identify this lake trout by his tail

pike slayer

My buddy sent me the pics of this lake trout he caught when we went out 2weeks ago. this tail is screwed up! it doesnt look like its been bitten or tore off. theres the traditional white at the tip of the tail. he was caught in about 8feet of water. impressive that he could swim and survive. he was a stubby 18" haha!!

screweduplaker3.jpg

screweduplaker2.jpg

screweduplaker1.jpg

Guest gbfisher
Is there a slot... looks like someone let one slip back in after trimming with the Rapala sissors...

Nobody woud do that........... :huh:

I've been catching allot of those deformed lakers directly downstream of the St. Mary's Paper outflow within the past few months.

But my guess for this one is either its a birth defect, or something may have bit its tail off when it was younger and it was regrowing.

I agree that it seems like there is some Brook Trout genes in that fish. It has more orange on it than the other fish. Is there any Brook Trout in the area? Brook/Lake Trout cross happen occasionally in nature. It doesn't have to be a stocked fish for it to be a Brook/Laker cross.

there is specks in the lake but very rare. i only know of one speck being caught in the lake by my uncle 2weeks ago, first speck he seen in there and hes beening fishing it for 20+ years and well first one ive even heard of. if its a cross then its definitely a rare fish for this lake.

what are you using for the stubby reference?....neva mind....i dont really want to know ... :D

To quote the Simpsons..

Lisa: "So do you think I can play?"

Jazz Guy: "Oh lord NO!!"

Lisa: "Why??"

Jazz Guy: You've enherited a form of stubbiness. It's usually past down from the father's side."

Homer, whilst trying desperately to clutch a beer: "Stupid fingers!!!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

its a laker with a deformed tail. Solopladdler hit the nail on the head though, the square tail is the most interesting thing. Other people are also right in saying that captivity wears down tails, epecially if they are kept in concrete tanks/raceways. Glass, fiberglass, plastic or net enclosures also wear fins but not that severe. Teh worst cases are always in older fish, which this guy isn't. I have seen some wierd deformities in caught in sampling nets before, stumpy rainbows, zigzag tail perch, potbelly walleye, mouth deformed muskie. With the snow and ice on the fish my best guess its just a laker with a birth defect.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn