Fishing Kayak

Hey,

I have posted before about buying a kayak for fishing and i had asked about advice about which one. I am just wondering if this one that i have posted a link to would be a good starter one.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...g%252BKayak.jsp

I have used a pelican kayak before basically the same one just not outfitted for fishing and i actually dont mind the way it feels and the layout of it. So i think the fishing model might be the one for me. It went on sale last year for 100 dollars less.

Thanks Jason

Paddling.net has reviews & specs for pretty much every boat sold in N.America, though they're only as good as the monkey behind the keyboard.

Personally the only Pelican I'd look at would be their Elite series bought at a real paddling store.

Pure, what the heck is going on with Yakfisher.net?

Edited by CLofchik

The first decision is whether you want a sit-on-top or a sit-in yak. They both have their advantages. Almost anyone that fishes from a yak a lot eventually goes to a SOT: they are just nicer to fish out of.

Ask most folks that have been yak fishing for awhile and they will tell you not to buy a special "angler version" of a boat. Usually, the only real difference is a couple of rod holders, and they are often mounted someplace other than where you want them to be. It's super easy to outfit a boat yourself by adding the rod holders, and any other accessories, exactly where you want them.

Good advice about trying a boat before you buy it. I don't know anyplace that carries Pelican boats that offers a try before you buy service.

I have the outfitted Pelican and it is a good entry kayak ...I'm 5'11" at 240lbs and it keeps me afloat and gets me everywhere I want to go. For the amount of times I go out in a season this kayak does the trick...

Cheers !!

determine what is the type of water you will fish the most and make your decision based on that. I would go with a Sit-On-Top, regardless of what conditions you may be fishing in. Sit-In-Kayaks are too confining, difficult to rig, harder to get in-out of and your legs are touching the hull that is the same temp as the water.

Here's a bit of a guideline;

10-13' kayaks for small rivers/reservoirs/inland lakes

13-16' for large rivers/inland lakes and the Great lakes

I personally wouldn't go with a boat shorter than 12' because they don't track very well.

All the kayak dealers will be having spring demo days in the coming months, including Swift. Like everyone said, "try before you buy".