Gilford Dec 31st

Fang

Drove up to Gilford around 10:30 this morning. wanted to be able to follow the safe pathways if there was any and I always go by the rule - never be the first out . Stopped by Innisfill Bait and Tackle and picked up 2 scoops of minnows just in case.

Got down to the lake and saw about a hundred guys all south east of Gilford. To the north was heavy chunck ice that looked like it all got blown in - looked pretty rough. Talked to a couple of locals and they said to stay to the south. Just north of Gilford about 1/2 Km looked like open water. Pretty wide pressure crack had opened up.

My son and I headed out on the worn footpath out to the horde and then followed a path to the most northerly group. Checked the ice a couple of times and there was 4" of black ice or more in all spots. Non stop action from 11 am till 4 pm. We pretty much went through all 2 scoops. Also hit a good number of fish on small ice jigs tipped with maggots. Most fish were typical 8-9"ers but we did get a good number of bigger ones. Wifey's rinsing off the fillets as I type. Then it's a cold beer, the junior game and a plate of fresh perch. Fishing was too good to take a lot of pictures. Maybe post a couple after dinner. Biggest was maybe 13" but most arounf 10"

Ice conditions to the north of Gilford still very unsafe from what I saw. A few quads and machines were running huts out but even from a couple hundred yards away the water in hole fishing hole was going up and down.

If anyones going tomorrow stay with the crowd and everyone was south of the Kon Tiki marina.