Centerpin

s2k4mee

So last week, I had the opportunity to join a friend of mine fishing the Credit River. I didn't have any of the fancy float reels and such. He just told me to bring a spinning reel and he would outfit me with a 9 foot rod so I can somewhat float fish. While he of course was all decked out. Needless to say, I think I want IN. Where does one even begin??? Currently in the market for a reel and rod. Budget say 700 for both. I understand there's other terminal tackle and such, but I'll worry about that later.

Please guide this lost noobie =)

$700 is a lot of money, and you can get topnotch gear for that price.

I don't know too much about specific model and specs, but I'll say:

- For fishing the Credit, I suggest you get a rod at least 13 feet.

- float reel, Islander, Kingpin.

- Don't forget about secondhand items posted in the classified section (you can save a lot of money, but if $$ is not an issue, ignore this point)

- Try floatfishing.net, their forum & classified section appears to be more centerpin specific (OFC is still the best for General Discussion!)

- The Credit River Angler Association website also has a wealth of information on their forum & classified section.

Centerpin fishing is really all about your presentation. :)

So last week, I had the opportunity to join a friend of mine fishing the Credit River. I didn't have any of the fancy float reels and such. He just told me to bring a spinning reel and he would outfit me with a 9 foot rod so I can somewhat float fish. While he of course was all decked out. Needless to say, I think I want IN. Where does one even begin??? Currently in the market for a reel and rod. Budget say 700 for both. I understand there's other terminal tackle and such, but I'll worry about that later.

Please guide this lost noobie =)

A g loomis reel and a raven rod would suffice for your budget.I currently have the same and quit happy with it.The reel should be replaced but it will do for now.

Hi i'm in the same boat. looking to start off as well, but my budget is much less. I think i'm willing to spend about 400 for both, whats the cheapest I can get? For the rod, is there something that can be folded more, like 4 sections? I'm trying to look for the most compact combo.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i fish a raven rod and an entry level reel, grand total, 450 dollars...

you'd have a VERY difficult time convincing me that i'd catch more fish on a 700 dollar combo...

i'd suggest trying it out first, and make sure that you will be able to spend the river hours needed to justify higher end gear...

i'd be more inclined to spend more money on proper floats, light mono, high quality fluoro, sharp as hell hooks and quality steelhead shot. i bet i spend 400 dollars a season on that stuff alone and the quality of this gear WILL impact how many fish you hook (and land)..

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I just started last fall and am using a 13ft 2pc Raven IM8 and it's wicked.

As far as the reel, I still use spinning but will also be buying

a centerpin soon.

Dr. Salvelinus is bang on. Floats, Line, Hooks and Weights are all equally important...and then there's timing.

Edited by laszlo

thanks guys =)

The only reason i don't want to start off with a lower end reel is I hate having to spend more money later upgrading. I rather eat up the bulk of it now rather then slowly replacing stuff which will end up costing me more in the long run. I work 5 mins from the credit, so getting there isn't a prob =D

thanks again

I agree with Dr. S. that you don't need a $700 combo to catch more fish. I use and guide with Sheffield and Raven centerpin reels and Raven and St.Croix Rods which are combos under or around $400.00 with taxes. You can get yourself some quality floats, a hi vis floating main line, good florocarbon, split shots, swivels and good hooks and a decent rod/reel combo that will last you for years for all under $500.00.

I did'nt like my Islander, I found it to heavy and sold it after the first year. I also didn't like using the Sheffield Sirata, the reel itself was nice but I really didn't like the drag system on a float reel, the last thing I want to be doing is clicking the drag switch on and adjusting drag with a balistic steelhead on the line, I much prefer a manual hand drag so I prefer the regular Sheffield reel over the Sirata.

I used the ROSS Flow and liked it with nothing realy bad to say about it but I think for the price the Raven SST3 is a better reel.

Being a relatively new steelheader, if you are going to spend your money somewhere, spend it on the rod opposed to the reel. Don't get me wrong, I love my AngSpec, but I could get away with using my $200 Streamside and land the same amount of fish as I could on the high priced workhorse.

Also Dr.S is right, save some $$$ for floats, terminal tackle, leader, etc etc. Those things add up real fast...

From what I've heard the new St.Croix rods are really good bang for the buck, might wanna check them out.

Also, buy used.. You can save a tonne of $$$.

Sorry to interupt the topic.Since we are talking about float rods and reels.Does anyone know if McIntyre is still making float reels?He was or is in the mount hope/caledonia area.I would like to have on of his smaller float reels again.

one more thing, which would you choose out of these. price difference is only about 40 bucks between the most and the least.

Raven SST 3

Sheffield Sirata

Ross Flow

Islander IS

Islander gets my vote...Bullet proof reels that run smooth, don't wobble and can be used pretty much in every flow imaginable.

Only gripes I have are the line capacity is insanely huge...Also seems the clicker on mine was designed for right hand retrieve so the line comes out a little too easy when walking from spot to spot - Islander might've changed this though as my friend doesn't have the problem with his...I bought mine a while back when they phased out the Pacific Steelheader. Had mine for years and keeps on trucking.

For a value reel, I was pretty impressed with the Okuma Aventa my friend has - Knock off of the old Raven SST if you think about it...It runs surprisingly smooth for the price.

As others have mentioned, I'd worry more about the rod than the reel.

would anyone pay 400 for a used gl3 and j.w young purist?

I'd jump on it like a fat kid on chocolate :thumbsup_anim:

Great deal

save money for gas and fish where the fish are in.

Where the extra money on rods comes in is big water I think. If you fish big, heavy flows alot spending a few bucks on a quality rod thats strong enough to turn fish yet not a war club that is tiring to fish all day helps.

A combo I've been happy with is the Raven 14' IM8 with a SST2, good for most situations....fresh manistee steelhead a mile from the lake exempted.

Edited by troutologist

one more question... are reels specific to right or left hand retrieve?? I am left handed, not sure if it makes a difference...

In terms of actually working the free-spool...No

Reels with drags or anti-reverse mechanisms usually are hand retrieve specific - even then they can be switched around at least for drag models...But if you don't use them or get a reel with those features, it doesn't matter.

The clicker on my islander is a little quirky...Presumably because most people in BC where it was made retrieve with their right hand...The clicker tension lets line out way easier than it is to reel in. Tightening it only seems to make reeling in harder. The only times I use the clicker is when walking from spot to spot or when I'm in the process of unhooking fish.

From what I've heard the new St.Croix rods are really good bang for the buck, might wanna check them out.

Also, buy used.. You can save a tonne of $$$.

I agree with Bill on both points, if your buying new you can't go wrong with the new 13ft St.Croix Avid for the money and there are tons of decent used pins that pop up for sale that you can save some money on.

Thanks for everyones input. Much appreciated. I'll continue reading and researching before I spend some coins.

I have a buddy who is selling a 13ft St. Croix Avid, with a stanton float reel if your interested. WELL within your budget, and its only been used a couple times.....literally.

PM me if your interested. He's in London.

S.