my dog has glaucoma

walleyejigger

i have a 7 yr. old jack russell terrier, always the liveliest of dogs, and best companion i've ever had, went in for her yearly check up almost a month ago and was given a given a full bill of health, saturday morning the dog was pretty lethargic, didn't want to play, barely went outside and didn't want to open her left eye, by sunday she was very sensitive when we touch her head,and a lot of liquid goo was coming out, we were constantly wiping her, so this morning i brought her to the vet and was told she has severe glaucoma in the eye and is completely blind in it, i am now putting drops in her eye for a few days ($78 for a tiny bottle)) and then were back in to see if if the drops relieved the pressure and the pain, if not we'll have to see an opthomoligist in midland for likely removal of the eye.

it's sad to see the ball of energy she always has been turn into a very lazy, shaking pup, hopefully she gets better soon

thanks for listening

I had a dog that had diabetes and went blind (both eyes). We gave her 2 insulin shots everyday and eye drops for the first while. We thought we had to put her down by the 3rd day after she went blind because she was walking in to everything and looked miserable. The next day she woke up and ran laps around the house (as long as you didn't move a chair).

She lived super happy for 2 years that way. Hang in there, as long as he's happy that's all that matters.

thanks for the concern guys, she seems a little better today opening here eye a little every now and then, has a decent appetite and even played ball a little this afternoon, but still spends the majority of her time sleeping, it really isnt pretty to look at her when she opens her eye, the whole thing has a light blue/grey tinge to it and the other is dark brown

we have an appt. at the vet. tomorrow afternoon for a follow up

it has to do with the pressure it has created on the eye, which in turn has been painful for the dog, the drops we are giving her are to try and relieve the pressure, was told if it doesnt help removal would be the route to go is what i was told

just the sight of anybodys hand going near her to pet her and she flinches and dives for the ground as if you were going to strike her, she also shakes pretty much all day long, i also have to open her eyelids to put the drops in and she cries the whole time, so she's obviously in pain

Sometimes people medicine is the same as dog medicine. and most times alot cheaper. See if your vet will give you a presription for the eye drops from the pharmacy.

I have eye drops that will decrease the pressure in my eyes when I get iritis.

I had a dog a couple years back got cancer, one day all happy and dog like the next lethargic and hurting. It was hard to watch him get worse day by day.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

well after 2 visits to the vet yesterday for a total of 3.5 hours, it was decided the best thing to do was remove the eye to try and figure out what the actual problem is as the vets are not sure do to the rapid rate of blindness, they measured her eye on monday with some doomahicky in which she measured a -29, with -25 considered to be high and complete blindness with a few days, the drops were hopefully supposed to help the pressure then lowering the number and try to save some vision, yesterday morning she was at -49 and hen ur that high complete blindness is within hours.

so since the eye was already considered dead, or choice was to get an mri in toronto right away (emergency) or remove the eye and analyze it to see if they can figure it out that way, regardless of the results the dead eye had to come out, if it's a cancer/tumour theyl'll be able to tell as soon as they remove the eye, if not they will have to send it out to get analyzed, it may also still just be glaucoma which there are 2 types, if it's the worse one her other eye will go blind within 2 years, the experts in toronto think it is lens luxation which right now i cant really remember what happens with that, i was so bombarded with info yesterday between my vet and a conference call with 2 other vets form down south my head is spinning, my vet has never seen this happen although the "experts" have

so she is under as i write getting her eye removed, hopefully all goes well, she may have to spend the night there, ($$$$$) todays procedure is already putting me back $1600, let alone the other 3 visits this week, they are just going to sew the eye shut as the procedure for a prosthetic is in the $3000 dollar range im told, which i simply cant afford

been a long week for us and someone who is definately not a pet but a family member

well after 2 visits to the vet yesterday for a total of 3.5 hours, it was decided the best thing to do was remove the eye to try and figure out what the actual problem is as the vets are not sure do to the rapid rate of blindness, they measured her eye on monday with some doomahicky in which she measured a -29, with -25 considered to be high and complete blindness with a few days, the drops were hopefully supposed to help the pressure then lowering the number and try to save some vision, yesterday morning she was at -49 and hen ur that high complete blindness is within hours.

so since the eye was already considered dead, or choice was to get an mri in toronto right away (emergency) or remove the eye and analyze it to see if they can figure it out that way, regardless of the results the dead eye had to come out, if it's a cancer/tumour theyl'll be able to tell as soon as they remove the eye, if not they will have to send it out to get analyzed, it may also still just be glaucoma which there are 2 types, if it's the worse one her other eye will go blind within 2 years, the experts in toronto think it is lens luxation which right now i cant really remember what happens with that, i was so bombarded with info yesterday between my vet and a conference call with 2 other vets form down south my head is spinning, my vet has never seen this happen although the "experts" have

so she is under as i write getting her eye removed, hopefully all goes well, she may have to spend the night there, ($$$$$) todays procedure is already putting me back $1600, let alone the other 3 visits this week, they are just going to sew the eye shut as the procedure for a prosthetic is in the $3000 dollar range im told, which i simply cant afford

been a long week for us and someone who is definately not a pet but a family member

Wow I'm very sorry to hear. I'm more than aware of dog problems and I know the hard times and decisions that have to come with it. I've spent more money than I'd like to mention on my dog and have come close to saying I simply can't afford it.

I hope everything goes well today and just brace yourself for what's to come. The procedure will hopefully give relief to her and after a few days she'll become completely comfortable with her new self.

Dog's are part of the family, we all know that. Take care!

walleyejigger has your vet tried contacting University of Guelph, I know they have some very bright minds there and do lots of consulting work.

What worries me is that your vet has not seen nor heard of this. Lots of times professionals have professional egos and this can slow the prognosis.

My 2 huskies are solicting the dog gods to perform a miracle.

walleyejigger has your vet tried contacting University of Guelph, I know they have some very bright minds there and do lots of consulting work.

And you'll pay through the teeth for it as well........ Not much that can be done for glaucoma, the cells that regulate fluid balance (and therefore pressure) in the eyeball are screwed up.

Removing the eye will make no difference to his quality of life and he will be back to normal in no time. Animals bounce back real fast. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Dutchy

-the drops that were given to us were for ppl. we had to go to the pharmacy to pick up,

-we did speak to the fine folks at Guelph U. they suggested we remove the eye here and await results before going down there

- no my vet has not seen this before which is why he contacted those who have (vets in guelph, midland and toronto)

here she was early on in the week, u see a little how one eye turned a bluish grey compared to her natural dark brow

IMG_2032.jpg

here she is after surgery all sewn up

IMG_2036.jpg

within a few hours after surgery she was bouncing around the vet's place with way more energy than the whole week before so they called us up to come pick her up, she seems back to her old self again except right after we give her the medication, she sleeps a few hours after that,

it's still unknown what the problem was, when the vet removed her eye it exploded in his hands and he was full of green goo, so it got sent out to be analyzed and we should have results by monday, my vet thinks blastomicosys, which is very dangerous and very costly to treat so were hoping not, but he's just a general practitioner and is awaiting results from the lab and opthomologist