First ice fishing trip on Sturgeon Lake

Big Cliff

Well, yesterday I got my trusty auger out and started walking and drilling. I was a little worried about what the ice might be like out over the chanel so I just took my time and drilled holes about every 50 yards but there was no need to worry, there is a good solid 8-10" of ice.

I had thought the chanel would be a perfect place to find the perch and crappies, light weed cover on the bottom, deepest water in the area, heavy weed beds on both sides. My nephew, a friend, and I fished for about 3 hours, and covered quite a bit of ice but the only luck we had was that Jim got two hits and got bitten off both times. I kind of figure it must have been muskie because there was no fight, just a slow pull then nothing. We checked on another group fishing on the other side of the lake in another area I had thought would be good but apparently they hadn't got anything either.

A group with a hut down near Pleasent Point had fished New Years eve until about 3 am and apparently all they got was one small walleye which I am told they promptly released but that was the only bite they had.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, I may get out and drill some more holes today if the wind isn't too bad. It might take me a while but I'll find them! I must say though, it was sure nice to be able to walk out my door and be ice fishing, Sue walked out at one point, the kids all came out for a visit. What a perfect day.

:wallbash:I really am not all that surprised that no one got any significant catches of perch, bluegills, crappie or pumpkinseeds, as I rarely hear anybody boasting about 'GREAT PANFISH CATCHES' or rarely ever see posts about people fishin' em up there? EVERYBODY seems to go for the pickerel, bass & muskies that fishes the terrotory. Rice & Scugog seem to be the main target area for crappies . . . and I have seen no posts about anything being caught on either lake yesterday? I have a wee bit of a problem walking any distances or standing around as my knee is kinda frigged up. I go for arthroscopic surgery on February 5 . . . no idea how this will affect my walking capabilities, or for how long. There's been so much trash tossed out along Simcoe over the years, there's only a few spots you can get on the ice now, and not likely more than a couple hundred shore parking spots around the whole lake, and they're getting fewer by the day. Won't be long till every waterbody in the Kawarthas will be the same! The panfish gotta be there though, in winter, it's just finding 'em? And when somebody does figure it out, my bet is they'll be keeping zipped lips?

One of the problems with this lake is that there is a lot of area to cover and no ice fishing history to work with so patterns haven't been established yet. Scugog has a long history and as with any body of water there will be places that produce (or not) at different times of the year but by now, those places are established on Scugog and Simco. It will take many years for that to happen in the rest of the Kawarthas.

As far as posting if I am catching or not.... I wouldn't be afraid to share (brag), I might not give out the location of my honey hole openly on the internet but this is a fishing website and so many of the people on here have given me information and help when I needed it. The list is way too long and if I was to live to be 100 I could never give back what I have received from others here.

You are a prime example of that; you have done so many things for me, given me tackle, shown me spots, shared your bait with me, gave me a fantastic deal on the flasher.... again the list is long. I can only try to repay some of that kindness. I think it is called "paying it forward" but I am way behind right now.!

A few years ago I did actually post some GPS locations of some of my favorite spots, perhaps no one believed me and thought it was some kind of a joke or something but I have never seen anyone else in those spots. Funny thing is, I was really hoping to have some company and share some good fishing. I ended up getting so much flack from some other members though about openly posting locations on the board that I don't do it anymore. My favorite spot might be someone elses favorite spot and I might give it away. "You know what bulls do that you don't want to step in?" But sometimes we try to please everyone even if it is the wrong thing to do but we are Canadians aren't we?

Steve I hope your surgery goes well and that you can run a marathon when it is all done but as I have told you many times before, if you ever want to come fishing up here, you have a place to park, facilities to use, a place to fish, and as long as the ice is safe enough for me to take my ATV on you will not have to walk or stand.

You are right about the parking becoming less and less as the last few public access spots get developed but I think it will be several years before that becomes a real problem here. I guess only time will tell.

I don't know about up there, but down here in the winter Crappie want a tiny offering. I think they would rather eat 100 tiny things than 1 big thing.

Just a suggestion to maybe down size if you aren't getting any bites.

I know y'all will figure those Kawartha fish out and I'm looking forward to the pics when you do!

I must say though, it was sure nice to be able to walk out my door and be ice fishing, Sue walked out at one point, the kids all came out for a visit. What a perfect day.

Yep sounds like a perfect day to me Cliff. I've had some real good times on the water/ice when the fish just decided not to join in as well.

Ice fishing for pannies is something I really love. I am green with envy of anyone who lives in the Kawartha's. Someday when Debbe and I retire up that way I will get to experience it as well. I can't wait.

Yesterday was sub par on Scugog as well. I think the front coming in had everything in neutral.

Better luck next time you lucky bugger.

I don't know about up there, but down here in the winter Crappie want a tiny offering. I think they would rather eat 100 tiny things than 1 big thing.

Just a suggestion to maybe down size if you aren't getting any bites.

I know y'all will figure those Kawartha fish out and I'm looking forward to the pics when you do!

You mean a 6" sucker minnow isn't the best bait to use for crappie? :dunno:

LOL, we tried pin head minnows, some micro jigs, and maggots. The two hits that Jim did have were on the minnows, 6 lb test line and muskie don't seem to be a good combination.

Heya Cliff, we got into a few craps on Rice. Found them in 14-18ft after 3 hours of searching. If I was you I would head north from your place and try around the point north of you. IF you weren't already there, ;)

I'm pretty sure I have said this in the past but........

I cant remember the last time I caught "a single" Crappie up in the Kawarthas.

Dont know what all the fuss is about :whistling:

Meely :devil:

OK fishing 101 is where you need to start LOL!

Oh well, back to the drawing board, I may get out and drill some more holes today if the wind isn't too bad. It might take me a while but I'll find them! I must say though, it was sure nice to be able to walk out my door and be ice fishing, What a perfect day.

Better make sure you got your long-johns on Cliff...

-18*C with wind chill -28*C

Winds NW @ 20 kph gusting to 30 kph

Went out to throw some wood up onto the back porch...it can wait 'till later... :rolleyes: