Fly-in Fishing With Dad

Jacques

My dad lives in the States now and we don't get to fish together too much any more. He's turning 65 this year and I thought I'd take him for some fly-in fishing.-- if I can scrape the cash together :whistling:

I'm thinking of around 3 days and hoping not to break the bank. Has anyone had any good experiences? My Dad's pretty fit but probably not up to a lot of portaging or anything.

Would really appreciate a couple of suggestions :mellow:

Check out Leuenebergers out of Nakina. I've been using them for the last 6 yrs and will be again this year. They do have a few lakes that they will do 3 day trips to, and you will not be dissapointed with the fishing, accomodations, equipment and the planes. It's about a 13 hr drive from your place.

The only problem with fly-ins anymore is the price, since 9-11 the insurance rates and fuel have gone thru the roof and so have prices on the trips.

Good Luck

I live in Dundas, so the destinations I've been to are about the same driving distance.

For me, Nakina is about my limit for an easy day's drive, being about 14hours....There's 2 very good outfitters there I've flown with in the past: Leuenberger's (leuenberger.ca/kag.htm), and Timberidge (timberidgefishing.com). With Leuenberger I can personally recommend Muskrat, Elbow, and Kapatawanga lakes. All fantastic fisheries, and great cabins. I'm fairly certain you'd have a good trip at any of their outposts though...With Timberidge I've been to Sim and Crayon lakes...both great lakes.

I would also take a look at the Wawa/Whitriver area, both within an easy days drive of S. Ontario, around 10-11hrs. The bonus of travelling to this area is the beauty of the drive north of the Soo along Lake Superior, it's very scenic. In the Wawa area I've flown with Hawk Air many times (hawkair.com) and can highly recommend Duffy, Little Missinaibi, Pichogen, Wejin and Mosambik. All great fisheries and good cabins. In White River I've flown a bunch of times with White River Air (northtoadventure.com), and can personally recommend Shekak, Hayward/Herrick, and Jembi lakes. All fantastic fisheries again and first rate cabins.

If you research this and decide to pick any of the lakes I've mentioned, feel free to pm me and I can provide you with detailed info on where to fish, etc.

One other point: most of these outfitters base their prices on a minimum of 4 people. If it's just you and your dad you'll still be able to go, but will likely have to pay a bit extra.

All of the outfitters I've mentioned above will accomodate groups of 2 however, if that's the case. (Not all outfitters will do this)

cheers, Mike

I'll be doing the same thing with my Pa who is a spry 74 years old - we'll be taking our trip in July to Trout lake near Red Lake. Book your trip soon so that you can start on the anticipation part of your trip - it's included in the original price.