In Before The Arctic Blast ~ A Couple Of Well Earned Steelhead

solopaddler

I fished on the 31st with Dave (Drifter_016) once again.

Man did we put a lot of miles on the truck in search of fishable water! :lol:

We burned an entire tank of gas, got lost, made 2 border crossings and ultimately ended up at a spot 30 mins from my house in the early afternoon.

From our vantage point high above the river it looked prime: slightly off coloured, up a bit and no slush.

We quickly geared up and hustled our way down to the river.

Without having a lot of time to fish we were both pretty pleased to each put one fish on the bank.

The small chromer I managed to subdue actually took me for a walk downstream and was surprisingly powerful.

The Battle And The Prize

NewYears1-1.jpg

newyears2-1.jpg

newyears3.jpg

newyears4-1.jpg

newyears5.jpg

Dave's Slab-O-Chrome

newyears6-1.jpg

Great way to cap the 09 season!

I fished on the 31st with Dave (Drifter_016) once again.

We burned an entire tank of gas, got lost, made 2 border crossings and ultimately ended up at a spot 30 mins from my house in the early afternoon.

From our vantage point high above the river it looked prime: slightly off coloured, up a bit and no slush.

We quickly geared up and hustled our way down to the river.

Without having a lot of time to fish we were both pretty pleased to each put one fish on the bank.

The small chromer I managed to subdue actually took me for a walk downstream and was surprisingly powerful.

The Battle And The Prize

NewYears1-1.jpg

newyears2-1.jpg

newyears3.jpg

newyears4-1.jpg

newyears5.jpg

Dave's Slab-O-Chrome

newyears6-1.jpg

I still think we had enough time to make it to the Soo!!!!! :lol:

My vacation is pretty much over, so now I need to figure out how to get all my new fishin' goodies back home.

Can't wait to hit the ice next weekend and try out the new gear!!! :clapping:

Plus a bunch of balsa for new floats, a stack of exotic wood and blanks from JC (Thanks John) and a new set of trailer tires and rims for my sled trailer (shipped Canada Post) to Yellowknife and still saved about $45 over buying them back home.

I also have a nice new custom 9' bottom bouncing stick thanks to Mike (solo) that needs to be packed up with the rest of my gear.

So tomorrow it's off to the hotel Indigo up on Carlingview and an early flight back to the promised land by lunch.

newtoyz.jpg

Solo, you must not have gotten down my way? I was out new years eve and day in beautifully chalky green water, a little shelf ice to work around, ......but no slush.....and a number of downed floats.

Ill add that we did have to start dodging a little ice in the flow mid day yesterday (new years day)

I had the nephew out who finally hooked and fought his first steelhead new years eve, and another the next day. GOod start to his year!!!

Edited by Blaque

Dave's Slab-O-Chrome

newyears6-1.jpg

love the rod sweet work, could you PM with the details on the handle and who made it

Thanks, yes it was done by yours truely. :blush:

The rod is a 15' CTS 4-8# blank and is very nice to fish with.

Handle is just cork and cocobolo wood, quite tame compared to some of the others I've put together.

Here's a 15 foot Raven IM8 I made last year. The handle is cottonwood bark with maple/cocobolo checkers and brass trim rings plus a couple of burl cork rings to finish it out.

The seat and cap are Amboyna Burl.

Handle13.jpg

And a 10 foot 7 weight Rainshadow fly stick.

IF1067.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks, yes it was done by yours truely. :blush:

The rod is a 15' CTS 4-8# blank and is very nice to fish with.

Handle is just cork and cocobolo wood, quite tame compared to some of the others I've put together.

Here's a 15 foot Raven IM8 I made last year. The handle is cottonwood bark with maple/cocobolo checkers and brass trim rings plus a couple of burl cork rings to finish it out.

The seat and cap are Amboyna Burl.

Handle13.jpg

And a 10 foot 7 weight Rainshadow fly stick.

IF1067.jpg

I see there's a distinct advantage to the long arctic winter lethargy. You've become quite the artist, Dave. Sweeeeet work! :clapping:

p.-