sledhead question

redneck666

hey guys,

well, i seem to be having some issues with my 1992 ski-doo safari 462 (known as a 467).

im not too sure if its the primary clutch or what. all the components in it are good. it takes off at 3500rpm and at full throttle bogs until around 4500rpm then it takes right off like a rocket. i dont know if its how the primary is set or something else. im going to clean the carb. later to see if it semi- fixes the problem. or who knows maybe i have to set the primary to engage at about 4500rpm.....

forgot to mention my 1993 safari rally 503 (dual carb) goes really well! im pretty sure it takes off at the same rpm. no problems with bogging or anything though.

any help would be great.

thanks,

JP

Edited by bigredneck

I've had 2 and 4 stroke toys. I'd have to say i prefer the 2 stroke. I like the noise and smells, more immediate power, and they're generally lighter weight. The biggest consideration for the average person i think would be the different maintenance schedules. 2 strokes require more frequent service for the small, every day things. The 4 stroke needs a little less for both everyday and long term maintenance but the cost is greater when you need it done, like rebuilds. it all balances out. It sounds like this bike will be for fun so just get whichever comes your way when it's time to buy

well, the bike will deffinately be used for more workish sorta things. i gotta have one that can haul my 220lb butt around, plus some fishin gear and whatever else i can manage to haul.

im aware of the maintenance deal too. i service all of my sleds myself, and i make sure its done right before i take them out. same with my quad i sold. was a 4 stroke and the engine mounts gave way with only one left holding the enigine in place so i decided to scrap it.

Edited by bigredneck

A single cylinder 4 stroke makes the most sense if you want a bush beater, a workhouse. But if you want to be quick and nimble the 2 strokes are probably better. Better fuel consumption on most 4 strokers too. Of course, I'm kinda out of touch but I doubt things have changed all that much, other than more power and longevity.

JF

tell me somethin john, did the 125cc 2 strokes have reeds back in the day? (i have no clue).

I'm pretty sure they did. The Japanese were definitely starting to use reeds then.

Reeds were just coming on the scene during my bike years.

JF

Edited by JohnF

oh, thats cool. another nice thing to know...... and "fishburn" , ya rm's are crazy bikes. i've riddin my buddy's rm125 and almost traded my little beater of a quad for a 1994 rm125 haha! i got rid of that little quad without it even having 15 hours on it!

A single cylinder 4 stroke makes the most sense if you want a bush beater, a workhouse. But if you want to be quick and nimble the 2 strokes are probably better. Better fuel consumption on most 4 strokers too. Of course, I'm kinda out of touch but I doubt things have changed all that much, other than more power and longevity.

JF

I agree John, and there's no premixing gas and oil with a 4 strokers

I like the 2 strokers, but that's what I'm used to. I find the 4 strokes ride totally different. I think its just the sound that throws me off. Theres nothing like winding out a 2 stroke!! More responsive IMO. The 4 strokes are a bit heavier too.

S.

Again, I'm totally out of touch. Does anyone still make a 4 stroke single dirt bike?

JF

i think most are still singles, but with 4 valves.... yup just checked honda and kawasaki i think its safe to say most bikes made are single cyl. 4 strokes with the valve train being a unicam 4 valve.

also just checked and yamaha and ktm are the only big guys that still make a 2 stroke. yamaha up to 250cc and ktm.....well i forget already but more than 250cc anyway.

in 2010 and 2009 im pretty sure.

Edited by bigredneck

A 250cc 2stroke competes with the 450cc 4stroke class, so it's not a matter of cc's.... I love the neck snapping acceleration of the 2stroke, but for trails, woods and stuff like that, you can't beat a 4stroke for lugging around.

If I am on the track, I'd take the 2stroke every single time.

Also a 2stroke is worlds cheaper to maintain then a 4stroke.. No valve adjustments, no expensive parts to blow up.. Get a hone, a new piston kit and you are good to go...

got 2 1991 honda xr 250s here both 4 stroke....original motor..never had to fix anything but normal maintenance in over 6 years of having them...when i has my 125 2 stroke it was a different story, always something going on them!

