need a little bit of help

Hellfish

Well I got the best news this year so far, that my girlfriend wants to explore what the North has to offer in March we are from the Niagara Region . She has never been past Barrie and would love to show her the Majestic great white North and what it has to offer. What I am looking for is information to where I should take her. We are not really to concerned about length of drive would like to keep it under 16-18hrs if possible. I would love a area that we can possibly rent a sled if there is snow which around March 7 I would assume there would be snow maybe spend a day or two exploring with rented sleds and then spend a day ice fishing with a operator. I want to make sure we get at least as far as LSPP or Lake superior in general. She ha

So IF it is possible

1) Need ideas of where to go, Nipigon, LOTW, Lac Seul, LSPP. Algoma. I really do not know just looking for the best options for some of the most beautiful and interactive areas where someone who wants to either take a tour of the area or cruise the area in Rented sleds

2) Also going to base some of the decision on where we will be ice fishing. So if I can get some ideas on where to fish that would be great as well. I am not much of into ice fishing but would love to try for splakes, brook trout, lakers, whitefish maybe walleye i was thinking Nipigon but am very open to any suggestions.

I know I am asking for a lot but I just want to make sure she sees all she can see within a 5 day period also want to show her what this ice fishing thing is all about and whats a better place to do it than the great white north.

Thank you in advance

thnx for the info, im not that particular about the sleds i just thought that would be a easy way of getting her a glimpse of the country. Some places do trail rides with horses some do hayride tours. I find it impossible to find the info I am looking for. So hopefully someone here can guide me in the right direction

Elliot lake ice fishing trip would be nice, iam dying to get back there someday it's being since late 80's.

I've thought of a romantic type trip with my wife, get her in the ice hut for a day,crank the heat up to high!! :wub:

Ahah You have got the right idea, no better way than that.

Alright so I know I want to fish Nipigon so Anybody know of any operators out that way? Again I did look but can not find anything really related with ice fishing nipigon and operators. Looking to fish the day and if the price is right maybe sleep in the hut if not a dive hotel will do.

Possibly before hitting nipigon, maybe take the 11 from North bay and check out Timmins, kapuskasing hearst and follow that through to Nipigon. Then on the way home take the 17 possibly and follow that around the great lakes. So I think that is the game plan. With that in mind anyone have any suggestions on where to stop or rent sleds for a couple hours in that area?? There is a place called Cedar Meadows in Timmins and my gf seems to like that and they offer accommodations and activities there where you can feed moose and such so that seems good other than that it is near impossible to find the info

thanx again

For scenery you have to be in BC to beat the drive along Lake Superior, Sault to Thunder bay.

Hwy 11 is flat and straight...jackpine and black spruce all the way. Good snowmobiling though.

You can rent sleds in Sault Michigan and run their trails.

Get Luc or oneathem crazies to take you for a walk in the park fishing.

Would your girlfriend really be up for spending a night in a fishing hut? You got a keeper.

GL with the search

Actually yes, I brought it up last year. And this year we were going to Jamica in March but decided to do that in October and she brought this up for March, So after 10yrs she certainly a keeper

Brook Trout are closed all winter on Nipigon. I believe it reopens in early May, but I could be wrong about the date. Lakers are open at some point during the winter. Check the MNR site for exact dates. Artificials only while ice fishing as well. No live, dead or organic bait allowed. Honestly, I know lots of people that fish Nipigon in the summer, but I have never known anyone to fish it in the winter. The lake is full of springs which could pose a danger while running around out there. There are no hut operators or outfitters that I know of.

If going to Nipegon, definitely take the drive on hwy #17W past Sault Ste. Marie. That's about as scenic as Ontario gets. You could always try ice fishing in LSPP and driving to Wawa for overnight accommodations. That way you also have the shot at Brookies, and its going to be snowshoeing only too, a true taste of the north. I know of one place in Sault Ste. Marie ON that rents out sleds, and I think they actually have some big "sled tour" kind of thing. http://www.algomasledtours.com/indexsledtours.shtml I think that would be kinda cool myself, but no idea of the cost.

Or if going to LOTW area which is nice, but really not worth the 20 something hour drive, plan on flying to Winnipeg, renting a car and driving to an Ice fishing guide there.

LOTW is no more than 10hrs from SSM and from what I've seen its amazing.

The Soo offers a good mix of amenities in town and outdoor experience, Mockingbird farms has hayrides, there are a number of hut operators there. Also there are a number of more accessible lakes in LSPP that have been stocked with specks. You don't have to go crazy to catch a fish...its easy to get away from the crowds there.