boat insurance

cowanjo

Hi all, I would like to ask for your help. My broker is not great in boat insurance. Just purchased a smoker craft 161 with 60HP. Want to ensure have adequate insurance cover. Any suggestions

Thank you

John

Edited by cowanjo

I was once told, several years ago that I could have a boat and motor as a rider on my property insurance only if the motor was 25HP or less. Don't know it that was true or if it still holds but I have always had mine as a stand alone policy. And I DO read the fine print.

Most home policies cover boats up to 18 HP.. give or take.. read your fine print.. but only to the tune of $1500 usually.. and liability which is the most important part. You can upgrade, at cost, for any horsepower you want. I cover the 25HP and steel boat at the camp that way for about $65 a year for theft ($6500 value) on the 25 honda and 2 million liability for boat use.

If you have a nice new boat though.. I'd highly suggest a marine policy, with full replacement value. I use "First Mate" - Royal Sun Alliance Yacht Works for my Lund.

Edited by irishfield

I insured my boat through RBC under my home insurence. $10 a month for a boat worth $10 000. Had my 90hp motor stolen this year and recived a $5500 pay out that covered a new used 90hp motor, controls and install. 10 out of 10 for RBC.

Liability also included in coverage.