Fly-In Lake ideas and options

goteeboy

hey folks

i'm looking to go to a fly-in (or drive in) lake fishing resort in northern ontario in late june/early july this year. any great places you can recommend would be awesome. good service, good price, great fishing for walleye and pike. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 500-1000 per person. i always wanted to go to Kesagami, but it's just too steep for my wallet.

thanks.

hey folks

i'm looking to go to a fly-in (or drive in) lake fishing resort in northern ontario in late june/early july this year. any great places you can recommend would be awesome. good service, good price, great fishing for walleye and pike. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 500-1000 per person. i always wanted to go to Kesagami, but it's just too steep for my wallet.

thanks.

Do a quick search on here and you will see many threads that will answer your question. That being said...from my knowledge, look into Hawk Air, Pine Portage or Northtoadventure out of WHite River.

Solopaddler is great for info on this stuff (I suspect he has won Lotto Max and just fishes 24/7 everywhere)

I've been to Kesagami, there's an outpost on Partridge Lk and you can portage to a boat cache on Kesagami (alot cheaper than Kes. Lodge if you don't mind the portage), still a little over your budget, the old owner was Ron Baron (Gardiner Air), he had health trouble and sold to someone else (don't know the new outfit but guys on this board would)

Kesagami was great, we liked having our own cabin on Partridge (although Ron was finicky to say the least), we caught big pike to 18lbs, great walleye to 6.5lbs but we had perfect weather, hot, humid and most days Kesagami was without a ripple (no wind), if it is windy Kesagami blows up easily, huge waves, turbid water after (we've talked to other groups that could only fish the big lake for a couple days because of wind/ waves),

we got really lucky once, it was awesome, but we won't go back because we don't want to gamble again

Kesagami Lodge has some protection if it's windy, you can duck into Newnham Bay for shelter

I go with a group of guys every year, and one of them has used Lauzon for the last 30 years or so. For trout they fly into Robb lake, but we prefer Pike, Lakers, and Whites at White Owl. Reno is a great pilot and we've never been disappointed on any of the trips. That's just my1/50th of a dollar though.

Solopaddler is great for info on this stuff (I suspect he has won Lotto Max and just fishes 24/7 everywhere)

I've been to Kesagami, there's an outpost on Partridge Lk and you can portage to a boat cache on Kesagami (alot cheaper than Kes. Lodge if you don't mind the portage), still a little over your budget, the old owner was Ron Baron (Gardiner Air), he had health trouble and sold to someone else (don't know the new outfit but guys on this board would)

Kesagami was great, we liked having our own cabin on Partridge (although Ron was finicky to say the least), we caught big pike to 18lbs, great walleye to 6.5lbs but we had perfect weather, hot, humid and most days Kesagami was without a ripple (no wind), if it is windy Kesagami blows up easily, huge waves, turbid water after (we've talked to other groups that could only fish the big lake for a couple days because of wind/ waves),

we got really lucky once, it was awesome, but we won't go back because we don't want to gamble again

Kesagami Lodge has some protection if it's windy, you can duck into Newnham Bay for shelter

Not with the numbers he picked for me on lotto max :wallbash: Im still poor.LOL

Not with the numbers he picked for me on lotto max :wallbash: Im still poor.LOL

:lol:

I can highly recommend these outfitters:

Hawk Air just east of Wawa: http://www.hawkair.com/

White River Air in White River: http://northtoadventure.com/

Air Ivanhoe in Folyet: http://www.air-ivanhoe.com/

Leuenberger in Nakina:http://www.leuenberger.ca/landing.html

My buddy Eddie's camp on the Attawapiskat river north of Nakina: http://eddienorth.com/

The first 3 are a closer drive from Toronto. They offer good camps with great fishing but the lakes are generally smaller.

I've flown with all 3 and can suggest specific lakes if you wish.

The other 2 are out of Nakina. A bit further drive but worth it imo as the lakes are generally bigger and more varied.

Both are good.

I'm obviously biased regarding Eddie's camp as he's a friend and the quality of the fishing is incredible.

My buddy Dave and myself actually just designed and built Eddie's website.

His prices are more than your budget however it never hurts to call and talk to the man. He's very accomodating and if there's any possible way to fit you in within your budget he will.

I've spoke with Maurice at...

http://www.truenorthairservice.com/MoreInformationFishing.htm

... several times. He took over Ron Barron's operation and has added some great new upgrades to his Partridge Lake camp. Give him a buzz too and I'd guess you'd maybe be able to come in at budget. If not, for the sake of a couple hundred more than you're wanting to pay, I'd suggest biting the bullet to fish what you want to fish most.

Quite frankly, Kesagami, Attawapiskat & Nipigon are all top pike fisheries which all offer their own unique fishing experiences. They will all spoil you, and personally I appreciate each in their own way. Kesagami's weather can be a demon at times yes... same with Nipigon... but, a bonus with being on Partridge is you'll always have that lake option for real bad weather days and, the Kesagami cache is on the west side of the lake and in fact more protected than the lodge from the more common summer prevailing winds.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by Moosebunk

thanks for the info. lots of options, just a matter of pulling the trigger and deciding on a place. we're going for sure, just a matter of fitting it into the budget.

if anyone else has any more info, please let me know.

thanks for the info. lots of options, just a matter of pulling the trigger and deciding on a place. we're going for sure, just a matter of fitting it into the budget.

if anyone else has any more info, please let me know.

I just moved up to Sioux Lookout which is about 4 hours north of Thunder bay and there are many lodges both drive in and fly in around this area and i am told that we have some of the best fishin in Ontario up here. I would suggest taking a look around up here.

I just moved up to Sioux Lookout which is about 4 hours north of Thunder bay and there are many lodges both drive in and fly in around this area and i am told that we have some of the best fishin in Ontario up here. I would suggest taking a look around up here.

I totally agree if someone from S. Ontario is willing to drive or fly that far to get to the jump off point.

Most guys from S. ON, will look to north eastern ON. Logistically it's easier.