Death of a Passion

Eazy

I'm finding that the lowered limits on Lakers is very discouraging.........I mean who's going to load all their gear up, take a short journey into the remote wilderness just to come back with one legal nice sized fish??....Hardly worth it!......Try targeting different species some say?....We all know it's just a matter of time before these resources too are deemed "depleted" by someone sitting behind a computer screen that punches in some formula?....W'ell never be told that we can't fish, that would be politically incorrect, w'ell just be restricted to the point that everyone just decides that it's not worth it.......is it just me, or are the great outdoors that w'eve enjoyed for generations now ever so slowly being taken away from us?.........All comments appreciated!

you are 100% right! its just not worth it to load up the gear and use the gas and energy it takes, just to get one or two lakers. i wasnt too happy when they came out with that reg. as for trails and what not for biking, 4 wheeleing, dirtbiking, what ever you do, its all slowly being taken away and we gotta fight for it! they shoulda never set that reg out for lakers anyway. cause how many people do you really think are gunna follow that? like one guy i know. he went to achigan lake one weekend last month and caught way over their limit in lake trout so they decided to have a shore lunch and take the rest back to the camp which they were still about 3 fish over the limit (talking lake trout of course). i found it EXTREMELY hard to bite my tounge about that one! i just cant stand some peoples attitudes towards the outdoors and mostly regarding the fishing aspect. the opp and mnr should crack down so then not so many people would get away with this. I myself am trying to persue a career with the MNR. if all else fails its heavy diesel mechanic time! hahaha.

anyhow thats my opinion on the situation with a little rant added. :wallbash:

Edited by 462Liquid

If it's what I can bring home that has me deciding what/where and how to fish a certain lake... I'd be a couch potato! Sorry, but that's the way it is. As for the poacher that 462 points out.. you can thank them for your slot situation. I'm sure they did the same thing last year.. and the year before as well. It has nothing to do with the current regs...

Edited by irishfield

I'm finding that the lowered limits on Lakers is very discouraging.........I mean who's going to load all their gear up, take a short journey into the remote wilderness just to come back with one legal nice sized fish??....Hardly worth it!......Try targeting different species some say?....We all know it's just a matter of time before these resources too are deemed "depleted" by someone sitting behind a computer screen that punches in some formula?....W'ell never be told that we can't fish, that would be politically incorrect, w'ell just be restricted to the point that everyone just decides that it's not worth it.......is it just me, or are the great outdoors that w'eve enjoyed for generations now ever so slowly being taken away from us?.........All comments appreciated!

I thought fishing was about the sport, not the table fare.

Agreed, we were out on Simcoe today, kept two smaller lakers, let two larger ones go...I definitely enjoy eating fish, but, were all the limits zero, I would still be out fishing as much as I do today!! :D

If it's what I can bring home that has me deciding what/where and how to fish a certain lake... I'd be a couch potato! Sorry, but that's the way it is. As for the poacher that 462 points out.. you can thank them for your slot situation. I'm sure they did the same thing last year.. and the year before as well. It has nothing to do with the current regs...

and no irishfield, that isnt normally done by them. they did this because they were not aware of the new regs. and yes they should have been caught by mnr....

AND further more, you should realize the poachers that are in your area too? (not trying to offend.. and my appologies if you did take offence to what i said)

sumtin fishy going on here ....

maybe if we all sit and bash the MNR for its said Laker limit the RLTA can bring this thread into their next meeting ....

they put limits for a reason ...when they lowered the rainbow limit to two on lake huron ...i didnt get mad at the MNR.... i got mad at the people that continued to take 5....

thanks to that limit and restocking....we still have fish to appreciate...

i think this thread is confrontational by design ....

here comes another flame

Edited by Twocoda

wow... look at that. startin to get bashed already for having a different opinion... isnt that just peachy?

no bashing going on, mate. it seems people think that there's a difference between sport (passion) and eating, and i'd tend to agree.

if you are concerned about $ per meal, go to the grocery store. I think you will leave a much more satisfied customer.

To me there's nothing more rewarding than coming home after a hard day on the water with a nice feed of fish for the family!

lol well, thanks for the tip jayess. but when i go out i dont worry about cash. i worry about good times and thats exactly what i get. i will on occasion go for lake trout, but not so often anymore. it just doesnt seem worth it to me. and that should be a respected opinion... no?

