Post Closed - Any Carp Fishers ???

superdad

I flyfish them every spring. It is awesome. If I could only flyfish for one freshwater fish for the rest of my life it would be carp. They are spooky, smart and strong!!! It takes way more skill than catching a steelie or trout on a fly! You can sight-fish them and cast blind in some places. I like to stalk them and strip wooly bugger style flies past them:)

Landry

I flyfish them every spring. It is awesome. If I could only flyfish for one freshwater fish for the rest of my life it would be carp. They are spooky, smart and strong!!! It takes way more skill than catching a steelie or trout on a fly! You can sight-fish them and cast blind in some places. I like to stalk them and strip wooly bugger style flies past them:)

Landry

Sounds fun Landry! Totally different style than how I fish them...I used to know a guy who fly-fished carp in Port Credit when I lived there... You'd never land one on a fly rod where I fish for them though. It's a reservoir and the area is a sunken tree graveyard. Usually I'm bottom fishing for them but I have had some hit my bait on the drop - usually the smaller ones. As soon as you hook them, they head strait for the tree's and I pretty much have to lock my drag and muscle them out. I can't wait for the sofwater season!

Cheers,

Ryan

Carp are one of my passions in life. As a kid they were the biggest fish I could catch in the waters around my home – They still are. I really love fishing big, wild and scenic rivers for carp from late spring through to fall…I used to do the winter thing for carp but many of the warm water discharge areas that didn’t freeze up either became off-limits or demolished (as in Lakeview). They’re mad fun to catch on all types of tackle and the scenery where they live is often breath taking.

I am planning on going this summer, never fished em before but I am gonna try. I wouldn't mind hooking into a monster carp. My plan is to try the St. Lawrence River, not sure where yet or when.. still in early planning stages

If you love big, wild, raging rivers with long, lean, muscular, insanely hard fighting carp (the hardest fighting carp I know of), the St. Lawrence is THE place to go. I absolutely love fishing the St. Lawrence and have fished both the Canadian side and American side for carp - For my dad and I, it's like an annual pilgrimage. The river offers a variety of different areas to fish: from shallow flats that stack up with hundreds (if not thousands) of carp in the spring to deep shipping channels which can be 45-60ft deep with a mean current blowing through. If carp are your passion, the St. Lawrence is a must-fish place before you die.

Some St. Lawrence views

Canadian side

DSC_2075.jpg

P1010343a.jpg

P1010363a-1.jpg

American side

DSC_8840.jpg

28+lbs of muscle

DSC_8897.jpg

Rare jiggly mirror

DSC_8900.jpg

If I can offer you a few tips for fishing the St. Lawrence

- It's advisable to do some form of strength training...You'll definitely need it in many cases (Seriously)

- Depending what time of year you go and how long your trip is...You'll need lots of bait...I do mean lots :D

I occasionally fish for them. I'm less than 200 metres from the Otonabee so occasionally I'll target them, not too seriously though, no pods or feeders or slingshots. Bag o frozen corn ; big egg sinker and an Owner Circle hook; can't even be bothered tying a hair rig. I'm looking forward to trying earlier this year thanks to the changes in the regs.

Carp are one of my passions in life. As a kid they were the biggest fish I could catch in the waters around my home – They still are. I really love fishing big, wild and scenic rivers for carp from late spring through to fall…I used to do the winter thing for carp but many of the warm water discharge areas that didn't freeze up either became off-limits or demolished (as in Lakeview). They're mad fun to catch on all types of tackle and the scenery where they live is often breath taking.

If you love big, wild, raging rivers with long, lean, muscular, insanely hard fighting carp (the hardest fighting carp I know of), the St. Lawrence is THE place to go. I absolutely love fishing the St. Lawrence and have fished both the Canadian side and American side for carp - For my dad and I, it's like an annual pilgrimage. The river offers a variety of different areas to fish: from shallow flats that stack up with hundreds (if not thousands) of carp in the spring to deep shipping channels which can be 45-60ft deep with a mean current blowing through. If carp are your passion, the St. Lawrence is a must-fish place before you die.

Some St. Lawrence views

Canadian side

DSC_2075.jpg

P1010343a.jpg

P1010363a-1.jpg

American side

DSC_8840.jpg

28+lbs of muscle

DSC_8897.jpg

Rare jiggly mirror

DSC_8900.jpg

If I can offer you a few tips for fishing the St. Lawrence

- It's advisable to do some form of strength training...You'll definitely need it in many cases (Seriously)

- Depending what time of year you go and how long your trip is...You'll need lots of bait...I do mean lots :D

That last fish is so nasty MJL. But Your right it needs some major striength trainging. :unsure:

DSN