Introduction and Fishing Report

smitter

Hi Guys

A little introduction and trip report here.

My name is Jason, I've been an occasional lurker here for a long time, but I've been reading some reports on here from the Algoma area and thought I'd start posing some reports too. I live in Sault Ste. Marie and I enjoy fishing all over the Algoma district.

Yesterday I took the family up to Lake Superior Provincial Park for some ice fishing.

On the way up the thermometer was reading -25 so I wasn't sure how much fishing we would be able to do with the little one, but the forecast was for a warmer day, so we continued on.

IMG_2772.jpg

Saw a bunch of other people fishing the various other brook trout lakes on the way up to our lake. We decided to fish one of the bigger Lake Trout lakes in the park with a short walk in. We arrived at the parking area about 9:30 and after a little exercise we arrived. The lake had 12" of good ice, very little snow, but a couple inches of slush in some small areas by shore.

IMG_2787.jpg

We caught a few fish, including these two which we brought home for dinner. I missed 4 good hits because I wasn't paying attention, I guess having a kid will do that too you. White tube jigs failed me today, Green and silver jigging spoons were the ticket.

My son Nolan on his first fishing trip.

IMG_2784.jpg

This is the other one we brought home.

IMG_2786.jpg

It started snowing soon after we got there and it warmed up to -6 on the ice and much warmer in the in the tent.

IMG_2774.jpg

Left the lake about 3:30, this is my wife Beth with our son on the hike out.

IMG_2796.jpg

On the way home we saw this wolf crossing the ice on Lake Superior. He was a little to far out from shore and it was a little too dark for a good picture.

IMG_2799.jpg

So everyone had a great time and the trout were delicious.