Edited by 462Liquid

and no irishfield, that isnt normally done by them. they did this because they were not aware of the new regs. and yes they should have been caught by mnr....

AND further more, you should realize the poachers that are in your area too? (not trying to offend.. and my appologies if you did take offence to what i said)

I didn't take any offense to anything you said. It's pretty clear that in years previous they didn't care about regs either with you stating

one weekend last month and caught way over their limit in lake trout so they decided to have a shore lunch and take the rest back to the camp which they were still about 3 fish over the limit (talking lake trout of course)

So they ate some and were still 3 fish over the limit... what was the possession limit last year. I don't think anywhere near that many fish..

Of course there's poachers in my area. I don't fish with then.. nor would I consider them friends... and I wouldn' t bite my tongue if I had full knowledge of their SOP !

So they ate some and were still 3 fish over the limit... what was the possession limit last year. I don't think anywhere near that many fish..

Of course there's poachers in my area. I don't fish with then.. nor would I consider them friends... and I wouldn' t bite my tongue if I had full knowledge of their SOP !

you got a very solid point. im not completely sure what they did in the past. maybe they are poachers? idk. i hardly consider this guy a friend. as i stated he is just more or less a guy i know and seldom talk to. and i am usually a pretty collected guy but when you hear of things like that its not hard to lose control espacially if you have a high respect for the outdoors.

which -may i ad- it sound like you do have that same respect.

Edited by 462Liquid

welcome to the board 462liquid...i too dont find lakers worth the effort of catching ...personnaly i speed up a mile per hour so i dont catch them ....so i spend my time targeting salmon and trout....

how about you ???what do you target ?

welcome to the board 462liquid...i too dont find lakers worth the effort of catching ...personnaly i speed up a mile per hour so i dont catch them ....so i spend my time targeting salmon and trout....

how about you ???what do you target ?

Hey, thanks for the welcome Twocoda!

umm, for me its mostly specks (from a creek rarely a lake), sometimes salmon, but generally walleye, whitefish, pike and bass. perch too.

Fishing for me is about getting out and enjoying a day on the water with friends or even solo. Hell I even just enjoy the ride up to the lake in the wee hours of the morning, coffee in hand, watching the world wake up.

I have a great time every summer chasing carp..strictly 100% C & R, but it's still FISHING and I enjoy it.

We eat fish once a week and NONE of it comes from the grocery store....But fishing for me has NEVER been about putting meat in my freezer.

The next couple of weeks down my way I will be fishing the Lake O tribs for steel and all of them...except maybe 1 nice 7-9LB hen... will be going back to fight another day.

I don't like the new laker regs myself. My biggest problem is not the limit but the size regs.

What do you do if you have a fish on the ice and hook another one the same size and its going to die.

Do you keep it and break the law, do you put a dead fish back in the lake?. From what I understand that is illegal too. We asked a CO that question today at the sports show here and he walked away without answering.

Some laws are just downright stupid. But, at least they give the co's another shot at a bust.

As for not targeting lake trout and going after different species...lake trout taste crappy out of some lakes...grease bombs, and very nice out of other lakes. And they are still legal to catch

Edited by Dara

Agreed, we were out on Simcoe today, kept two smaller lakers, let two larger ones go...I definitely enjoy eating fish, but, were all the limits zero, I would still be out fishing as much as I do today!! :D

How can you fish with a zero limit?

What if you kill one?

Now when you release it you are wasting it and breaking the law.

You can't keep fishing when you have your limit, if the limit is zero, you can't fish em at all. :wallbash:

Edited by Dara

What if you kill one?

You can't keep fishing when you have your limit, if the limit is zero, you can't fish em at all. :wallbash:

Hmmm....that's kinda what I thought?

What if you kill one?

some areas have a catch and release season..that is 0 limit and you can fish for them.

muskie on a con license, 0 limit and yes you can fish for them

What if you kill one?

HOLY crap, people I realise that...maybe I should have said if all of fishing had catch and release only zones...I WOULD STILL FISH AS MUCH AS I DO NOW. Lighten up everyone...

What if you kill one?

So what do people with conservation licenses do when it states in the reg their limit is zero?

Stand there and look at the river, willing the fish to the bank?