What bait to buy for Temagami?

10point

I have booked a trip to the South end of Lake Temagami for the last week in June. I haven't been fishing that long and don't have a lot of bait and I am wondering what I should buy? We will be targeting smallmouth, walleye, northern, whitefish. Basically anything we can catch. Sounds like our best chace for catching fish is smallmouth and someone suggested soft plastics are good up there. I also read that a floating #9 rapala in silver/black is the go to bait up there. What about bait for Walleyes? I will probably get some spoons for Northerns. Any other suggestions?

If it was anything like my last trip there get a map back to haliburton or the kawarthas

:D:D

Can be a tough lake to crack 10 point... but they're there, no doubt about that. Smallies seem to hit most anything.. even 10" Muskie baits. Find a shoreline rock pile.. any rock pile and cast a crank bait at it and you'll find a bass.

Walleye... best bet for success... pick any channel marker and fish between it and the rock pile it marks in the last hour of day light. 3 inch live minnows or a yellow grub twister tail jig. The 'eye's are use to eating grubs off logs etc.. They also seem to like perch pattern crankbaits about 3 or 4 inches long. I've caught my best from my dock on same.... as well as pike to 35" so far.

Whitefish... I'd suspect you're jigging bottom just like in the winter. Find a mud/silt flat and try some small jigs, micro tubes, rubber crayfish etc a few feet off bottom. If they're hungry.. they'll come up and nail it.

Lakers by late June, depending on water temps will just be starting to go for the depths. Some years we're still flat lining spoons that only run about 8 feet down.. and others dipsy diver or rigger down about 25 feet and we pick a fair number of eaters up.

If you are staying at Tamar... there's a deep oval hole off the West side of the island there. Depending on water temp.. find the structure changes vs correct depth for 52F water and troll it, or jig it. You'll find them..

Fish predominantly the north end with a couple of honey holes mid to south side. I'm sure the same lures will work

Smallies

pop r's against the shore, xraps in the small size best colors for me where the clown and the green back. Berkley 3" gulp any color on a jig. and I'd never leave the dock without a good selection of 4" senkos. dark colors have been ridiculous the last couple of years but also white

I drop shot now a lot for smallies up there and use the senkos and 3" Gulp

Walleye

I like to troll up there to cover water. Walleyes can be the hardest to find in that lake and they move around day to day. Bottom bouncers with a worm harness is hard to beat. Get some local advice as to places to start. At that time of year I don't think people fish deep enough. I like 25-30 FOW for trolling and then move up to 15-20 ft breaks/points for the evening bite. Chartruese and orange blades work best for me. If you do get on the walleye for jigging or just still fishing, slip bobbers are deadly. Worms, leeches and 3" Gulp all work under a slip float.

Pike

Find a good weed bed in 10 FOW. The best ones are close to wooded shorelines. Cross Bay/Lake is really good pike water. My pike bait of choice is a 5" swim bait. Saw the biggest pike of my life last year follow my swim bait right back to the boat. Just as I flicked it to change direction it exploded the water but missed the bait by a foot. My son doesn't want to go swimming up there any more.

Lakers

Everybody up there has their fav trolling/jigging spots. Off the riggers - Sutton spoons , ripplin redfins, J9 Rapalas, gang trolls with threaded minnows/small spoons. I also like to troll and achovy head rigged with 4" Gulp. For jigging, bad boys, crippled herrings, swedish pimples. Look for steep drop offs into 80+ FOW - or any deep water shoals/structures.

Fish predominantly the north end with a couple of honey holes mid to south side. I'm sure the same lures will work

Smallies

pop r's against the shore, xraps in the small size best colors for me where the clown and the green back. Berkley 3" gulp any color on a jig. and I'd never leave the dock without a good selection of 4" senkos. dark colors have been ridiculous the last couple of years but also white

I drop shot now a lot for smallies up there and use the senkos and 3" Gulp

Walleye

I like to troll up there to cover water. Walleyes can be the hardest to find in that lake and they move around day to day. Bottom bouncers with a worm harness is hard to beat. Get some local advice as to places to start. At that time of year I don't think people fish deep enough. I like 25-30 FOW for trolling and then move up to 15-20 ft breaks/points for the evening bite. Chartruese and orange blades work best for me. If you do get on the walleye for jigging or just still fishing, slip bobbers are deadly. Worms, leeches and 3" Gulp all work under a slip float.

Pike

Find a good weed bed in 10 FOW. The best ones are close to wooded shorelines. Cross Bay/Lake is really good pike water. My pike bait of choice is a 5" swim bait. Saw the biggest pike of my life last year follow my swim bait right back to the boat. Just as I flicked it to change direction it exploded the water but missed the bait by a foot. My son doesn't want to go swimming up there any more.

Lakers

Everybody up there has their fav trolling/jigging spots. Off the riggers - Sutton spoons , ripplin redfins, J9 Rapalas, gang trolls with threaded minnows/small spoons. I also like to troll and achovy head rigged with 4" Gulp. For jigging, bad boys, crippled herrings, swedish pimples. Look for steep drop offs into 80+ FOW - or any deep water shoals/structures.

Solid fishing advise there.

And not a product to push or an endorsement to defend.

Jim

TMH

when are you there in July. My families always up there last 2 weeks. We bunk in with Rick and stay in the little cottage on the dock. If you see a red crestliner parked on at his dock drop by. We'll go terrorize the smallies up in kokoko or obabika.

We always do a couple campfire nights and get the guitars and crown royal out so drop by

Paul