Purchased My First Centerpin Today

laszlo

Let the transition begin...

Any tips would be great!

Good Stuff Laz!! what did you get?

My first tip would be if you have 2 rods,..bring the pin and spinner until you are comfortable enough with the pin,..the first few outings can be frustarting especially if you have to cast far.

I Also bought a new pin today, thought mine was in need of a major update.

Heres a question ill ask for you, Are there any backing alternatives out there? i know about dacron annd not to use mono because it shrinks after it gets wet and what not so im interested to find out if there are other lines i could use as a substitute.

thanks.

Good Stuff Laz!! what did you get?

My first tip would be if you have 2 rods,..bring the pin and spinner until you are comfortable enough with the pin,..the first few outings can be frustarting especially if you have to cast far.

Raven SST-2

I Also bought a new pin today, thought mine was in need of a major update.

Heres a question ill ask for you, Are there any backing alternatives out there? i know about dacron annd not to use mono because it shrinks after it gets wet and what not so im interested to find out if there are other lines i could use as a substitute.

thanks.

Dacron backing is only truly a necessity on the aerial style reels that have pins instead of a spool.

On a regular centrepin with a spool you can use anything you want as backing, doesn't have to be dacron.

Any heavier mono is fine like 14lb XT for example.

The reason for backing is to fill up the spool as many of the reels have ridiculously huge deep spools with enormous line capacities.

Another thing I've done is wind on a level 4wt fly line.

It weighs absolutely nothing and acts as a simple arbour filling up the deep spool.

There's very, very few instances where you'll need more than 150 or so yards of line to work with.

Edited by solopaddler

ahh i see, i always heard that the tension that builds up from wet mono was enough pressure to deform the drums of reels but i guess that would make sense since the new reels now are 1 peice machined aluminum. well in that case i will prolly wind up some heavy mono since the sst3 is a lilbit on the light side paired with my 14' im8.

Laz you should return the pin...apparently it is only for elitest 'snub-nosed' brats who do not know how to fish any other way!! and have too much money to spend LOL this is of course coming from guys way north...who for the most part have never used one...or used one properly.or just have an attitude...

Laz you should return the pin...apparently it is only for elitest 'snub-nosed' brats who do not know how to fish any other way!! and have too much money to spend LOL this is of course coming from guys way north...who for the most part have never used one...or used one properly.or just have an attitude...

For me it's just another method to expand upon.

My spinning set up will still have it's use as well.

In the early fall when the fish are very active, tossing spinners in mid-depth riffle water can be deadly as

I learned last year. Plus...when they take it feels like they want to rip your arm off.

Also, not too sure how much of an elitest I can look like while fumbling around trying to figure out how

to cast :/ I may need your help bud.

Dacron backing is only truly a necessity on the aerial style reels that have pins instead of a spool.

On a regular centrepin with a spool you can use anything you want as backing, doesn't have to be dacron.

Any heavier mono is fine like 14lb XT for example.

The reason for backing is to fill up the spool as many of the reels have ridiculously huge deep spools with enormous line capacities.

Another thing I've done is wind on a level 4wt fly line.

It weighs absolutely nothing and acts as a simple arbour filling up the deep spool.

There's very, very few instances where you'll need more than 150 or so yards of line to work with.

Congrats on the pin!

I recommend going to a field or your backyard and learn to wallace cast. I made the mistake of trying to learn to wallace cast with my first pin on a river when the bite was good. Learning to wallace cast went out the window! I just wanted to hook fish. Had to put up with bad line twist casting off the side of the reel after that.

Good luck with the new pin, there will be no looking back now :)

Learn how to control the spool with ur fingers, this will be crucial when tryin to control ur float in fast,slow water etc. It will all come into place, just like everything practice makes perfection. Just keep at it and know that there will be frustrations, just gotta deal with them.

*oh and dont forget to have fun with it!

Edited by l2p