Truth or Urban Myth in Ontario?

AzuluSpookd

IMO the OMNR should be called in and with the evidence/police testimony use the new hunting harrassment law to address the issue. I'm not sure whether a fine structure is in place to support this relatively new legislation, but by simply being charged the media will become interested and hopefully will expose the neighbour for the buffoon he is and this should affect his political aspirations. If the local CO is unwilling/unsure/unable to assist then call the head office in Peterborough and speak to the head of enforcement to get the ball....and chain... rolling.

Guest gbfisher

Marty....I think you have a little backwards when it comes to posting No hunting on a property. If a property is posted 'no hunting' it can be designated as a no hunting area by the mnr. If no hunting is posted to keep hunters out then yes, the owner can't hunt it either.

It's best to post the property every 25 yards with 'no trespassing'.

Harassing someone while they are hunting is a NO NO..Even the MNR will not bug someone when they are hunting. Its not safe. hunting accidents happen.. <_< .

Have buddy charged. I'm sure your friend can make up a charge and have it stick. :D Two against one and law enforcement usually works... ;)

Edited by gbfisher

Some good points fellas....and for the record.....whether its a red dot or not is irrelevant. If a landowner posts No Hunting and/or No Tresspassing signs on his property, they and anybody he gives permission to can still hunt that property. The posting is for other hunters/peoples/tresspassers, not for the landowner. Think about it. This was confirmed by the CO's, as well as the Crown Attorney a few days ago. It's an Urban Myth.....

Guest gbfisher

Another regulation ambiguity.....lol..I was told other wise.... :lol: I was also told that the OMNR could make it a no hunting area knowing it was posted "NO HUNTING"....My buddy didnt end up posting no hunting signs but instead posted the hell out of the property making it very clear that there was no tresspassing...

Now did you ever get WRITTEN permission.. from the guy with the no tresspassing signs on his property.. to hunt ! :o

I believe on Manitoulin Island you have to carry written permission from the landowner.

There was talk of doing that here on St Joeseph Island as well

I used to sign a "permission" form to hunt a piece of private property. It actually was a tool I could use if I ran into other hunters who were tresspassing. It was also written that they were in no way liable for any injury or accident on their property. Added piece of mind for them.

Edited by Harrison

I used to sign a "permission" form to hunt a piece of private property. It actually was a tool I could use if I ran into other hunters who were tresspassing. It was also written that they were in no way liable for any injury or accident on their property. Added piece of mind for them.

OFAH has the exact form you mention Phil... I have a couple on my fridge for guys I've given permission to hunt our property. It's a two way thing.. gives the hunter a copy to show authorities/others that they have permission to be there.. and gives the landowner a copy to state the hunters name and when they can hunt and what they have permission to hunt for on said property.

Edited by irishfield

Ha Ha.... :D I have recording of your voice giving me permission :)

Andy, certainly if the landowner posts his land no hunting, with the intent that there actually be no hunting, the mnr, in conjunction with the landowner can then declare the land no hunting. But, a landowner who hunts his own property, who puts up a no hunting sign in order to keep other people out, can still do whatever he likes with his own property.

I was razin Marty for hunting on my posted land Dara! ... but I always thought you needed written permission, to present if questioned by a CO, when not hunting on Crown Land.

Guest gbfisher

Well then there are two MNR officers contradicting each other... :D How come that doesn't surprise me?... :rolleyes:

I thought I was taught that in the hunting course I took years ago as well..... :dunno:

If the land is posted no tresspassing.. or no hunting.. in either case the land owner has to request for the charge to be laid.. as it is his land, not the crowns. Can't see anyone laying the charge against themselves!!!

However.. I do understand that down east New Brunswick way.. no hunting means just that to fish and wildlife officers

If you want to prohibit all shooting, hunting and trapping, then you can post red disks or put painted red bands around trees or posts. These red disks and bands mean that no one, not even the owner or occupier, can hunt, shoot or trap on the property.

If you want to allow people to hunt, shoot, or trap, or any combination of these activities, on your property but only if they ask you first, then you may post yellow disks or put yellow painted bands around trees. These yellow disks and bands mean that the permission of the owner or occupier is required. You must register the posting of these yellow disks with the Minister of Natural Resources and Energy each year.

Signs must be posted at each corner of the land, at every entry point, and every 100 metres along the edge of the land.

Guest gbfisher

It's hazy now! Everything was clear back then.... :rolleyes:

But then you'd know the feeling. :P

Don't get me goin about CO's or Crown attorneys now..... :lol: