Shimano convergence

Drock6687

So I have always loved fishing but untill last fall I had only caught bass and pike. My uncle, a life long steelhead and brown trout fisherman took me out and I caught my first steelhead and ever since then I have been addicted....

My uncle told me that I need to get a longer rod (i was using a cheap 5 ft rod) so today I bought a 10 ft shimanco convergence salmon/steelhead rod... I paid $79.99 for it... does anyone have any expeirence with this rod? Was that a OK price for it?

Thanks everyone~

Considering it comes with a limited lifetime warranty I would say you did great! Awesome starter rod. As you get more and more into it you may want top go longer and lighter but that rod will do a lot of great things for you, especially compared to a 5 footer!

Enjoy

JP

There are 2 rods in the 10ft range…1 that’s 10ft rated 8-17 and the other is 10’6” rated 4-6lb

I’ve owned the 10ft (8-17lb) since 2004 or 2005. I bought it from Hooked and Tackled for around $85 when Jacky closed shop. It’s a beefy rod with a slower, parabolic action (as far as heavier salmon/steelhead rods go). Under extreme pressure, it will bend down to the handle with 12lb line. I use mine for stalking carp in the shallows as well as pier chucking lures for salmon and steelhead. It's a good rod IMO for those purposes. It may be a little too heavy of a rod for clear water, small creek steelheading where you might have to drop down to 4-5lb leaders.

There are 2 rods in the 10ft range…1 that’s 10ft rated 8-17 and the other is 10’6” rated 4-6lb

I’ve owned the 10ft (8-17lb) since 2004 or 2005. I bought it from Hooked and Tackled for around $85 when Jacky closed shop. It’s a beefy rod with a slower, parabolic action (as far as heavier salmon/steelhead rods go). Under extreme pressure, it will bend down to the handle with 12lb line. I use mine for stalking carp in the shallows as well as pier chucking lures for salmon and steelhead. It's a good rod IMO for those purposes. It may be a little too heavy of a rod for clear water, small creek steelheading where you might have to drop down to 4-5lb leaders.

The one that I got is the10ft 8-17 now I just need to find a half decent spinning reel for it...

The one that I got is the10ft 8-17 now I just need to find a half decent spinning reel for it...

isnt there a rebate on right now for that rod ? 15 bucks off?

if your model number ends with an A like so CVCL106M2A you should have gotten a rebate card with it rebate goes till the 30th of this month just a heads up worth a try

Sounds like a good price for that rod but like MJL stated that rod might be a bit to heavy if you're planning on doing mostly float fishing or bottom bouncing in smaller clearer rivers which require lighter leaders of 3 to 6lb test. A lighter and longer rod will be more flexible and forgiving while using those lighter leaders and a longer rods gives you better line control. \

Remember that the lightest part of your set-up is not the main line but the leader and the heavier your leader is the less hook ups especially under clear conditions.

Sorry to be negative, but if I was you I would try to return it for a 4 to 8lb rod instead and go up another foot or 2 if you plan on float fishing in clear smaller rivers.

Get a reel with a super smooth drag and minimum line capacity of 8lbs /150yds - check out the Okuma Inspira and US reels. I have 2 and really like them.

I used to have a canadian northern series for starters,and I broke it.I then picked up a convergence 12 1/2 ft im6.I use it for back up now, and still like it.I paid about the same for it.A good rod for the price,but not comparable with my raven rod.The conv I use with a spinning reel.

I agree with most people here that the rod would feel too heavy after several hours of use. Check out some of the lighter models, especially if you plan to do a lot of drift/float fishing. Or go with even shorter rod (like 8'6") if you're only fishing small tributaries. I once had a 12'6" L action Convergence, and honestly I would quit fishing after a couple of hours on the river simply because it's too heavy to hold all day. Or maybe I was just impatient... ;)

No experience with the Convergence fly rods, but the spinning and bait casting models do the job, I have a few and like them. Ran into a close out sale here stateside and they had them marked down to 20 bucks so I bought6.

"I once had a 12'6" L action Convergence, and honestly I would quit fishing after a couple of hours on the river simply because it's too heavy to hold all day. Or maybe I was just impatient... ;)"

:D Heavier than a penn 209 loaded with a couple hundred yards of 20-30 pound test on a 6 foot solid fiberglass rod? Casting tackle up north back in the mid 60`s, 14-15-16 and I fished all day, dawn to dark.

My brother and buddy both have the 10'6 model and both really like it. Mind you they are using it to cast hardware. dunno what its like for drifting. I havent handled the 10' that you have but i'd agree with the previous posters and say it might be a little heavy, unless your casting spoons off the pier. But hey man, its your world, if it feels right to you and you like it... power to ya.

As for a reel, Shimano seharra is a clutch one to go with. incredibly smooth drag, well built and just an all round great reel.

Actually I just bought a 13' Shimano Clarus (CSS-130ML2A) rated for 4-8lb, Tennessee handle. Will use it for shore fishing on Niagara. Probably not as "noodle" as the 10'6" or 12'6" Convergence. But I got it for only $59.99 at the Gagnon Sports yard sale.