Anyone ever tried this?

HTHM

I am considering changing the cable operated livewell valves to an electric valve, using a valve for underground irrigation.

This will give me only two positions, open and closed.

Would this work, and are there any disadvatages to doing something like this?

most sprinkler valves are 24 volts. They have very low tolerance for debris. Valvehead assembly must be mounted in a semi dry location they are not submersible. All are doable just a few things to keep in mind as you plan.

Art

most sprinkler valves are 24 volts. They have very low tolerance for debris. Valvehead assembly must be mounted in a semi dry location they are not submersible. All are doable just a few things to keep in mind as you plan.

Art

Thank you for this info, 24 volts should not be a problem, TM is 24V, but keeping it dry might be. The valves are in the bilge.

Sorry I got out my books today and forgot to mention that the solenoid valves are unpowered is closed and powered is open. It means that you need to supply 24 volts all of the time you want it open.You can get either an automotive heater cable control and put it inline or a plumbing 1/4 ballvalve that would be manual reach down their and turn.

Art

Well that would work out, the default position wanted would be closed, no? Simply activate to fill and empty.....Or is there something I am missing? I have never had a livewell before, let alone two!

nope you are correct it would be best to not have it on a toggle switch because you could leave it in the on position and drain the battery.

Art

Like that will ever happen :whistling::whistling::wallbash:

Nothing worse then heading to, day two tourney, and,,,,, ,,well you get the picture. :wallbash:

Just get yourself valves that are "normally open" and take power to close.

They can be purchased either way.

Actually you would want the default position to be closed, as the valve only needs to be open to fill the livewell and empty it.

I have 2 livewells in my alumacraft that were cable operated to drain, one never worked from day 1 and theother broke, I just bought a couple plugs (like the boat plug) in a size for the drain hole and only use the pump to fill the wells. pulling the plug empties them just fine. (a cheap way to go).