Lady Evelyn Lake

Dara

My long lost fishing partner and I just booked a trip to lady Evelyn lake.

Going 3rd week in june.

Does anybody want to give away any secrets?

Target species will be eyes, pike are not allowed in the boat

There's half a dozen of us heading up there in September, so I'm a little curious about that myself. Haven't looked at the regs yet, but I think everything will be open at that time. Mainly looking for pike, but I do remember how tasty Walleye is.... Yummmm.... Last time I fished Walleye, a Mepps spinner with a juicy piece of worm trailing from the treble was the ticket. Colours to be determined by conditions. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. I guess just your standard walleye fishing except there are supposed to be lots of big ones.

Sure is a big lake. I know the GPS is going to help on that one.

Are there any downloadable charts of it?

Thanks guys. I guess just your standard walleye fishing except there are supposed to be lots of big ones.

Sure is a big lake. I know the GPS is going to help on that one.

Are there any downloadable charts of it?

http://www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca

you'll need

LADY EVELYN LAKE: Northeast Basin

L $9.95

..and you might want..

LADY EVELYN: Southern Basin

L

$9.95

both are laminated so you can fish in da rain...

Edited by irishfield

I have been up to Evelyn lake for a week each of the past two years (Once in August, once at the end of June/beginning of July). I stayed at Garden Island and Island 10, so I my experience is mostly west of Red Pine.

We primarily jigged for walleye using plastic grubs in 12-15 FOW. Usually near a drop off entering a shallow bay or inside a bay. I believe last year we fished many evenings in a bay about 10 minutes west of Red Pine with great success.

Although we did a lot of jigging with plastics, we also caught walleye trolling cranks and worms (harness, slow death) as well. I also caught some of my largest walleyes (26", 27" and then a 28", all within 15 minutes) with a jerk bait (x-rap) my first evening there fishing the shoreline in an island saddle that dropped off to deep water.

Just look for typical walleye structure (reefs, drop offs before a shallow flat, island saddles - there are plenty of both in this lake) and you will be fine. We found that the larger bays had the best evening bite for the 14"-18" fish.

Trolling the deeper drop off areas (15-20FOW) during the day is probably your best bet for larger fish in the daytime.

I could give you a bunch of spots that produced for me, but there is really no point since you'd have to travel quite a ways to get to them and there is no reason for you to do this. You will find spots that are just as productive within 20 minutes of camp guaranteed. However, feel free to PM me if you really want them.

Not to derail the thread, but I am curious as to why you think Red Pine is the best lodge on the lake Solopaddler? I haven't stayed there and only boated out in front of it one day to take a look. It didn't look as nice as the others, not that that means much really, but you aren't the first person to mention this. It's probably the most expensive lodge as well (of all of the whopping 3 with American plans). I do like that it has private docks though. Anyway, just curious since I will probably be back there again some day.

If your looking for walleye and using worms get a bunck of packages of Go-Getters. You'll need lots in different colours because you'll snap off on some of the walleye and lots on pike. However if the are biting then you'll boat alot with go-getters. I thought the walleye fishing had really tailed off in the Lady Eveyln chian? It is nice to hear reports of good catches. I look forward to your report.

Will be in that neck of the wood same time and the mainstay up there is a bottom bouncer 1/2-1 oz and a worm harness to cover water. Start off with #3 blades - orange, red, greens and move up in size. Sometimes even a #2 blade is the ticket. You can circle the lake trolling the shoreline but find the rock shoals in 15-30 FOW.

Evening jig bites are good and we catch quite a lot on slip floats with small jig and worm/leech. Worms are all you'll need in bait. If you want minnows just take a dip net with you and check the beaver lodges. You might have to check a few places but you shouldn't have to travel too far find another beaver lodge.

Loads of pike too. Try casting some xraps or other minnow baits up on top of the rock shoals in the evenings

Cool. Thanks guys. Sounds like it will be a fun time.

Going with an old fishing buddy and when the 2 of us get in a boat together the fish don't stand a chance.

We used to jig a lot but I really like trolling bottom bouncers and harnesses. You get to reel em in for longer :thumbsup_anim:

Lady Evelyn is a GREAT LAKE, and Red Pine is a GREAT LODGE.

I have been to Red Pine twice. Once in the last week of May, and once at the end of July. The fishing is fantastic, both times i was there we experienced great numbers of fish, with a surprisingly large average size. On a day trip up by Franks Falls even though we were into them thick, we had a hard time getting a Walleye under 18" for shore lunch, a problem i am not accustomed to ;)

Ryan Edenborough had been guiding on Redpine full time for 7 years, and has the fish dialed in you you would not believe. A few pictures from my trip are below... Would highly recommend getting a day on the water with Ryan when you are there. The key would be to try to book it ahead of time so you can ensure you get him the first or second day of your trip. The knowledge you will gain about that water body will enhance your trip greatly....

All our fish were caught jigging on both trips. End of May we fished the shallow sandy portion of the lake, late July we fished the deeper rocky end of the lake.

Myself with a good walleye to start a trip...

IMG_1823.jpg

Ryan the Guide with a great fish.

IMG_1827.jpg

Bald Eagles

IMG_1858.jpg

This little guy was curious, nosed the boat almost right into him...

IMG_1836.jpg

Couple more great fish.

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

All in all, i would HIGHLY recommend the lodge. It is not the least expensive lodge on the lake, but the staff treats you like family, and with the meal plan James and Janice the lodges owners provide you are sure to come home a few pounds heavier, not including your limit of 17" walleye ;)

PM me if you have any questions, would be happy to help.