Survivorman fan found dead in Muskoka

bigfish1965

This is a terrible story...for anyone to call this guy an idiot is just inconsiderate to his family...I think he went out with a plan and his plan failed and for that he paid the ultimate price...You shouldn't judge people by your standards for they don't apply to everyone

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, to everyone else be safe, be smart

Considering many of the posts you've made here the only thing that comes to mind, childish as it may seem is, "takes one to know one." :whistling:

You know that jury duty you were whining about? You won't need any underhanded tactics to get rejected.

Just be yourself, you'll be fine.

You've got a lot to learn kid.

I've spent months alone in the wilderness.

Yes there's risk involved but in my eyes I take more of a risk every time I drive on the QEW.

Properly prepared with the correct mind set and skills and it's very safe.

I won't hold my breath waiting to see it. :rolleyes:

My condolences to his family, a terrible loss.

Are there not enough people waxing poetically about a person that they don't even know, that you guys have to flame someone for having a different opinion?

Where are the moderators? oops, never mind. :whistling:

Jim

Are there not enough people waxing poetically about a person that they don't even know, that you guys have to flame someone for having a different opinion?

Where are the moderators? oops, never mind. :whistling:

Jim

X2....Know your wilderness capabilities and respect mother nature.

As far as I'm concerned this guy had it coming...

Edited by archie_james_c

I agree

if you want a news report post it and close the thread

if you want a discussion , post it in an open forum....

I am sure everyone feels sad for the family

but what do you call a person who goes off, what seems to be unprepared, because he saw it on a tv show and gets himself dead

so lets come up with a word that is socially exceptionable to call him

I agree

if you want a news report post it and close the thread

if you want a discussion , post it in an open forum....

I am sure everyone feels sad for the family

but what do you call a person who goes off, what seems to be unprepared, because he saw it on a tv show and gets himself dead

so lets come up with a word that is socially exceptionable to call him

Strange how everyone bashed Worm Dangler in the first page but now that there are a couple ppl who feel the same about it no one is speaking up against it????

In this country you have the freedom to do what you want as long as long as you do not put anyone else at risk. That is something we have to be very thankful for. However we do not have the right to belittle anyone. He didn't purposely hurt anyone. He died doing what he loved to do. I'm sure if anyone thinks hard enough, they can come up with something in their life that they should not have done. If you can,then you were one who survived the error of your ways. Learn from what happened here and pray that his extended family may experience comfort from our heavenly father. Remember that hindsight is always 20/20.

Is Idiot the right term to throw at a guy who just died...for all you guys know he may have family on the board...a little respect never hurt anyone..

It also states that he has read plenty of books and has done this kind of thing before...I just think because it may be out of your comfort zone to try this kind of thing doesn't make it ridiculous for other people...As much as we all love to believe were the great outdoorsman some people out there really are smarter then you...

You never hear anybody bash the guy who goes through the ice in his 4x4 truck and dies?? Isn't that really just as dangerous??

C'mon bash the dead, really???

Is Idiot the right term to throw at a guy who just died...for all you guys know he may have family on the board...a little respect never hurt anyone..

I just think because it may be out of your comfort zone to try this kind of thing doesn't make it ridiculous for other people...

C'mon bash the dead, really???

I don't think that it is rediculous that he did that. I know lots of people who are experienced enough that they can safely go into the bush alone for extended periods of time...I'm not "bashing" him because of that.

What I think is rediculous is the fact that he should have known his limitations and planned his trips around them accordingly. But he thought the bush was something he could play with like a toy, and now he has ruined his families life because of it....

Shame on him for being so selfish.

You would never see me slagging someone who just died tragically, personally I would have a little more decorum.

Strange how everyone bashed Worm Dangler in the first page but now that there are a couple ppl who feel the same about it no one is speaking up against it????

I'd be happy to oblige.

You're buddy seems a little young and more than a little immature.

Any comments directed at him had absolutely nothing to do with the tragic incident and everything to do with his own misguided comments and opinions.

Edited by solopaddler

You said it Mike.

If I were to wait around for a "buddy" to come along every time I wanted to go sledding, hunting or fishing I would only get out once or twice a year.

Being prepared & having common sense are most important. Most of my trips are solo trips and if you use your head and have some basic suppies and survival skills you should come out ok. Crap does happen though and you should be aware of this. Always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back (like this unfortunate fellow did) so that if there is an issue help may come in time.

I have a 10 day winter camping and snowmobile trip planned for later this month and have all my plans laid out and even including talking with the CO's about ice conditions and trouble spots to avoid. This kind of pre-planning can be the difference between a trip of a lifetime and driving your snowmobile into 1000' of water because of a high current area. I was surprised to find out about 3 dangerous ice areas on the route. It amazes me that in one spot ther is 4 to 5 feet of ice and a couple of hundred yards away it's open water. And this is a lake, not a river.

Are there risks? Yep, but being informed and prepared minimizes the risks.

Hope you take lots of pics and give us a report... that sounds like a trip of a lifetime to guy like me in Southwestern Ontario B)

You would never see me slagging someone who just died tragically, personally I would have a little more decorum.

I'd be happy to oblige.

You're buddy seems a little young and more than a little immature.

Any comments directed at him had absolutely nothing to do with the tragic incident and everything to do with his own misguided comments and opinions.

Agreed that he did come off a little crude in how he said it...

I read this as well.

Its a sad story regardless of how you slice it.

I can't say I'd call him an idiot though...thats pretty harsh.

To suggest he had it comming is also pretty harsh IMO.

He was apparently under prepared, overly enthusiastic, and grossly misjudged the challenge ahead.

We don't know this gentlmans situation, but it sounds like he didn't have a heck of a lot going for him.

