Heading to Punta Cana soon

kickingfrog

My wife and I are heading to the Dominica Republic for 7 days sans our 15 month old son. I'll be bringing a pack rod, some tackle and a camera. We'll see what happens. I know I will come back with some nice photos, I just hope there are a few fish in them to.

I hope to get out on a boat for at least a day as well. I think I have a handle on what type of lures to use, but I"m always willing to listen to advice, so chime in if you have some tips for this great (pasty) white fisherman.

Edited by kickingfrog

Enjoy your vacation and bring lots of Immodium and I mean it! HDH in midland has been reporting an extra amount of people coming back, specifically from punta cana with severed stomach problems, some as much as pooping blood.

My wife and two girls and I were severely sick down there, and it extended 2 weeks, after we returned home.

It is a beautiful place, but I certainly won't be returning to the Dominican. I've been to cuba 3 times and mexico once and never, ever had experienced anything like that.

Upgrade if you can, you can drink Heineken out of bottles all week instead of Presidente crap :)

My wife and I are heading to the Dominica Republic for 7 days sans our 15 month old son. I'll be bringing a pack rod, some tackle and a camera. We'll see what happens. I know I will come back with some nice photos, I just hope there are a few fish in them to.

I hope to get out on a boat for at least a day as well. I think I have a handle on what type of lures to use, but I"m always willing to listen to advice, so chime in if you have some tips for this great (pasty) white fisherman.

Enjoy your vacation and bring lots of Immodium and I mean it! HDH in midland has been reporting an extra amount of people coming back, specifically from punta cana with severed stomach problems, some as much as pooping blood.

My wife and two girls and I were severely sick down there, and it extended 2 weeks, after we returned home.

It is a beautiful place, but I certainly won't be returning to the Dominican. I've been to cuba 3 times and mexico once and never, ever had experienced anything like that.

Upgrade if you can, you can drink Heineken out of bottles all week instead of Presidente crap :)

I have Fished in Punta Cana! have you ever been before? I took a charter out, and had a blast! caught all kinds of Wahoo... and seeing the flying fish all over the place was amazing!

What resort are you staying at? have you considered a charter? it wasnt too bad about 400 USD if I remember correctly. I can put you onto the reputable service I used if you are interested

G.

I have never had a problem in the DR...

The issue can arise when people over indulge as is often the case at an AI resort... Or from water, do not drink it from the tap or brush you're teeth with it. Use the bottled water provided.

G

Thanks for your insight Gerritt. :worthy:

Certainly dind't over indulge. We had two cases of bottled water brought into our room, explained everything to my two girls about the water and not brushing your teeth with it, etc, etc, etc. We took all precautions we could, as this was the first time we brought my 11 and 12 year olds.

Sometimes you have to consider that it isn't the over indulging and or the water, that it is actually in the cooking, the preperation of the food or just plainly the food itself. Dominican certainly isn't a clean place by any means, but it is beautiful.

Have an enjoyable experience KickingFrog, you'll love it. Just be cautious with the food is all I'm saying to ya' ;)

I have never had a problem in the DR...

The issue can arise when people over indulge as is often the case at an AI resort... Or from water, do not drink it from the tap or brush you're teeth with it. Use the bottled water provided.

G

I went to Dominican in feb stayed at the Grand Bahia Princapa Bavaro.

It was a blast had a great time butt myself and my wife got a terrible stomick sicness lasted 2 weeks .

Didnt drink the water just beer and bottled water and brushed my teath with bottled water aswell..

Didn't get out to do any fishing I had it booked for the 2and last day there and was worried about the toilett facilities on the boat .. Nott for myself I would have wore a diaper or just went over the boat but my wife wasnt so inclined ... :whistling:

have a great trip and take some thing for the "SQUIRTS"..

:blush: DONT DRINK THE WATER :blush:

Kickingfrog, it is too late for you to take Dukoral as it has to be taken in doses weeks before you go but...Call your doctor and see if he will give you CIPROFLOXACIN HCL 1000mg.

