Legend Utility Boat's

MCTFisher9120

Has anybody bought one of these boats from their series. 14 Widebody, 16 Widebody, 14 Pro Sport, or 16 Pro Sport?

Thanks, just looking some some info on the boar their selves, how were the dealers, the customer service with Legend boats in general...etc

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Thanks, just looking some some info on the boar their selves, how were the dealers, the customer service with Lund boats in general...etc

MTBF

Legend or Lund??? By the models you have mentioned I am guessing Legend...bought mine slightly used at a non-Legend retailer last year. Have heard good and bad, same as any other dealer...as far as the boat itself, 14 ft pro sport....so far so good! One thing you are going to hear over and over is they come underpowered, which is true....upgrade in your horsepower if you buy one.

Thanks, just looking some some info on the boar their selves, how were the dealers, the customer service with Lund boats in general...etc

MTBF

Legend or Lund??? By the models you have mentioned I am guessing Legend...bought mine slightly used at a non-Legend retailer last year. Have heard good and bad, same as any other dealer...as far as the boat itself, 14 ft pro sport....so far so good! One thing you are going to hear over and over is they come underpowered, which is true....upgrade in your horsepower if you buy one.

Sorry, costumer service with Legend meant. I think the 14 Widebody is all I can get and it would be in late spring. I would like to put in a small casting deck upfront and leave the back bench seat in with the two sideseats.

A 25hp 2 Stroke can be upgraded to with no extra cost or a 30hp 2 stroke can be upgraded with a additional $299 thrown in. Anything else is too expensive for this purchase. I'm sure I would put on a 45lb Bow Mount on the front in the future so the max 30hp would probably be best choice.

Any ideas on gas consumption...

Has anybody bought one of these boats from their series. 14 Widebody, 16 Widebody, 14 Pro Sport, or 16 Pro Sport?

MTBF

I have the 16ft Pro Sport and it is a good little boat, never had a problem with the dealer and I have been treated well. I have had it in some rough conditions and it held up quite well.

I had a 150 Pro Sport widebody. I loved it....I had a 25HP Merc Four stroke on it and it went well....28-30MPH depending on the # people. I did a lot

to it. I put a casting deck on it, trolling motor, carpet seats and so on. It served me very well. I actually had a rivet leak (my fault...don't try to break through ICE with it) and it was fixed no questions asked. Don't go with anything less than a 25.

I used to take it on Nippissing and Simcoe a lot and not once was I scared....the Widebody is the way to go.....with Legend boats :)

Edited by Flappn

Sorry, costumer service with Legend meant. I think the 14 Widebody is all I can get and it would be in late spring. I would like to put in a small casting deck upfront and leave the back bench seat in with the two sideseats.

A 25hp 2 Stroke can be upgraded to with no extra cost or a 30hp 2 stroke can be upgraded with a additional $299 thrown in. Anything else is too expensive for this purchase. I'm sure I would put on a 45lb Bow Mount on the front in the future so the max 30hp would probably be best choice.

Any ideas on gas consumption...

Hey, Mike...not sure about the 2 stroke, hopefully someone else can help you on that, the 4 stroke I have runs on a tank forever, and that is without an electric trolling motor. The casting deck up front sounds like a good idea, my pro sport has the split in back, middle (live well and storage) then a bench and a small seat up front.

I used to own one and it faired out as a great little boat until i over rated the transome with a 55 Suzukie and took it out in extremely rough waters...and i ended up popping a few rivets.....but i had much respect for the boat and its capabilities when i kept it within the power limits it was designed for ...40 horse

im sure you will be happy if you purchase one

after building a casting deck and adding a console it was a very stable boat

Edited by Twocoda

I did buy mine from the 400 dealer but that was about 2002 time frame at their old location and it seemed ok at the time..like I said they repaired rivets no questions asked but I have heard in the recent years to avoid the place like the Plague....

I had a 150 Pro Sport widebody. I loved it....I had a 25HP Merc Four stroke on it and it went well....28-30MPH depending on the # people. I did a lot

to it. I put a casting deck on it, trolling motor, carpet seats and so on. It served me very well. I actually had a rivet leak (my fault...don't try to break through ICE with it) and it was fixed no questions asked. Don't go with anything less than a 25.

I used to take it on Nippissing and Simcoe a lot and not once was I scared....the Widebody is the way to go.....with Legend boats :)

Simcoe must have been calm. LOL

Here`s my 2 cents, If it were me I would not buy a 14 footer unless resricted by budget or tow vehicle.