I'd almost fathem a guess that perhaps he was a bit slow or impeded?

Who knows...

He made some heavy mistakes and paid the ultimate price, but to call him an idiot is a bit insensitive dude...

Heck IMO riding a motorcycle on the 401 is WAY, WAY more dangerous then a solo trip in the woods with or with a helmut and training.

But I wouldn't call a biker and idiot either LOL....

Edited by Cookslav

i dont disagree with anything anyone has said on this thread but it is a shame i have to sort thru so many lectures to get to actual comments and worthwhile additions to the original thread.

we had a local guy go missing on a fishing trip last year. just a big mystery, all searches turned up nothing. it was months i beleive until he was found, deceased im afraid, these incidents are usually classed death by misadventure. sometimes you bite off more than you can chew, and like some people have said, sometimes you just get bit.

Wow! I wonder if this is the same guy I gave a ride to in the summer. I picked up a hitch hiker in Barrie and he said he was a survival guy. He didn't seem to have much in the way of provisions and it was really raining hard. I was on my way fishing so he showed me his fishig lures. Some really big plastic worms and big hooks and some line. I stopped the car and hooked him up with the rest of my gulp fish fry and some good quality smaller octopus hooks and some drop shot weights. I taught him how to rig a drop shot and told him what to do. He was very thankful. I wasn't going as far as Orillia but it was raining so hard I decided to drive him to there anyway. We got to talking and he said he was a singer songwriter and just did odd jobs to help people out. He said he did more christian or gospel type music. He too was travelling up to Huntsville area and said he had done a few trips like this before. I really didn't think he was prepared for the weather even in the summer when I picked him up. He didn't even have waterproof boots.

Wonder if this is the same guy? He had glasses on this summer.

Looks like that was him, Cudz.

Check out this article, there is a picture of him: http://news.sympatico.ca/Canada/ContentPos...&date=False

Also, it also says, "A member of the Airport Christian Fellowship church, Code played guitar as a hobby and tried writing music himself."

Just as you described...

Edited by ADB

Hey, you gotta remember now. these southern ontario folks are perfect! they nor their childen do no wrong!.....

What is that suppose to mean?? Now common courtesy or respect is a north/south thing...Always like to believe its a human thing!!

What is that suppose to mean?? Now common courtesy or respect is a north/south thing...Always like to believe its a human thing!!

what is that supposed to mean? i lived down there for about 12 years.... went to school down there. pretty well raised down there. i never liked any of the other kids nor their parents. they were stuck up (child and parent) and usually when there was a conflict they thought they were "perfect". and yes to answer your questions i DID grow up with the younger generation, so i have seen and been put in situations with "perfect" children and parents. if half the people on here werent so obsessed with that fact, they too would be saying what this guy did was idiotic. not trying to be ignorant by any means. just defending mine and some one else's opinion.

now im not saying ALL southern ontario folks are like this BUT a vast majority are!

And yes, "common courtesy or respect" is a north/south thing.

JP

solopaddler-i'm to the point on things and very forward. im sure others were thinking the exact same thing "idiot" just didnt want to say it. i'm sorry if i didnt "butter up" my post, that doesn't make me immature and you continuing on this and flaming me is immature.

I've been on here long enough to notice that if someone thinks a little different then they get singled out and thats just wrong.

just because solopaddler or drifter can manage in the bush for long periods of time doesnt mean the next guy is capable of doing it. People need to know their limits, it says he tried to do this around xmas time and basically failed, theres your sign.

I think people need to lighten up a bit and just go have some fun once in a while.

on a bit of a side note, why do yous prefer to go alone? i personally enjoy company of others and i always have multiple people wanting to go with this immature child.

on a bit of a side note, why do yous prefer to go alone? i personally enjoy company of others and i always have multiple people wanting to go with this immature child.

LOL, ya! im still waiting to see if this guy lives up to what he says or if he's just "Bull'ing" me haha.

chat censor.... Bull isnt THAT bad. lol

Edited by bigredneck

what is that supposed to mean? i lived down there for about 12 years.... went to school down there. pretty well raised down there. i never liked any of the other kids nor their parents. they were stuck up (child and parent) and usually when there was a conflict they thought they were "perfect". and yes to answer your questions i DID grow up with the younger generation, so i have seen and been put in situations with "perfect" children and parents. if half the people on here werent so obsessed with that fact, they too would be saying what this guy did was idiotic. not trying to be ignorant by any means. just defending mine and some one else's opinion.

now im not saying ALL southern ontario folks are like this BUT a vast majority are!

And yes, "common courtesy or respect" is a north/south thing.

JP

Thats maybe the craziest thing I have ever heard...the vast majority of southern ontario people are stuck up southern snobs with perfect children???? I've lived here 35 years now and I'm gonna have to disagree...Just the fact you try to generalize people by global positioning tells me that responding to this is a waste of time...lol...really, I'm curious where is the border, how far enough north do I have to go before I'm considered respectable, clearly you chaps haven't made it there yet

When has disrespecting the dead ever been cool???

Thats maybe the craziest thing I have ever heard...the vast majority of southern ontario people are stuck up southern snobs with perfect children???? I've lived here 35 years now and I'm gonna have to disagree...Just the fact you try to generalize people by global positioning tells me that responding to this is a waste of time...lol...really, I'm curious where is the border, how far enough north do I have to go before I'm considered respectable, clearly you chaps haven't made it there yet

When has disrespecting the dead ever been cool???

this is getting outta hand. again you are yet another "perfect" being. im not generalizing ALL southern ontario folks, like i said. a vast majority. if you knew your vocabulary you would know what i mean.

enough said. :)

Edited by bigredneck