Question

LucG

I'm looking for a website/article that deals with selecting the right rod/reel for different types of fishing techniques. There have been similar questions asked here, but am unable to put all the peices together.

I like using almost every technique, but I have been doing it all on just the one rod. Since I plan on fishing bass tournements this year as a none boater, I have started to pickup some gear. So my question is, come the night before the tournement, what technique should I assign to what rod. I like to fish with cranks/x-raps/jerk baits, topwater/scum frogs, texas/carolina/wacky style rigs, spinnerbaits, drop shot, etc.

Obveously it can all be done on one rod, cause I have been doing it that my whole life, but I want to know when it is to my advantage to use the baitacst reel, or when its better to use a stiffer rod.

I currently have:

- Shimano Citica Baitcast with a Bionic Blade Rod 6'6" MH Fast

- Older model Quantum EX 501 Baitcast with a Berkley Roughneck 6' Med Casting Rod

- Shimano CX 2500RB with a Shimano 6'6" Med Fast

- Shimano Sienna 2500 no rod yet selected

As for line, I'll mostly be using PowerPro

I plan on buying at least one more setup as well.

Theres got to be a good article out there that lays it all out for newbs like me. Or it might be a good topic for an upcoming OFC Emag issue.

Thanks guys!

I'm looking for a website/article that deals with selecting the right rod/reel for different types of fishing techniques. There have been similar questions asked here, but am unable to put all the peices together.

I like using almost every technique, but I have been doing it all on just the one rod. Since I plan on fishing bass tournements this year as a none boater, I have started to pickup some gear. So my question is, come the night before the tournement, what technique should I assign to what rod. I like to fish with cranks/x-raps/jerk baits, topwater/scum frogs, texas/carolina/wacky style rigs, spinnerbaits, drop shot, etc.

Obveously it can all be done on one rod, cause I have been doing it that my whole life, but I want to know when it is to my advantage to use the baitacst reel, or when its better to use a stiffer rod.

I currently have:

- Shimano Citica Baitcast with a Bionic Blade Rod 6'6" MH Fast

- Older model Quantum EX 501 Baitcast with a Berkley Roughneck 6' Med Casting Rod

- Shimano CX 2500RB with a Shimano 6'6" Med Fast

- Shimano Sienna 2500 no rod yet selected

As for line, I'll mostly be using PowerPro

I plan on buying at least one more setup as well.

Theres got to be a good article out there that lays it all out for newbs like me. Or it might be a good topic for an upcoming OFC Emag issue.

Thanks guys!

Hey there, hope you plan on spending a lot of cash, some of those techniques will need specific rods with the right specs and reels with the right gear ratio. You will get different answers from different people, so do your research and figure out what will work best for the techniques you will be useing. You dont need a set up for every technique because some will use the same set up. Goodluck on your research, I like to get a lot of info from this site(sent you pm), its not Canadian but there is still a great amount of good info there, expecially bass fishing.

Edited by sandmann

Save your moola.

There is no one article or response that will answer everything. Unfortunatley a lot of the info you are looking for has to be learned on the water through trial and error.

For bass tournies, one rod missing is a flipping stick. Either 7ft or 7'6 heavy. Same rod can be used for topwaters (frogs) etc.. Sure, you may have to re-tie a bit. Btu until you figure out what gear fits the water you fish, your style and prefernces, don't spend a wack of cash.

And you don't have to buy a Frog rod to use frogs becasue of it name. Same as green masking tape and white, they do the same, but ones prettier.

Luc, you can probably do most anything with 3-4 rods and reels maximum.. If you're going to be trying out tournaments this season as a non boater, I assume that you'll fish with a boater.....take his/her advice. Work with what you have. You'll then get a feel for what you like and are comfortable with.

Spinning rod for dropshoting, wacky worm, usually a lighter line on them, smaller hook.Any where around heavy cover I like a flipping stick or a heavier action rod and heavier line, although I used mono, generally 17-20 pound test.

Be aware of what rod combo you have in your hand, details count in a tournament, 1 fish, even a minimum size one can move you into money. You can land a 20+ inch bass around cover with a spinning rod and 10# test line, it just wouldn`t be my preferred way of doing it.

Pretty sure Harrison will agree, pay attention to your hooks, you can bend or break a low quality hook pulling a bass out of cover. If you want to play with them get them in the livewell first.

In my opinion, as a first time serious bass fisher you need:

A medium or medium Lt. spinning rod with 15 or 20# braid for Senkos, flukes and drop-shots. Use a short fluoro leader on the drop-shot.

A medium baitcaster for toads, square bill and medium depth cranks.

A medium heavy baitcaster for everything else.

For line on the baitcasters I like 40 pound braid, but if you want to use Fluoro or Mono that's up to you.

I generally use either a Fluoro or mono leader, but on reaction baits, like spinnerbaits, crankbaits, toad's and frogs I don't think you really need it.

For surface baits, I used 20 pound mono last year. Mono floats and the 20# is stiff enough that things like Zara Spook's don't run it over and foul the line in the hooks. This year I will use 40 pound braid behind a 25 foot knotless wind-on leader, that I have down sized from West-coast saltwater anglers, but that is not part of Bass 101.

Some may disagree, but I doubt that you will need a Flippin- stick at least until you know how to pitch and flip quite well. Even then you might not need one. Flipping is best for shallow heavy cover, IN MURKY WATER, where you can stand 20 feet from the fish without spooking it. That's not the case in most of the very clear water lakes that I fish in Ontario.

As a non-boater you will be fishing from the back of the boat. You are better off making long casts with a Carolina rig, than trying to find shallow fish, close to the boat, that the guy up front missed.

Garry2rs

Thanks guys, great info. I'm trying not to get too tied around the gear aspect and just do what I know how to do, catch fish. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season and plan on learning alot.

I started fishing bass tournaments in 1974 or so, the focus at that time also wasn`t so much on the gear. Unlimited money and sponsors can do that do that to any game. It helps to know the water you are fishing, also to have a plan for finding them in waters you don`t fish often.

Guess I just caught the post at the right time Roy! :)

Just about why I recommended the flipping stick or pitch rod. When targeting bass this will absolutely be part of your aresenal at some point. I see you are in North Bay, the one T I did on Nippissing we Flipped and Pitched all day, lots of junk to fish. I am sure as a non-boater you'll be back in the swamp at some point.

Gary made a good point about backboating. A good Flipping stick, 50- 80lb braid and a frog will give you lots of water to fan cast when in the swamp and back boated.

Another place is fishnig deep weeds, "dunking" jigs etc where I use personally 80lb braid and a cinched drag, to gettem out and in the boat.

However after years of doing so, my wrists have taken a beating. Actullay used to buy the old heavy crucials and trim 6 inches off. Talk about a pool cue. Thinking this year of lightening up a bit.

I agree OHIO, finding them is key, but the right tools are needed to get them swimming in your well.

Good luck

Edited by Harrison