Tip ups

troutboy

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
What is the "reel" that you have there?

And how does it stay "locked" while still fishing?

Thanks again.

:D

the line is a large spool of depth coloured ice line, held by rubber washer, bolt and wingnut. i imagine you could use any type of spool as long as you attach it well. i'd recommend something fairly large in diameter to make it easier to reel up. winding 100 feet of line by hand onto a small spool isn't fun.

it is never really locked. the idea is that if a fish grabs the bait, you want it to be able to swim with it. we used to try and tighten the wingnut so that it had enough resistance to not freespool out uncontrollably while still letting a swimming laker or pike take the bait.

Another modification I've done to set tension on the spool is take a lid from a plastic margerine container cut a hole in the center and put this on bolt glue it to the hockey stick then mount the spool line on the bolt. When you set the tension the plastic lid against the spool will give enough friction that it's almost freespooling, it also keeps the line from getting in between the stick and the bolt.

the line is a large spool of depth coloured ice line, held by rubber washer, bolt and wingnut. i imagine you could use any type of spool as long as you attach it well. i'd recommend something fairly large in diameter to make it easier to reel up. winding 100 feet of line by hand onto a small spool isn't fun.

it is never really locked. the idea is that if a fish grabs the bait, you want it to be able to swim with it. we used to try and tighten the wingnut so that it had enough resistance to not freespool out uncontrollably while still letting a swimming laker or pike take the bait.

Thanks doc....

i have to go to my storage shed today and am pretty sure I have everything there I need there...except the ice line.... I will grab that at the tackle shop.....should i grab two spools of different strength... ie perch and pan fish.... vs trout and pike?

thanks again for the quicks responses...

appreciate it

Thanks,I dont relly know what I was trying to say,another brain fart! :asshat: How dose the door stopper get mounted on the dowel and hockey stick? Ive never done this so thats why I have all these stupid questions! :wallbash:

yeah... me twooo :dunno::canadian::wallbash:

PS.. pretty sure I could just scrw the door stopper on with a 1" wood screw though.

Edited by splashhopper

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

having two spools would be a great idea i think.

there is a baseplate that the door spring kind of screws into...simply mount the base of the stopper to the hockey stick, then screw in the stopper without the rubber piece on the end. you might have to whittle down the dowel to get it to fit in the door stopper. my dowels aren't fastened with anything....they are whittled down until they just fit into the door stopper, and pushed in as far as possible. the nice thing is that you can unscrew the dowel/spring off the hockey stick to put it in your backpack.

instead of using a dowel with an eyelet on it i use old broken fishing rods, i usually try to get 2-3 eyelts on one length, for a spool/reel just go to a tackle shop and they sell the plastic ones (for making tip-ups) for a couple bucks, a bracket screws to your rod/hockey stick with a small bolt stiking out, spool, plastic washer and plastic wing nut over the bolt and tighten to how much tension u want or free spool, i think i paid 2 bucks a piece at bps last year, u can get some with rattles in the spool

I just finished making a similar one.

I inserted a short piece of rod tip into the dowel.

For the main post instead of a hockey stick I used a large diameter piece of dowel. The reason for this is I can now use a wood hole bit to drill a hole in the ice for the post to slip into. On warmer days for a hockey stick post, packing in slush does not work too good if the slush does not freeze.

I also used a plastic reel for tip-up purchased at WalMart for $3.

When paint dries and final assembly is finished I'll post a picture. Most likely tomorrow.

Rick

These tip-ups work great, I've been using these for years, I've modified mine with an eye midway down the dowel but it really isn't needed. Like said before these tip-ups work for all species. The only other thing I use in a pinch is an Alder twig an a spool of line good ole school method.

i made of of these today i just cut the tip of a rod off that i was gonna throw out

looks pretty good im gonna start makeing more of them

For the main post instead of a hockey stick I used a large diameter piece of dowel. The reason for this is I can now use a wood hole bit to drill a hole in the ice for the post to slip into. On warmer days for a hockey stick post, packing in slush does not work too good if the slush does not freeze.

Your idea Rick gave me a good use for an old cut down broom stick I have kicking around. I had a 2-pack of door stopers (not sure why either) so now all I need is the smaller dowel for the tip. I figure I can use old spent line spools as my spool. all I need to do is drill a hole in part of one of the crossings and stick a zip-tie trough, close the loop and use it as my handel. thanks for all this info in this thread! COME ON JAN 1 2010!!!!!!

Thats awsome!! :thumbsup_anim: Im going to try somthing like that out! :D I just got another idea,instead of using a dowl for the "rod" im going to use a old arrow shaft!It will fit in the door stopper and ill beable to fit a fishing rod tip in to one of the ends!

Edited by troutboy