ATV Question

bassassin

Hello fine folks,

i am prepping for the hard water season, after nearly herniating a disk on several occasions last year dragging a somewhat portable hut km's out to prime fishing locations on the ice i have desided to buy a mid 80's 3 wheeler to due the grunt work for me. Any one know if i need plates or insurance if im just using the thing on ice?? Before you ask my budget is under 1K thus a mid 80's 3 wheeler is about my only option!!! do the ministry officers ask for any papers for the the quad you ride on the ice, and finally most of the used stuff out there dont have any ownership literature anymore will that be an issue for me?

Thanks in advance for your help, also for good Karma sake if you have a quad for under a grand I will buy it and speak highly of your generosity to the masses...

Jason

Not 100% sure, but I don't think you can register the older 3 wheelers anyore, they were sort of outlawed due to the safety problem of too many people doing wheelies and having the machine land on them. I don't think too many Insurance companies will touch them either. Riding on your own property, no problem, anywhere else, don't think so. As for being asked for reg and ins, yes the ministry does ask, checking for stolen ATVs/Snowmobiles. It may be a whole lot cheaper to go with an older snowmobile, they can be had for $1K or less.

Bassassin, you may want to rethink the whole three wheeler thing. I was like you, looking to spend a grand or less and the only way to go was an 80's three wheeler. I took one out on the snow and almost instantly got stuck. I ended up buying a four wheel drive ATV and it still is dicey out there when there is snow. You will need an ownership and insurance if you move it off your own property.