Auger blades - sharpen

The Birdfish

I don't own a power auger so my advice might not apply. However I was out yesterday as well. When it is that cold ice often forms on the bottom/back of the blades...the side closest to the ice. This really effects how the blades will cut. If you had ice build up on your power auger there it might have caused the same problems. I carefully whack it off :whistling: with my scoop and then it cuts normally again.

Funny thing, I had the same thing happen to me yesterday for the first time. Found that the ice was built up on the bottom preventing the blades from catching. Knocked off the excess ice with a plastic scoop and off I went drilling again. The ice seem to build up quicker when we put the auger on the snow right after we pulled it out of the hole.

Make sure the end of your auger is clear of ice and snow.

After drilling a hole before setting the auger aside drill another hole but not all the way through to the water. This will clean off the ice build up. If the ice is thick enough the auger can be left standing in this hole ready to go when you want it.

Or if you clean out the ice chips & fill with lake water it makes a good spot to store your minnows if not to cold out.

leaving an auger standing in a hole is not a really good idea during cold weather If there is any water on the ice it could flow into the hole and then freeze due to the upper part of the auger in wind chill

Don't ask me how I know but i wasn't leaving my auger all nite :P

If you are going with a new blade make sure you put it on the right way. I know of a guy who put the blade on backwards and could not figure out why his auger wouldn't cut. :rolleyes: Now having said this, I'm sure you'll be fine. ;)

I've personally bought another set of blade for my auger as a spare set and never used them. I've just sharpened the old ones and they seem to cut fine to me. Same set of blades for about 15 years. Now, when it comes time to replace them I hope that I remember to put them on the right way. :D