Aluminum or Fiberglass 14 ft boat?

splashhopper

14 foot fiberglass fishing boat with older rebuilt 5 hp motor and trailer. $500.00

I only have a limited budget this year for a boat.....

What should Iook for in terms of problems for the boat above itself.

I am not too concerned about the motor... as I have a 36lb thrust electric motor for what I want a boat for.

( Or will the 36 lb even pull this thing?)

I also have a fellow tradesman that I can barter some service for any repairs that this might need.

Any thoughts on Fiberglass vs Aluminum when it comes to this size of boat?

It will be used for landlocked lakes only.

Thanks.

If it is a clean lake I would go for aluminum. I have one lake here that I would only use a glass boat on though. It's called stump lake. You cannot go more than 100 feet without hitting one. With the glass boat it flexes over the stump and has a flatter bottom for stability. We use a 48 lbs trolling motor to push it.

Aluminum, and your 36lb will do just fine. I got one on a 14.5 and it moves it fine. To give you an idea: in a 1.5ft chop the thrust has to be at just over half (6/10) the max power of the motor to move it very slowly (0.8mph). When there is next to no current, the boat will move slowly (0.8mph) at the 1.5-2/10 setting. At max thrust I think I get something like 5mph. Not bad for a 1200lb boat including me and a passenger. Hope this helps!

another vote for aluminum for the already mentioned reasons, also they take the weather better if stored outside, takes a smaller hp motor vs the same size fiberglass, more fuel efficient. Older fiberglass boats especially scare me, make sure you check them over good especially around the transom. Look for cracks, or any swelled areas, check the gel coat for chips that may have let water in and soaked the wood core. Good luck with your search. Older aluminum boats may have cracks or loose rivets too so take your time and look them over well too.

seems like Aluminum is the boat of choice ...

And JJ canoe knows I have to pull it with my old Caravan....

So,,,, I will keep lookin for a deal on an aluminum one.

I am open to a barter of my services too.. so we will see what comes up....

Thanks for all the responses...