fly fishing

timmeh

fellas,

2 months from now and my fly fishing career will be underway. But there's a small problem. Being a complete newb I need a little help picking up a basic fly selection. So what are some of the standard flies that no box should be without. I have a few wolly buggers right now but that's about it. I plan on fishing both trout and bass this season so I'm sure I'll need a wide range to cover this. Also most of my trouting will occur on the Grand so if anyone would be willing to pass along some info about starter flies for that area it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

I just got into fly fishing last year. I got a bunch of flies from Reel Flies. They have a bunch of kits you can choose from. The flies they make are really good quality considering how cheap they are. I got a bunch last year at the sportsman show and caught a quite a few fish on them. Good Luck!

The wooly bugger is a great fly. One that worked very well for me when I fly fished was the Royal Coachman streamer fly. I caught so many brook trout on that one fly, way more than all others combined. It's a wet fly, not a dry fly. I really don't remember the patterns and names of the fly's I used way back when other than the Wolly Bugger and the Royal Coachman, but I have kinda of aa recollection of using a Mickey Finn. Cannot remember if it is a dry or wet fly though.

Streamers: woolly bugger, Mickey Finn, Clouser, bucktails.

Nymphs: hare's ear, pheasant tail, stone fly, caddis.

In a couple different sizes and colour variations should work fine.

Buy more than one fly of a type, there is nothing worse than loosing a fly (which happens lots) that is slaying them and it was your last one.

The fly shops in the area you are fishing are a great resource, stop in, find out what is working and buy a dozen or so flies.

Dan

I am also starting my fly fishing career this year took lessons 2 years ago but never got out last year more than a couple times but have promised myself to get out there this year and do it. So to keep me motivated i Subscribed to Canadian Flyfisher magazine.

I was having the same issue, don't have much in the way of flies.

I will also be fishing the grand river and area. I was thinking of joining the KW fly fishing club. Any members also on OFC?

Anyways when I was at the fishing show I picked up a pamphelt from Grandriver Troutfitters and it have a list of patterns and sizes by month for brown trout and smallmouth fishing on the river.

I'll dig it out and post it here for everyone.

Definitely pick up one or two of the kits from Reelflies.ca I did the same thing last year and it helped out tremendously..

However, what helped the most was actually getting out with an experienced fly fisherman. My buddy Dave showed me the ropes and I was extremely grateful, learned a whole bunch and even caught some fish :) I cannot wait until the opener... Screw steelhead and the crowds, I'm going to be stream crashing in the dark... Can't wait!

I used to fish the upper grand a ton. It is primarily a nymphing river. 9' 4 wt rod is the ticket. Use indicators and dead drift nymphs. Fish 5X tippet or lighter if u can. Make sure you have enough weight to get a dead drift down near the bottom. Sometimes 4 bb sized weights are needed in deeper, faster runs - more weight is always better than too little. You can get by with 5 fly types in the fergus area. Fish the power line area/willow tree hole or cedar run to start. stop and ask at troutfitters for directions. The flies that I did REALLY well on:

• #16 -#20 pheasant tails

• #18 isopods (on curved tiemco 2487 hook) - PM me and i will send u easy and deadly recipe

• #18 and #16 caddis pupa in very pale green with brown head (2487 hook)

• #18 caddis emerger (June)- same as above but on straight hook and with small emerging wings laying along body on the sides

• san juan worms in pink or natural colours - sometimes the bigger patterns just plain work.

You can get fancier, with many other patterns, spinners, dries, emergers... but the majority of fish are caught nymphing. Pick up some rocks in fergus area and look - you'll see why I fished these patterns and sizes often.

Landry

Here's some info from that pamphlet.

Blue winged olive #18 - all season

Henderickson #16-14 - mid to late May

Foxes #14-10 - Early to mid June

Brown Drake #10-8 - early June

Cahills #16-18 - Late June through July

Tan caddis #14 - Early JUne through JUly

Cranefly #18- June and July

Grey/olive Caddis #14 - Mid JUne to Mid August

Black caddis #18 - Mid June to Mid July

Small Mahogony #20 - Late June and Early July

Isonychia #12 - June and September

Trico #22-24 - July & August

Flying Ants #16-20 - August or September

Caenis #26 - Aug & Sep

Micro Caddis #20 - Aug & Sep

Midges #22-26 - April & July-Sep

Hexagenia #6 - Early Sep

However, what helped the most was actually getting out with an experienced fly fisherman.