Back in '83, I got a brand spanking new Honda XR100 that was a great little bike. It sipped gas, did 80kph and had no troubles with the trails up on the Ganny. As I grew older I picked up an '82(I think) Kawi KDX 175 that had been worked over. It was a fast bike but had no low end torque at all (the Honda had gobs of it). It was a pig on fuel but it had tons of power. If I was in the market for a newer bike, I'd definitely go with a 4 stroke, less pollution, better fuel economy, less maintenance.......

if you dont intend on racing ...go with the 4 stroke ...youll be pleasantly surprised at the power they have ...but they are heavier ...i always had two strokes but my son bought a thumper and i was quite amazed at the torque ( even in the lower bands) no problems what so ever riding on one wheel with a flick of the wrist....your not going to come out of hairpin turns like a stroker but you gain it back in the high end ....and you can say your eco friendly...

trust me ...they both have the abilities to hurt you ... :lol:

got 2 1991 honda xr 250s here both 4 stroke....original motor..never had to fix anything but normal maintenance in over 6 years of having them...when i has my 125 2 stroke it was a different story, always something going on them!

I can imagine how you rode that 125 :) They are either on or off, lol...

XR's are probably the most bulletproof, reliable bikes ever made.. They just never quit.. But you really can't compare the two.

i actually coulda saved my 200cc little 4 stroke. was from my little china/japan quad. i was actually asking around for a honda xr200 body complete but without an engine. that thing did about 60km/h on a really bumpy gravel road out at my buddy's camp so i would imagine it would be even faster in a bike that had suspension that isnt so damn stiff.

anyhow thanks for the info. guys!

I went through this same dilemma last spring...looked at 125 2 strokes and 250 4 strokes and ended up buying the Yamaha TTR 230 4 Stroke with a TNT

Big Gun exhaust (from California) and I love the bike. I'm a hefty 225 pounds and I am completely happy with the bike. The Exhaust gave it the little more I wanted (sounds nicer too) and raised the suspension a bit.

The 250 4 Stroke requires all the racing/track Maintenance I did not want to deal with. I wanted to jump on and go for many many years and that

is what the TTR 230 provides.

I have friends now looking at the same bike or the Honda CRF 230. I have a friend with the CRF 230 and he loves it equally...although I believe it

is a little heavier....YAMAHA all the way!!!

DSC00090.JPG

Edited by Flappn

I went through this same dilemma last spring...looked at 125 2 strokes and 250 4 strokes and ended up buying the Yamaha TTR 230 4 Stroke with a TNT

Big Gun exhaust (from California) and I love the bike. I'm a hefty 225 pounds and I am completely happy with the bike. The Exhaust gave it the little more I wanted (sounds nicer too) and raised the suspension a bit.

The 250 4 Stroke requires all the racing/track Maintenance I did not want to deal with. I wanted to jump on and go for many many years and that

is what the TTR 230 provides.

I have friends now looking at the same bike or the Honda CRF 230. I have a friend with the CRF 230 and he loves it equally...although I believe it

is a little heavier....YAMAHA all the way!!!

Oh and if you "bush ride" like I do and get into some hairy spots......it has electric start.....no kicking involved..aaahhhhh

I myself am a 2 stroke kinda guy. I like the fast accel and response off the throttle, and the obnoxious tune from the pipes, and weight ratio. I have ridden both 2 and 4 stroke bikes, and there are advantages and disadvantages as everyone has stated here in this thread. In the end, it's really up to you whether you wear red, blue, green or yellow. It all depends on what you are comfortable with, your riding style, type of trails you make for yourself, maintenance costs including the specialized tools to do the job, and even your mechanical abilities if you say you're working on it yourself. If you end up cutting a super tight trail, and as you mentioned that you will be riding slow, I myself would get a 4.

Good luck and have fun!

well, i made my decision, thanks guys! im all for the 4 stroker now. i love the tourque. my spending cap is $3000 so i'll see if i can find a nice honda 4 stroke for 2 grand and an older 2 stroke for around 1 grand. failed to mention that i used to own an xr100 back in the day (got it for free). It was dry seized. 1991 i think it was. the bike sat for a long time. never got around to fixing it so i pretty well gave it away for $50. was in pretty near mint condition too!

thanks again guys.

JP