Waterproof Cameras.

scugpg

Hey gang

My daughter is turning 19 next week and is going to Hawaii with her mom and guess what she wanted..yep a waterproof camera! I went to Future Shop today and they had a cheaper Olympus on display. The sales guy said they just got 3 new models in yesterday to go on sale Friday (when he checked they only had 2 left) but was able to sell one today.. It is the Olympus tough 6020 with HD movie capability etc etc. It was 349.00 so I picked it up as I didnt want to try to 3-4 different places and up back there...not sure if it will be any good but she is leaving on Saturday morning..

here's a link..any thoughts ? Oh yeah, it takes a regular SD card which helps too...

thanks guys

Rich

http://mandurahcamerahouse.com.au/olympus-...020-p-2254.html

The D10 is pretty much the cream of the crop as far as waterproof cameras go.. I've taken advantage of Futureshops return policy on a few occasions when I've found a better deal or something I liked better.

There are only 2 things that are stopping me from buying the D10:

1. Not compact

2. Only does VGA video

Other than that its the best one out there.

I'm probably going to wait a month as the new models are slowly coming out. The 6020 looks decent though by the specs!

Hey Gang,

Just thought I would let you know that we will be giving away two of the brand new Fuji waterproof XP 10's at my seminar this weekend at Bass Pro Shops Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. So if you need one it might be a good chance to get one for FREE. We have that and a ton of other crazy things going on so please swing by and see me this weekend.

Dave

P.S if you are coming swing by early as J.P's seminar is at 1 pm right before mine.

okay so I venture into town and promptly return my $500 purchase to Future Shop (included extended warranty, new sd card etc etc) and at least feel better for the time being..Its amazing what a good nights sleep can do to impulse buying..

I wander into Shoppers and they just happen to have the Fuji WP Z33 on sale that they just got in..(I know its not the brand new one but...) $149 instead of $199..sold! I think it will be more than adequate for what she needs..looks pretty cool too if you like green,,which she does!!

thanks guys

Rich

maybe see some of you at the show on saturday!

FYI gang. Shoppers drugmart is selling the Fugi z33 wp for $150. I assume they are getting ready for the new version Dave mentioned. Looks like neon lime is the only colour if that matters to you.

okay so I venture into town and promptly return my $500 purchase to Future Shop (included extended warranty, new sd card etc etc) and at least feel better for the time being..Its amazing what a good nights sleep can do to impulse buying..

I wander into Shoppers and they just happen to have the Fuji WP Z33 on sale that they just got in..(I know its not the brand new one but...) $149 instead of $199..sold! I think it will be more than adequate for what she needs..looks pretty cool too if you like green,,which she does!!

thanks guys

Rich

maybe see some of you at the show on saturday!

:clapping:

• 3 weeks later...

The Panasonic TS2 is now on the shelves and looks very impressive.

Sony TX5 comes out in a couple weeks and looks to be the top camera so far; with the TS2 very close. $350-$399 range

XP10 should be out soon as well $199 and Olympus has a $99 camera out now that is waterproof.

Gonna keep waiting till they all come out to have a hands on look at em'

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.

It is awesome. 10MP, Waterproof to 10ft and Drop proof to 5ft.

It does excellent underwater shots and can take a beating and keeps on going :)

I beg to differ. I have one and I also have a sony 12.1 mega pix camera. The olympus is good for underwater shots but the sony is much better for every other shot. I also had a 7.2 maga pix sony that got wet and fried that was superior in almost everyway to the olumpus.

Problems with my olympus include a very slow shutter speed which cause lots of blurry pics. Poor and very grainy pics when taken indoors. The stabilizer is inferior to that of the sony cameras.

That is just my opinion.

To tell you the truth I have a 9 year old cannon axis camera that is 2.1 mega pixels. It cost me around $1000 9 years ago. I still have that camera and it takes better indoor pics than my olympus. The pics are never blurry either. No kidding.

Kodak has a new waterproof pocket HD video camera out. It takes great underwater video with sound. It also takes still shots, but not sure how the still shots will be compared to cameras designed more for stills. I'll report on it later in the year.

I have an Olympus Stylus-550WP that I got for about $160 last year. The quality is decent for both video and stills. Took it to snorkeling in Hawaii and Thailand, and have dunked it in local lake water. Works great and cheap for recreational use. Only prob with Olympus is they take exclusive types of memory cards, which you need to buy separately.

Had a chance to look at some new models today and I must say the Sony TX5 looks like the winner at this point.

Panasonic TS2 is nice as well, but when you see how slim the TX5 is and its great features (including touch screen LCD, 10fps burst, panoramic mode) it seems a no-brainer. Both are in the $350 range. These are the cameras to consider if you want a great camera that happens to be 4-proof. I'd say the Olympus 6020 would be 3rd if I had to choose. Note the Sony is only waterproof to 10ft though.

Saw the XP10 as well, it looks alright but it seemed pretty slow and bulky compared to the others. There is an Olympus at Futureshop around the $99 range also. These are the cameras you want to consider that will take a beating at the beach/fishing but you have another camera to take the quality photos.

Open to more thoughts on real-life experiences on these cameras.

Edited by scugog

How many times have I mentioned the Canon D10? I'll mention it again though :)

Its a good camera I should've mentioned it, but it doesn't do HD video and its not as portable like the rest.

Takes great photos though from what I read.

How many times have I mentioned the Canon D10? I'll mention it again though :)

Yep, they are great cameras for sure Bill, but drop it in the water and it instantly becomes a paper weight. That is unless you spend $200 on a waterproof housing for it.

I have just replaced my 7 year old Olympus Stylus 300, with a Stylus SW 1050.

While it isn't as crisp as the Canon it is waterproof, shockproof and it takes pretty decent pictures and the cost was very reasonable. The video and stills in this video were shot with it a week or so ago.

Olympus Stylus SW 1050 Video