Fishing Rod Sparks Vancouver Scare

tjsa

I wonder if the government will now require us to register our fishing rods?

How about a national data bank of fishermens DNA?

And ban fishing rods from airlines?

Maybe they will fine us for talking on a cell phone while fishing?

Just think of the posibilities!!! :sleeping_02::sleeping_02::sleeping_02:

Naw, couldn't happen! <_<

Gil

No offense, but has anyone seen a pipe bomb before? A homemade and some store bought fishing rod holders kinda look like a giant version of one. So, I don't think it was over reacting considering the Olympics and where it was found.

Reminds me of the time I went to a somewhat shi shi golf resort a couple of years ago. I was there spending time with the wife, but also to do a bit of fishing. Keep in mind, people here do not fish. They golf and talk about real estate. Anyway, I had my rods in a rod holder and was carrying them from my room to the dock. Some people thought I was carrying a gun since my rod holder somewhat resembles a gun case. I was wondering what all the funny looks were for.

i can kind of understand their point of view...buddy did just leave the package behind and the shape is a bit suspicous...on that note must not be too great a rod or too diehard an angler, cause neither I nor any of my buddies would just forget a rod on a ferry...

but yep, van to pemberton is pretty much on lock down right now.....road and air space closures, crazy security and massively increased prices on everything....example: heli pad land fee went from 30 to 500

we were sledding whistler back country and apparently in unmarked "restricted areas".....got stopped by about a dozen or so military personnel with machine guns pointed at us, air support to boot.....spent the next hour on our knees and cuffed while they interrogated us and searched EVERYTHING...ie removing seats and engine cover, backpack CUT open when they couldn't figure out how to operate the zipper.....

got talking a bit after we had it sorted out....some of them had been stationed in the woods for as long as 12 days....oh, and in the end they confiscated a pair of scissors!!! and told us to leave the area immediately and to not return for the duration of the games...

If someone takes the time to ship their fishing rods in a protective tube, you would think that they would have the sense not to leave them behind at a Ferry terminal. When I was traveling with a couple of my rods this summer, my first priority was about the half a thousand dollars sitting in a 7' plastic tube. That kind of stuff doesn't just slip your mind and isn't "just a case of bad memory", its called being a dumbass.

Issuing a bomb threat was well justified. Security didn't expect someone to be that stupid.

Still you can never be to carefull. If you research the Pipe Bomb you will understand why. Think of it this way. You have 2 kids and a wife at home. You are a police officer and you see this just days before the olympics. What would you do risk being a macho here and leave you family behind or play it safe?