Looking for advice on a trooling motor

tb4me

Ok so i sold my dirtbike last night! Who Hoo! Im want to spend the $ on my boat. I have a 14.5 smokercraft and am going to do the usual stuff to it.seats, lights, deep cycle battery, fish finder and a trolling motor. What do you guys recomend for a trooling motor and what do you guys recomend as far as a fishfinder goes? Also What is the best deep cycle marine battery I can get for my $$.All i have now is the boat with an evenrude 9.9 4 stroke in mint shape. I am thinking a bow mount trolling motor with some sort of controls for the tiller area.Is there such a thing? Thanks to everyone in advance for any help! Also where do i mount the motor? There is no casting platform on this boat.Is there such a motor that clamps on the side of the boat or will I have to attach somthing on the front of the boat to mount it?..Excuse the mess here im a newby when it comes to this..My first real boat here..lol

Check out the Minn kota Terrova bow-mount motors. Powerdrives are good too but the Terrovas have quite a few benefits making them worth the extra cash. 55lb would be perfect for that boat.

Get the Co-pilot or I-pilot for the Terrova and you can control if from anywhere in the boat.

Fishfinder Lowrance LMS-520 or 522 if you can find one, otherwise an HDS-5 would be sweet.

Batteries value-wise probably Walmart Energizer or Costco Kirkland. I have Optimas but they are expensive but work great.

Bow mounts require a platform to mount onto, shouldn't be to hard to build. If you're not too handy I bet there's an OFNer nearby that would help! I would look at a 40-55# Minnkota Powerdrive, these come with a foot control that'll reach anywhere in your boat. As far as fishfinders go, there's a www.radioworld.ca ad in the current Ontario Out Of Doors listing an Eagle Fishmark 480 for $155!!! Thats a great unit for that price! 480x480 resolution, 1500 watts.

Bow mounts require a platform to mount onto, shouldn't be to hard to build. If you're not too handy I bet there's an OFNer nearby that would help! I would look at a 40-55# Minnkota Powerdrive, these come with a foot control that'll reach anywhere in your boat. As far as fishfinders go, there's a www.radioworld.ca ad in the current Ontario Out Of Doors listing an Eagle Fishmark 480 for $155!!! Thats a great unit for that price! 480x480 resolution, 1500 watts.

PT has some good points on some budget-oriented options for you. As for the bow mount plate its pretty easy, use Aluminum or heavy plywood with a coat of waterproof seal:

twenty-hp-deluxe.jpg

Wow! You guys are awesome! pics n everything. This is the reason i love this Site..What are your thoughts on the Motorguide wireless setups? Just thinking out loud here..LOL I was thinking of going to bass pro shops before the wife gets ideas on how the $ should be spent...

I have a powerdrive 2 minnkota 55lbs of thrust is plenty for my 16ft boat .Do you plan on mounting a sonar in the front I did so I bought the model with the built in transdoucer.Do yourself a favor and buy the autopilot it is a pleaure to operate.The new ones have GPS built into the autopilot.Good luck with your purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!MTP

ok I figure its time for another stupid question!!!? Is sonar and a fish finder the same thing? im on my way out to BPS soon. Just getting diner in the oven b4 we leave.MMMM home made baked beans..

Yeah, generously proportioned/sonar is the same thing.

If you want to steer your TM from the tiller, I'd suggest a powerdrive. I love mine for just that reason. I don't do a lot of fishing from the bow of my boat, so steering from the tiller is what I do.

S.