Lake Erie is a Gem

ryansusanna

Hit lake Erie this week to take my annual April crack at the catch and release Smallmouth fishery available on Erie in New York State. At first this seems foreign to most, but let me tell you it is a must experience thing for any Bass fisherman.

Great friends, good weather, and hungry BIG fish.

IMG00085-20100413-1145.jpg

IMG00099-20100413-1644.jpg

IMG00095-20100413-1518.jpg

IMG00096-20100413-1533.jpg

Ryan

Man that is just outstanding.

And I agree this is the best seasonal fishing opportunity available to anyone in our area.

(Well that and trolling the south shore of Lake O right now for salmonids...another hot April bite).

If I can get my boat repairs done in time I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Awesome footballs dude!

those are some nice footballs...wish we had a solid population of them up here

The problem isn't so much that we don't have them on our end of the lake...it's that we don't have a spring season for them. I'm not saying the fishing would be as good as it is on the south side of the lake, but it'd sure save us some money if we didn't have to go south of the border to get them! Judging by the numbers of fish you get into the fall, and the slaughter-fest that goes on in Long Point Bay each bass opener I'd bet there'd be an AMAZING spring catch and release fishery here as well. Don't think we'll ever see it happen though!

Cheers,

Ryan

If I cast far enough on the Niagara River that my bait lands on the USA side does it count as an OOS fish? lol not that I want to keep them anyways!

Awesome report, I can't wait for the season to open here and I can post pictures of the monsters I'm going to catch! Already got massive smallie this year fishing for crappie/sunnies with a worm!

• 2 weeks later...

Still going strong for the souls willing to brave the lake. winds didn't go to forecast, cost me stuffing a wave (very cold in April) and a windshield. got my Dad into some nice smallies though ;)

anyone not partaking in trout opener this weekend, there are options....

Still going strong for the souls willing to brave the lake. winds didn't go to forecast, cost me stuffing a wave (very cold in April) and a windshield. got my Dad into some nice smallies though ;)

anyone not partaking in trout opener this weekend, there are options....

Don't count out the river had 20 plus largies yesterday and at least that many smallies, rivers on fire too!!