Portable ice hut heating questions

GoneFishin

I have a 4 man Eskimo portable ice hut I just picked up the other day. It's 68"x68"x74" Got it out today and was pretty impressed with the size and everything. Today was about -10 (plus wind chill -16) and it kept in some heat just from us sitting in it but it could use a heater so I went out a bought a mr.heater original dual heater. But I'm starting to think it might be a bit over kill lol. The min output is 8,000 btu and the max is 26,000 btu. What would be a good, safe output for a heater in a portable ice hut the size of mine? Any advice is appreciated. :)

You must have bought the one with 2 propane tanks (Big Buddy)?

I have the Buddy (1 propane tank) and it is just about the perfect size for the pop up shelters. With -20C plus wind it will keep you toasty warm in there.

Burt :)

You must have bought the one with 2 propane tanks (Big Buddy)?

I have the Buddy (1 propane tank) and it is just about the perfect size for the pop up shelters. With -20C plus wind it will keep you toasty warm in there.

Burt :)

It's the original with 2 elements not the buddy heater. It mounts on top of a 20lb tank.

Way overkill in my opinion. I use a Mr. Buddy which has a 4000-9000 BTU output. I heat my 4-6 man hut in minus 20 no problem. Most of the time its on low. The tank top unit you bought is better suited for a small garage. The only downside of the smaller heater is that it uses the one pound tanks. You have to buy the tank adapter or re-fill the little guys like I do. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Way overkill in my opinion. I use a Mr. Buddy which has a 4000-9000 BTU output. I heat my 4-6 man hut in minus 20 no problem. Most of the time its on low. The tank top unit you bought is better suited for a small garage. The only downside of the smaller heater is that it uses the one pound tanks. You have to buy the tank adapter or re-fill the little guys like I do. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Yah I liked the fact that it uses the 20lb tank instead of the bottles. I looked at the buddy heaters and I wasn't sure if they would do the job but it looks like I was wrong.. I think I'm gonna try it out tomorrow and see if it's usable in my hut.

the buddy heater and the big buddy both take a 20LB propane tank

way cheaper then the little bottles

tracker uses his big buddy in the big ice hut and it will cook you right out if you leave it turned up to long.

in a portable hut you only need the little buddy which puts out 5000-9000 btu's

I like mine... think I grabbed it on sale for $30 at CTC last fall. CAREFULLY turning the burner assembly from the way it comes.. makes for a real nice cooking surface! I have a little coffee pot to boil water for Mr. Noodles and to heat tinfoil covered wraps for everyone's lunch. Last week I used it to heat up a can of Chef BoyrD.. works great. Heck.. keeps you warm in the hut too ! LOL

mar09x.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Yah you were not joking lol... I had my windows open and my door and had it on the lowest setting today and it was still cooking us out.. Any one have a smaller heater they want to trade for a 26,000 btu one? lol..