Solar Power Question?? (NF)

steve_paul

Just starting to look into adding a solar power system for my aunt's cottage on the French River. We don't need much power - just enough to run:

1 Fridge

A few lights at night

Small pump

Any body using solar now for their cottages / homes? Any recommendations of companies to check out?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by steve_paul

I don't konw all the numbers but here is what i would suggest:

Fridge, lights, and heating if you aren't using wood: propane

TV and other electronic things a small generator.

Solar power requires big batteries; heavy expensive, prone to failure.

I would love to hear more about this though as I am always ready to learn about that which I don't know much about!!!!!!!

My cabin is water access and completely off the grid. I've got 2 100lb propane tanks hooked up together. It's used to power the fridge, stove, some lights, and a gravity fed on demand hot water heater.

Last year I installed 2 of the large solar panels from Canadian Tire on the roof. They're wired to 2 deep cycle batteries in conjunction with a charge controller. These batteries are used to power 8 low voltage lights which I installed throughout the cottage, as well as a small 12V fan which vents the composting toilet in the bathroom.

For TV, every time I head up there I bring a power pack (also from C.T.) which is used in conjunction with a small power inverter. We don't watch a "ton" of tv, mostly Dora the Explorer videos for my 3 yr old daughter in the mornings, and the odd movie for my wife and I in the evenings. It's lasted for more than a week at a time for us before it needs recharging.

I've got a Honda generator, but that's used for 1 thing: my power tools (reno's never end ;) ).

As mentioned my water system is gravity fed...I use a small gas powered jet pump to pump the water from the lake, up the hill to our water tower behind the cabin. Lines run from the tower and feed (as mentioned) our on demand water heater, which feeds the shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. There are as well, accompanying cold water outlets...We've got quite a run from the tower to the cabin, that combined with the head pressure from the water tank gives us unbelievable water pressure in the cabin. In fact, it's better than our pressure at home!

I believe, through trial and error, I have the perfect system for a cabin or cottage of the grid. If you have any more specific questions I'd be more than happy to help! B)

cheers, Mike

Though I imagine it can be done, in the many camps Ive been to propane is by far the most popular method to power the fridge, stove. I believe the other items you mentioned could be run off a fairly small solar panel/battery bank. Especially if you use LED lights. Im very interested in hearing more about this also

I have done a little research on this for my cottage. We stay there for most of the summer months. Would love to get off the grid. Most people that I have talked to that have done this use a combination of wind, solar and some propane. Most have generators for backup. They have told me on sunny days there is usually less wind and cloudy days the wind generator gets the workout. Electric refrigerators are power hungry and most use propane. There are tons of information on internet sites to research your needs. Its still not cheap but it is improving. Let us know what you come up with.

Check this guy out. He's a good friend of mine in Toronto who's been installing solar panels residentially (cottages too in the Kawarthas) for the past year or so. I think the prices are very reasonable but I really can't speak to whether this is the right fit or not for you. Check out the site or give him a call - you'll definitely get the straight goods from him. Just tell him M.O.B. sent you!

http://www.goldwatersolar.com/

If you're referring to the old nitwit from the Canadian Tire commercial claining to power everything in his boat by solar, he was full of bullchunks. Even the large panel (15 watt) will only give you 1 amp under the most ideal conditions, full sunlight, panel angled at 90 degress to the sun and adjusted to follow the sun for the whole day..so from about 930 to 1730 daily is about 8 hoursx 1 amp = 8 amps back into the battery. You figure out how any good days it will take to recharge. If you use it to maintain a fully charged battery, they will do fine.

I don't have the specifics but for my family's cottage, Sunvolts in Parrysound supplied the system, which is four panels, an inverter and bank of eight batteries....Cottage is completely off the grid, so we have a honda generator as a backup.....Able to run cottage,with a freezer,but we run a propane fridge.... stove....