Great advice. a couple of years back I mentioned on here that I wanted to get started at it and young Bill Parker (he who disappeared into the Pacific wilds) offered to take me out. I caught nothing but it was a great learning experience seeing how to set up, what to look for, and how not to get washed away when crossing streams far too swollen for an old fogey to be wading. The best part of the learning experience was seeing it happen in context. Simplified a whole lot of it and clarified things I'd only read about on the 'net and in books. At one point I thought Bill had kneeled to puke in the river but discovered he was only turning up rocks to check the hatch.

Unfortunately the weather conspired last year to make neophyte solo flyfishing unappealing to me but I'm determined to get out this year and chase down some smallmouths with those flies Singingdog so generously gifted me with a while back. Got my fingers crossed for less wind and more bass in the creek.

JF

Definitely pick up one or two of the kits from Reelflies.ca I did the same thing last year and it helped out tremendously..

Hey Bill,

I visited reelflies.ca and was looking to buy a couple of the kits like 40 trout flies and 45 dry flies. I didn't order because it does not specify the fly sizes, did you call the company or order and see what you got when it came in? I'm a little hesitant I guess because what if its wacky sizes for some reason.

Get a bunch of differnt natrural colour'd wooly buggers,bombers,poppers(bass),hex,mayflies,streamers,wooly worms,clouser minnows

You dont have to buy a super expensive flybox,my most expensive flybox at the most $30,

Remember have fun!( also if your going for bass,pike or huge brookies get some nice,big juicy mouse flys!They cant resist them on a calm day!)

Edited by troutboy

I visited reelflies.ca and was looking to buy a couple of the kits like 40 trout flies and 45 dry flies. I didn't order because it does not specify the fly sizes, did you call the company or order and see what you got when it came in? I'm a little hesitant I guess because what if its wacky sizes for some reason.

Torco, Are you planning on attending the Sportsmans show next week?

If so, hold off on your purchase and talk to the owner at his booth. I did at the boat show and he gave me some great advice and picked out a custom selection for me at a decent price. His kits are general as they have to appeal to everyone, but he talks to folks from all over (and fly fishs himself) and knows whats catching fish and can hook you up accordingly. I'll likely be paying him another visit.

Edited by Great Lake Steel

The sizes are assorted but definitely suited to the waters you'll be fishing in southern Ontario :) I have a dry fly and wet fly/nymphing kit from them and they've caught me fish.

Sweet, Thanks

Torco, Are you planning on attending the Sportsmans show next week?

If so, hold off on your purchase and talk to the owner at his booth. I did at the boat show and he gave me some great advice and picked out a custom selection for me at a decent price. His kits are general as they have to appeal to everyone, but he talks to folks from all over (and fly fishs himself) and knows whats catching fish and can hook you up accordingly. I'll likely be paying him another visit.

Oh thanks for the advice. I maybe attending but not sure my wife is due on the 17th. So it will all depend when this baby decides to arrive :)

I have had quite a few requests for my isopod recipe - so here it is if anyone is interested.

• take a #18 tiemco 2487 hook and wrap a base of tan 8/0 thread on it

• take a margarine lid and cut out a thin oval shaped piece to fit hook (for flat isopod body)

• wrap plastic oval on top of hook shank while holding in place - wrap until it is covered and secure. You should now have an isopod shaped profile.

• tie in tan scud back material at rear

• sparsely dub almost white leggy dubbing material and wrap back to rear

• pull scud back forward on top of hook while wrapping thread, with spaces, to represent segmenting

• whip finish

• use a fine sharpie to put a subtle line on the back

turn some rocks over in the grand - these isopods (and caddis) are the predominant food item in the fergus stretch. The almost white dubbing darkens to match real scud legs nicely and the profile and size are VERY close to the real thing. Most commercially tied isopods are larger and not a close match to the grand specimens. I have tested these extensively and they work great.

Landry

Oh thanks for the advice. I maybe attending but not sure my wife is due on the 17th. So it will all depend when this baby decides to arrive :)

No worries, congrats on the upcoming new fishing buddy! If it's her first baby it could take a while, plenty of time for you to sneak down to the show for an hour or two... lol. I think wrestling a grizzly would be safer.

No worries, congrats on the upcoming new fishing buddy! If it's her first baby it could take a while, plenty of time for you to sneak down to the show for an hour or two... lol. I think wrestling a grizzly would be safer.

Hahaha, thanks its our first.