Blue slime Walleye

dada2727

Daryl i just googled the slime. It is not uncommon. Here is what I found

Blue pigment (Sandercyanin) is produced in membrane-bounded vesicles (440x) just posterior (toward tail) to each dorsal spine and next to an adjacent blood vessel.

Just google blue slime on walleyes

Edited by Caribou

This is very interesting. By no means am I an expert, however, I do know there is a breed of Blue Walleye which excrete a blue mucous, but never have I seen anything to this degree. Typically fish will excrete excessive mucous if water quality is poor, overcrowding, or if the fish is stressed. I'm not sure when this fish was caught, but typically you will see more mucous on walleye during the latter summer months. The University of Wisconsin completed a study on blue walleye. See link below - I'm sure you will see similarities in pigment color.

http://wayneschaefer.blogspot.com/

Edited by LimbLifter

bang on.... I love the way that you've worded it " Blue Slime Walleye"... that name should be adopted by the MNR.

or maybe not.... It could actually complicate things...now we'd have to be able to differentiate a *Extinct "Blue Walleye" and the new "Blue Slime Walleye".... nonetheless I like your choice of words.

RFS

:canadian:

Spawning season is fast approaching for walleye and from what I have seen of other fish who are about to spawn, there is more slime on the fish as added protection from all the rubbing that goes one when spawning.

I catch several with the blue slime every year on Restoule.Never really thought much about it since the fish have a blue colour also.

Yeah, I was catching blue walleye through the ice out of Kipewa Lake a few weeks ago. They were'nt slimy though.

Yeah, I was catching blue walleye through the ice out of Kipewa Lake a few weeks ago. They were'nt slimy though.

I've also caught lots of blue coloured walleye out of Kipawa. :)

The one pictured above looks like the heavy slime of fish that have been laying in the snow.