need camcorder advice

bow slayer

looking to buy a new camcorder I still have the same I have had for 12 years now 8mm tape. Still works but would like to get something smaller that I can directly transfer to my PC and burn dvds. Its going to cost me big bucks to transfer all the 8mm tapes to dvds (about 25 tapes) and I would like to make it simpiler.

So could anyone recommend a descent camcorder that uses either a SD card or memory stick.thanks.

I love my JVC Evario - huge hard drive and easy backup onto PC (to make DVD's) ... only issue is that you can record WAY more than will fit on a DVD .... anyhow small reliable and many hours ... buy spare batteries though :)

I would recommend one of these two units. The first one is cheap and very good. The other is a bit more pricey but is water proof great for fishing applications. Both are small and run on SD cards. If you want to go HD them you will be spending a lot more money. Also I've seen these on sale for a better price. You just have to be patient

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...est%5Fcookie=1#

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...mp;catid=23053#

I recently bought a Canon Mini DV, ya I know, old school these days. It was a way to get a great picture and had an external mic input which I need for a job I was doing. Worked great and was cheap. Still a tape unit but I'd go for a hard drive camera for my personal use if I was in the market for one. Some good infor from the others here in that regards.

As for you transfer issues, why not look at one of these and do it yourself? Converter

You can spend a lot more but this looks like it might do the job for you. Here's a few others that are available at Tiger Direct. More

only need the camcorder? if so, can't help ya. but if you're also interested in a great camera, i'd consider a Canon DSLR -- many of the new ones shoot HD video. I'm sure Nikon and other brands do as well, but personally not familiar with their lines...