New Rod And Reel

ciscokid

So i just wanted to see wat u guys think about my recent purchases, i've been fishing for awhile now with the cheapest equipment money can buy so i thought i d treat myself to a little something for this openwater season that is soon to be. So i bought a st croix premiere 7ft medium action spin rod and a shimano symetre 3000 reel. This is my first significant investment in a rod and reel so just wondering if ppl more experineced then myself think this was a wise choice. I mostly fish for bass pike and trout so i will be using it for these species as well as occasionally walleye and crappie fishing.

Well that is a worthy investment, its definitely quality and will last you for years to come. I think you made a good choice in terms of an all around set-up. You may find it a little heavy for some stuff and a little light for others, but like i mentioned it will be a good general purpose set-up, so you have to expect some compromise at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Enjoy!

Nothing wrong with that combo. The line you choose and use will be almost as important.

If you have 2 spools for the reel you're golden. I would load one with a "super line" maybe 20lb test and the other with mono, maybe 8 or 10lb test. Line, as with rod and reels, can be a very personal thing so I'm sure you'll get many opinions.

Good luck.

As the others said, that's a good all around outfit.

You might want to think about adding a M or MH baitcaster next.

The level-wind reel will handle heavier line better, when you head out for those Pike.

It will also be nicer for any bass-baits that are heavier than 3/8 of an ounce.

If you ever go fish up toward Stoney Lake in the Kawarthas PM me and I will let you try baitcasting with one of my outfits.

Garry2R's

Nothing wrong with that combo. The line you choose and use will be almost as important.

If you have 2 spools for the reel you're golden. I would load one with a "super line" maybe 20lb test and the other with mono, maybe 8 or 10lb test. Line, as with rod and reels, can be a very personal thing so I'm sure you'll get many opinions.

Good luck.

Yea thats what i was thinking, didnt come with a spare spool tho but i might order one i think theyre pretty cheap. I was also considering trying out flouro for spring trout? i ve only ever used it as a leader but i hear its very abrasion resistant and more importantly its heavy so it helps get your lure down there quick without much weight. Not sure just thinking out loud here.

The level-wind reel will handle heavier line better, when you head out for those Pike.

If you ever go fish up toward Stoney Lake in the Kawarthas PM me and I will let you try baitcasting with one of my outfits.

Garry2R's

Will do, I've never fished with a bait caster yet but i was gonna get one for a musky outfit if i move up to nipissing, but yea i ve always wanted one for bass and pike too, i ve heard good things.

should've bought a quantum... :P;) lol

good combo. great all around set up. will do many things for u! little light for some techniques. as mentioned, next thing should be a med/hvy baitcasting combo that will cover the rest of ur fishing. and handle the pike much better then a spinning rod.

keep ur eyes open in the classifieds, always see stuff in there! save urself a few bucks and get a really good combo for less then retail. i will have a bunch of rods goin up soon, spinning and casting, as well as a few reels. get ahold of me if ur interested and ill see if i can help ya out!

as someone said, the line u pick will be critical. i would put 15-20lb braid on that outfit. i use spiderwire stealth and love it. some guys like power pro, or stren, suffix, fireline. any will work, pick what U like best. they all have their own qualities. i use spiderwire because im confident in its performance, i used power pro, broke it off a couple times, hate the stuff. other guys swear by it.

but 15-20lb will be ideal. i would suggest 15lb as it'll get ya a bit more on the spool and its still very strong, and will allow farther casts. then use a flouro carbon leader of 6-12lb test depending on the species ur after and the technique ur using. if u can get a spare spool, i would go with straight flourocarbon in 8 or 10lb.

good luck, hope this and the rest of the info u've gotten helps u out! and if ur ever in the hamilton area, PM me and we'll hook up for some fishes! i'll let ya use the casting gear and see how ya like it.

Ive had my Symetre for 6 years now and it still looks new. Well, because I never used it. Why?

1. Too Nice

2. My most expensive reel

3. I love it too much

4. Most important though is that my Daiwa, Mitchells, Abu Garcia, just wont break or wear out.

Like my Fenwick rod which Ive had for three years and looks new, Why

1. Too Nice

2. My most expensive reel

3. I love it too much

4. Most important though is that my Cherrywood, Lightning, Ugly Stick , just wont break or wear out.

Garry2R's

Under no circumstances do you want to turn this offer down! Garry can take you from greenhorn to competent in a morning. As an added bonus, he's OK company too.

Great choice for power, action and size as others have mentioned. If you are looking to fish trout, careful with the fluorocarbon main line unless you are exclusively bottom bouncing.

If you also float fish the rivers, go with mono, the floating properties of the mono will get you better hook sets and more direct pressure to the float without having to cut through the water since the fluoro will always sink between you and your float.

Congrats on your purchase.