Osprey Centrepin Reel

anders

Yeah , what Drifter said, but if you like to collect old, Ontario made pins perhaps :D

They were made by D&M in Milton, here is a few pics I found that the links still work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Sag...ter/Osprey1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Sag...ter/Osprey3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Com.../CIMG0536sm.jpg

Has any body heard or experience with these reels good or bad?

Just need feedback..thanks

If you're referring to the D&M one, they were heavy and not exactly the smoothest running reels (at least the 2 I played with seemed). I remember seeing D&M ads for them in OOD magazines and wanting one of them so bad when I was 11yrs old :lol:

There is another Osprey as well, Run from them as fast as possible, don't look back!!!!

Bought one of them for $16US to use as a loaner reel...Friend was convinced it was a JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader prototype :lol: Offered me $175 for it despite telling him otherwise (a few times). Told him you don't get reels with bullet proof anodization like this :whistling: and he bumped it up to $200 :D

Bought one of them for $16US to use as a loaner reel...Friend was convinced it was a JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader prototype :lol: Offered me $175 for it despite telling him otherwise (a few times). Told him you don't get reels with bullet proof anodization like this :whistling: and he bumped it up to $200 :D

There up to $24 now if you have any more friends :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Float-Reel-Centre-P...=item4a9c70d87e

Guess " Stubla " is Russian for Osprey

Love the warning " Beware of cheap imitations " :D

Edited by dave524

OK, I am lost. I have scanned the internet, read all the threads in here. What is the best centrepin to buy for under $200. I am just curious and there is so much confusing info. Are the Okuma reels good for a beginner or are they just crap. I have heard both answers from several different people...... :wallbash: :wallbash:

OK, I am lost. I have scanned the internet, read all the threads in here. What is the best centrepin to buy for under $200. I am just curious and there is so much confusing info. Are the Okuma reels good for a beginner or are they just crap. I have heard both answers from several different people...... :wallbash: :wallbash:

They are a fine beginner reel, you can't go wrong for the price.

^^ actually i wouldnt recomend buying it period. i bought one and i cant even say its the worst reel ive ever owned. i hooked into a boot one season and the reel lip cut my hand when the salmon went for a run. it has a flimsy build and is held together by rivets, in the end u get what u pay for.

Dang, don't tell me that it's NOT a JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader prototype, :wallbash: :wallbash: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

IMG_1433.jpg

Dang, don't tell me that it's NOT a JW Young Great Lakes Steelheader prototype, :wallbash: :wallbash: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

IMG_1433.jpg

Sad to say that might be the case…Judging by your collection, you may also be in possession of a Cloof float reel (Top right). A counter fit Clough made in the sketchy sweatshops of Mumbai, India. Inferior products are often used in counter fit reels like this and pose a safety risk to the angler.

Send it in to me for a free appraisal and analysis. You should be able to get it back in 8-10 weeks depending on how well the run is going………..……I mean the time it takes to get it carbon dated and have tiny scrapings of the anodized finish viewed under an electron microscope :whistling: . You’ll get a certificate of authentication stamped, MIKEY APPROVED if it’s a legitimate piece :thumbsup_anim:

Sad to say that might be the case…Judging by your collection, you may also be in possession of a Cloof float reel (Top right). A counter fit Clough made in the sketchy sweatshops of Mumbai, India. Inferior products are often used in counter fit reels like this and pose a safety risk to the angler.

Send it in to me for a free appraisal and analysis. You should be able to get it back in 8-10 weeks depending on how well the run is going………..……I mean the time it takes to get it carbon dated and have tiny scrapings of the anodized finish viewed under an electron microscope :whistling: . You’ll get a certificate of authentication stamped, MIKEY APPROVED if it’s a legitimate piece :thumbsup_anim:

LOL.....you is a funny guy Mike. :P

I owned the osprey for about half a season. It was a terrible reel. super heavy, short nubby handles and it wobbled all over the place. I could only loosely tighten the nut otherwise the thing would not spin. Still caught quite a few fish with it. Mine was a prototype and the maker punched some holes in it to make the spool a bit lighter.