I started with a 14 footer and it was good on small lakes and calm water but it was not very confortable when it was choppy, nothing worse than wanting to go out fishing and not being able to because of the weather.

I have no direct experience with Legend boats I do have 2 family members that own Legends and they seem pleased with them.

The thing that I would be concerned about in their entry level boats is the width, even though they call it a wide body the beam is only 68" that`s pretty skinny.

I don`t know what kind of water you plan on fishing but with a skinny boat you will have to pick your spots and keep an eye on the weather.

Take a look and see what is available at the show and maybe hang on to your cash and save a little longer it will likely open up the opportunity for a better safer boat that you will enjoy longer and may help you avoid the 2 footitce that so many boat owner have had.

Good luck in your search.

I used the boat on many large lakes and on a few occaisons was stuck out in bad weather and yes I was not scared. Trying to help here....

Just kidding, I tend to be overly cautious when dealing with lakes like Simcoe seen it blow up really quick too many times.

Personally I would not like to be on Simcoe in 3-4 waves in a small skinny boat that would scare me but to each his own.

We have a 15' Legend Widebody that's been pretty much through everything.. It's got a casting deck, livewell, riggers, all kinds of storage etc. I've been on bigger boats (16 and 17ft tillers) that aren't as stable... This little boat handles the bigger water just fine.

One thing I will tell you though is go as big on the motor as you can afford. The max for ours is a 40HP 4stroke and that's exactly what's on the back...

My brother has the 14 widebody, great boat. He has had it for 4 years, does not leak a drop. He does not fish that much though... it really is a bare-bones utility boat. If I were you, I would opt for the 14 or 16 pro sport, ready to fish from. I am seriously thinking about getting the 16 pro sport in the near future.

We have a 15' Legend Widebody that's been pretty much through everything.. It's got a casting deck, livewell, riggers, all kinds of storage etc. I've been on bigger boats (16 and 17ft tillers) that aren't as stable... This little boat handles the bigger water just fine.

One thing I will tell you though is go as big on the motor as you can afford. The max for ours is a 40HP 4stroke and that's exactly what's on the back...

Send me a pic of your casting deck/boat then lol. The max for the 14 WB is 30hp. I can upgrade it to a 2 stroke 30hp for $300...Seems good to me.

Send me a pic of your casting deck/boat then lol. The max for the 14 WB is 30hp. I can upgrade it to a 2 stroke 30hp for $300...Seems good to me.

The upgrade in HP is a good move as I stated earlier...however, maybe we can get some of the guys that have a 2 stroke to chime in...personally I would wait until I had the $$$$'s to buy the 4 stroke. Good luck, Mike!!!

Mike, here is a pic of Solo on a trip we went on last year. Casting deck was custom built by my oldman, along with the floor etc.. You can see the pedestal seat was removed for the trip... It also has an opening on the face of the deck for storage etc... the second pic you can see the mount my oldman made up for the bowmount..

SaubleMar72009019.jpg

SaubleMar72009008.jpg

Edited by BillM

Mike, here is a pic of Solo on a trip we went on last year. Casting deck was custom built by my oldman, along with the floor etc.. You can see the pedestal seat was removed for the trip... It also has an opening on the face of the deck for storage etc... the second pic you can see the mount my oldman made up for the bowmount..

SaubleMar72009019.jpg

SaubleMar72009008.jpg

Those are some nice upgrades Bill...got me thinking now!! Would be nice to have the option of a bow mount trolling motor!

I bought a brand new LEGEND 16 Pro Sport SC at the end of the season last year from Harris Boat Works on Rice Lake and all I can tell you is this:

First of all the boat is amazing for my needs. I am not a tournament angler so the boat has more then what I need for fishing up at my cottage and also it is easily trailerable to Simcoe, etc.....Has a fish finder, live well, rod holders, casting deck, etc. I have also since added a Motor Guide Wireless trolling motor to the bow. I got mine with a 20 four stroke and it is fast enought when I am fishing by myself, however if you take a couple of people with you it is slow and sluggish but I like to relax when on the water and I will get to a spot when I get there. It is quiet and very fuel efficient. Never had a problem with it yet. It is as easy as turn key gets as long as you maintain it properly and winterize.

Secondly, I can't say enough about Harris Boat Works. Jim, Jay and the boys run an amazing operation and they are very knowledgable and friendly, that includes not only the sales guys, but the mechanics and everyone there. They take the time to explain everything and they answer all your questions thouroughly. I have since been back to make another major purchase and they go above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

I highly recommend both LEGEND and Harris Boat Works.

If you have any questions, just ask or PM.....

Dirk

1.jpg

Edited by diggyj