Summer activities for families North of TO

Dutchy

So, I have family coming across from Scotland on holiday. Their plan is to spend a couple of days in TO and then hire an RV and head north. They are looking for places where their kids can kayak/canoe, maybe fish etc. I don't know what to tell them. They are looking at Algonquin Park.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Doug.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

algonquin is a great area. if they are rv'ing for any length of time, i'd recommend the stretch of highway 17 between sault ste. marie and thunder bay. the drive is spectacular, lake superior park is amazing canoeing/fishing, white river has exceptional fishing, and the scenery on along superior is unbeatable short of going out to the rockies.

old woman bay:

231congp.jpg

algonquin is a great area. if they are rv'ing for any length of time, i'd recommend the stretch of highway 17 between sault ste. marie and thunder bay. the drive is spectacular, lake superior park is amazing canoeing/fishing, white river has exceptional fishing, and the scenery on along superior is unbeatable short of going out to the rockies.

old woman bay:

231congp.jpg

How far from Toronto would the drive to this place in the picture be?

I may just pack a tent and bring my daughter on a fishing trip up there too. Just don' ;) t tell my friend Dutchy

Depending on when they are coming and how far they want to drive. The Haliburton Forest has some activities such as the Walk in The Clouds and Wolf Centre. Bancroft has a Gem event at some point over the summer. and of course Algonquin Park, they are all within a fairly short distance of each other.

Call 1-800-ONTARIO and they will be more than happy to send you publications OR order them on line at www.ontariotravel.net

An OTIC (Onatario Travel information Centre) also has a wealth of information.

Working on the summer book now will be out last week of May.

Find out exactly how long they want to be on the road.

Also, ask them if they want to travel every day or stay several nights at fewer places.

Superiors north shore is an absolute no brainer.

A few more details and I'll pm you a couple of possible itineraries.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i love that photo. not sure of the photographer, but that's the ferocity of gitchee gumee in the fall.

i believe that would be about 10 hour drive from toronto, depending on route and how fast you drive.

old woman bay:

231congp.jpg

Ahhhhhh....Home :thumbsup_anim:

Find out exactly how long they want to be on the road.

Also, ask them if they want to travel every day or stay several nights at fewer places.

Superiors north shore is an absolute no brainer.

A few more details and I'll pm you a couple of possible itineraries.

They are talking about 7-10 days on the road. They have no idea where to go, so they don't really have any ideas. Gees, they were asking me. I think they are open to anything really.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very much appreciated.

Doug.

I'd say they should at least see one of the Great Lakes from shore, probably at Wasaga or Sauble beach. Going up the Bruce Pen is nice.

Algonquin park and/or Bon Echo PP would be a good stop as well. Canoeing the French River PP is nice too.

Elora Gorge for tubing?

I'd say they should at least see one of the Great Lakes from shore, probably at Wasaga or Sauble beach. Going up the Bruce Pen is nice.

Algonquin park and/or Bon Echo PP would be a good stop as well. Canoeing the French River PP is nice too.

Elora Gorge for tubing?

You must be reading my thoughts?Bon echo for a canoe ride and to see the old paintings on the wall,Elora tubing is awesome and a little flyfishing to go with it.Alg is always good.But you forgot tobermory and bruce national park, always nice and for some reason its always sunny there,lions head the 45th parallel as well.

They are talking about 7-10 days on the road. They have no idea where to go, so they don't really have any ideas. Gees, they were asking me. I think they are open to anything really.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very much appreciated.

Doug.

How old are the children... that might be something to consider too ;)

musta been 15 people shore castin up there 2 weeks ago.

There are a handfull of guys that used to fish old woman and keep it on the DL due to what you have seen, know we have left and starting to fish elsewhere...15 People is nothing, there are days when there could be 30 people staring at a rod tip...the saying now down there is "only the scabs fish there"

Sorry to hijack