Questions Regarding Ice Fishing

tibbs

Hi Everyone,

I hope all you OFNers had a fantastic Christmas!! :santa:

I have some questions regarding ice fishing:

1. Would a medium action rod be best for the species i am targeting? (Walleye, brook trout, and steelhead)

2. Should i buy a 6" or 8" auger?

3. What is the best quality ice fishing combo? ($50 or less)

4. Should i use braid or mono line? And, what pound test should i use?

Thanks,

Griffin

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!!!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

for walleye and brookies a 6" will do. Not sure about steelhead.

I have an 8", and can say that 6"s are SOOOO much faster and easier to pop holes with. The 8" isn't hard,, but if i were moving around a lake all day popping dozens of holes i'd probablywant a 6.

I use a 6" auger cause 8" gets too darn tough to drill through lots of ice. I can drill 2-6" side by side and chip out the middle if I need a bigger hole. Pulled a 17lb laker out of a 6" hole last year.

Right now I don't think there's a better deal than the St Croix Premier rods for $22 bucks at Fishing World. They do come with a reel too for under $40 most places.

I use the 32" Medium action for walleye, steelhead and lakers but did see a Medium Light that looked and felt interesting. I like the longer rods as I fish all the time out in the open. The medium action has a bit more back bone for when fishing in +40FOW. Have used 6 lb in previous years but pretty much now stick to 8lb Pink Raven (steelhead line). It handles great in the cold and does not ice up as much as other lines and works better on the edges of the auger holes than 6lb. The pink color is great for standing out visusally and I can say I've seen line jump a couple times with hits when the rod doesn't move

I run to a sampo or Pline swivel and then tie in a 3 ft section of 10lb flouro. Unless your using an ice braid be prepared for it icing up. Power pro is not to bad but in real cold weather braid ices in the hole too much.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'll be getting my ice fishing stuff sometime this week.

Right now I don't think there's a better deal than the St Croix Premier rods for $22 bucks at Fishing World. They do come with a reel too for under $40 most places.

Do you know if they sell this combo at BPS?

Thanks,

Griffin

Last year got myself a Blue Ice jigging rod / reel combo with large guides at Walmart and real happy with it. I think it was $19.99 plus taxes. I coupled it with Power Pro Ice braid 15Lbs test.... toughest line you can get IMO

You can always tie a fluro leader to the main line using a double Uni knot for the finicky ones. 6" auger should be good for what you are targeting and personally did not hook any fish that didn't go through a 6" hole. Bigger is nice to have but not necessary.

Hope this helps you out in your decision

Tight lines & good luck to you on the hard stuff

Leechman

I picked up a couple of the St. Croixs at BPS. There is no reason you can't attach one of your summer reels to it, save some cash for other gear. 6lb mono is my choice, don't get fooled by ice line, it all freezes up. I like to start with the biggest hole possible (Jiffy 10"). I fish in some nasty cold and blowing snow. The smaller the hole the faster it becomes unfishable because of ice and snow build up. On alot of ocassions I start with a 10" hole but by the end of the day it's a 4" hole. Start big is my advice.

Fireline Micro ice....regular or the newer 'chrystal' would be my suggestion...i use a micro swivel and have a 2' leader of flourocarbon.

Like someone else said....use your summer reel and get a decent rod....but i have about 5 'cheap' combos...in fact i dont own anything else.

As for auger...unless you plan on fishing lakes wih 50lbers an 8" will do ya.....a 10"

hole freezes just as fast as an 8" believe me....lol

Just my 0.02