This stuff is amazing. If you think you have the starting of the "Dominican trots" then pop one of these babies and all will be well. continue one a day for the remainder of your visit. Hope all goes well...... as for fishing there is an outfit down by the yellow huts on the beach or ask some of the guys at your resort that deal with the water toys. They usually know someone who might take you off shore cheap. If you are surf fishing or casting around a dock or pier grab some shrimp from the buffet or ask at the kitchen ,great bait. Be sure to wash you reel off with hot water after fishing as the salt water is not friendly to fresh water gear. After fishing ,drink heavily there is just you and mama ..no kids ;)

I stayed there at the Bahia last year.No problems with the water as long as it was bottled.Did not do too well shore fishing.Silver rattletrap and white MR Twister produced small surf fish but it was fun.Watch out for the Iguanas.

Joe

not sure about DR but was in mexico last year....woke my ass up and was at the docks EVERY morning at 8am and waited until 10 every day when fishing was cancelled due to wind....then of course last night i was like enough of this noise, i'm not getting up...and or course fishin was good to go then

I met a few guys on the beach that were doing fairly well casting from shore...using williams spoons and husky jerks...

I tried to get some info out of the charter captain but wasn't much tossed out...pretty sure most of the boat fishing is using bait

and if you're booking a charter do NOT book from the resort...cost an arm and a leg...i've just gone down to the docks and walked around and you can barter a good rate and it is not sketchy like most would think...make sure you ask to see the boat before hand and iff possible pics from previous trips

Edited by bare foot wader

not sure about DR but was in mexico last year....woke my ass up and was at the docks EVERY morning at 8am and waited until 10 every day when fishing was cancelled due to wind....then of course last night i was like enough of this noise, i'm not getting up...and or course fishin was good to go then

I met a few guys on the beach that were doing fairly well casting from shore...using williams spoons and husky jerks...

I tried to get some info out of the charter captain but wasn't much tossed out...pretty sure most of the boat fishing is using bait

and if you're booking a charter do NOT book from the resort...cost an arm and a leg...i've just gone down to the docks and walked around and you can barter a good rate and it is not sketchy like most would think...make sure you ask to see the boat before hand and iff possible pics from previous trips

Spot on..the resort trips and not just the fishing trips are way overpriced.You can do better at the docks or at the vendors on the beach.A little spanish and a couple of bucks and you are in.The trips are pretty much all the same,the resorts package them differently but there is a premium for thier service.Enjoy your trip!

Joe

Very true! I booked my charter well in advance of arriving at my resort, they picked us up, and dropped us off it was all set up a month before our arrival.. it was 200 PP for this charter.. and this was a PRIVATE charter.. not a shared one, upon a 34' boat.

G.

Good to hear...

..found my Brother, first time in history, of a charter airline going down in Canada, that their pay and holiday pay hit their bank accounts the day before court (late last night)... and 9 days early to boot for the 2nd 1/2 of March pay cheques. Something is fishy... not the end of Skyservice. Hard to figure how a billed at total operating costs + a premium to the travel companys they do flights for can be in debt, unless it's purposely orchestrated. Watch for Thomas Cook to grab a portion and run with it for Canadian market foot hold.

I was talking to my travel agent tonight.. as we are in the process of booking a trip to Punta Cana again!... and she told me that somehow skyservice and Air Transat are under the same "wing" so to speak.. and those people that were booked for skyservice will be accommodated by Transat?

I dunno... just what my TA told me tonight when I went to book my trip..

G

They are not under the same "wing". The travel operator just happens to have contracts with both carriers.. making it easier to swing service to Transat, especially at the end of the carribean tourist season in Canada when many Jets are sitting idle. Enerjet is a another Charter only airline that will fill the gap.

If you don't like watching things bend.... don't get a wing seat! lol

stmaartenjan2010010.jpg

I always take the window.Love to see engineering in action.They can pick those babies up by the wingtips and they wont break.Cool stuff!

Joe