... I remember catching them on the Ottawa O a couple of years ago with the full size ones B)

Never know, just might trigger them to react ;)

Got to love hooking into some bronze backs at this time of year!!!! Beauties :good:

Keep at it.... I'm sure sooner or later some will commit :)

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

I dont own any spinnerbaits come to think of it....i was using beetlespins though....with mini tubes and white/chart 1/8 jigs and minnows......i'm gonna give it another shot on thursday morning with a buddy....will pick up a spinner bait. However i only have a couple of hours out there...and so far the amount of time i'm spending changing up gear to try different things to trigger a bite is not paying any dividends so far.

Anyway Jacques...thanks for the reply....you always do B)

I am surprised you caught a smallie on a crayfish coloured wiggle wart. You must have caught that fish on another lure and then stuck the ww in its mouth. Pay attention people: Crayfish coloured wiggle warts do not catch smallmouth bass. :blink::blink::whistling: Now that you all know this, pm me and I will send you my mailing address. Just pack them up and send them to me and I will dispose of them. By doing this, you free yourselves of valuable tackle box space.