MNR CONSERVATION OFFICER job?

tb4me

We have 2 adopted young boys, one 20 and one turning 18 July 1st. After telling them this IS the job they want, for years on end I have given up. Not the direction they want to head. So I’m thinking, I’m only 35 myself. Is this something I can get into, or is it too late? What qualifications do I need? Right now I’m a self employed home renovator. What education do they require? I’m more than willing to attend the right schools to get the required education. I figure I have a good 25 to 30 years left in me for working yet. I would love a job in this field. So basically I’m just checking to see if anyone here knows exactly.

Thanks guys, Ron

We have 2 adopted young boys, one 20 and one turning 18 July 1st. After telling them this IS the job they want, for years on end I have given up. Not the direction they want to head. So I’m thinking, I’m only 35 myself. Is this something I can get into, or is it too late? What qualifications do I need? Right now I’m a self employed home renovator. What education do they require? I’m more than willing to attend the right schools to get the required education. I figure I have a good 25 to 30 years left in me for working yet. I would love a job in this field. So basically I’m just checking to see if anyone here knows exactly.

Thanks guys, Ron

My friend just finished a course a Fleming college. Think its a two year course. There's only like 150 CO in ontario so right away its not going to be easy !! He volunteers right now and basically has to wait and apply to every job. Also jobs are all across the province so if you get the interview its likely you will have to Relocate.

My friends on a 6 year waiting list for the GTA...Brutal lol

You're going to end up with a ton of different responses to this.

If you're interested in seeing what type of CO / MNR jobs are out there, go to: www.gojobs.gov.on.ca

FYI: The MNR SEP (Summer Experiance Program) pays 11.25 an hour with 6-8 week contracts. That's where you get your start. Not too many people out there who aren't in highschool or their first year or two of University or College can afford that.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there are few jobs in natural resources as it is, let alone as a CO. i'd never tell anyone not to follow their dream but if you want a full time job within the next decade don't try to become a CO.

there are few jobs in natural resources as it is, let alone as a CO. i'd never tell anyone not to follow their dream but if you want a full time job within the next decade don't try to become a CO.

Unless you get the heck out of Ontario!!!! The other provinces and territories actually give a crap about protecting thier resources!!!! I was checked by one of our local CO's on Saturday while fishing a lake 60kms up an ice road (over 100kms from town).

My brother just got a full time job with the MNR, and boy was he lucky. He has a 4 year degree from Brock University for Environmental Science and then had to take a post-grad course at Niagara College specializing in GIS. This is the ONLY reason he got the job... So get to school and get applying, and as everyone said good luck becoming a CO.

My brother just got a full time job with the MNR, and boy was he lucky. He has a 4 year degree from Brock University for Environmental Science and then had to take a post-grad course at Niagara College specializing in GIS. This is the ONLY reason he got the job... So get to school and get applying, and as everyone said good luck becoming a CO.

GIS?= girls In Swimsuits

or

maybe

geographic information systems

GIS?= girls In Swimsuits

or

maybe

geographic information systems

is this multipule choice? cause if it is ill take the first one! sounds easier and wayy more fun

He is incredibly lucky if this is all he had to do in order to get a full time job with the MNR. Very few people get hired directly to full time out of school. Most people spend several years working contracts in various locations before an opportunity like that comes along.