Nifty DIY Bunsen Burner

Funkeh

I used to use a similar contraption made from a tuna can, corrogated cardboard and parafin wax. I like this one better. I think I'll make a couple of these up, as I just happen to have some Heineken cans available. Of course they're still full, so I'll have to remedy that first....whistling.gif

I just made a few of these last week...we call them penny stoves...heineken cans are the best to use as their cans have a slightly sturdier construction...burn time was about 15-17 mins and could bring a litre of water to boil in 8 mins

When they burn out can you refill them with more fuel, or are they a one-time deal?

When they burn out can you refill them with more fuel, or are they a one-time deal?

Refill indefinitely. They're popular with the uber lightweight backpacking & canoeing crowd. Instead of straight up fibreglass which might have some knarly binders in it, muffler packing works. They don't work that great in the cold.

As with anything conceived by Depression-era hobos this stove is dangerous. Be careful!

Depression-era hobos didn't have aluminum cans to work with. ;)

Looks like a neat idea, though.

We used to teach scouts how to make portable stoves and burners from tuna and soup cans. Burn a lot hotter than the sterno cans, but the parrafin and cardboard is only good for 15 minutes.

A large dry pinecone smothered in melted wax and wrapped in newspaper will make an excellent firestarter or provide enough cooking heat for 10 minutes. Enough for a can of Chronzy's favourite, or beans.

When I was a kid my buddy used to have a neat stove. It was an old tobacco can with twist on lid.

There was a full roll of toilet paper in it and that was soaked in fuel. (None would leak out if you held it upside down as it was all absorbed in the paper).

When lit it would burn for 20-30 minutes.

To put it out you just put the lid on and it would stop the oxegen and starve the fire. The can would get nice and warm and keep your hands warm. We would often light it for 5 min. then put it out to warm our hands on the can.