What Flasher To Buy?

ERB

Looking at buying a flasher. Was looking at the hummingbird ice 55 and the Vexilar (dont rember the exact model but I think it was around $400) What one do you think I should buy? Or is there another one I should look into?

Thanks

i started off with the MarCum VX-1... sold that for a MarCum LX-5 (top of the line for MarCum)... just sold that a month ago for a Vexilar FL-20 (Top of the line for vexilar). the detail on a Vex (especially in deep water) cannot be beaten by the other companies. don't be fooled by the "power output" by MarCum and Humminbird... I've had my (old) MarCum LX-5 beside the Vex Fl-18 in 115 FOW on Simcoe, and the Fl-18 has a WAY better reading than the MarCum. Also, i've found that there is little to no difference from the Marcum LX-5 and the Humminbird Ice 55 except for the LCD display...

Take it from someone who has tried all of the Top models from each company... I'm going with the VEX!!!

but that being said... any flasher is better than no flasher!!!!!

The top of the line vexilar, Markum and Hbird will all get the job done, and done quite well. For this reason, you will find that flasher owners and fiercely brand loyal!! Personally, I have used vexilar Fl-8's and Fl-18's and now own a humminbird ICE45 and definitely prefer the bird for it's modern features.

No matter what one you end up with, you will love it, and wonder how you ever fished without it.

I have 2 Vexilar FL8 for sale. One of them is brand new in the box, the other is slightly used. They are great units. If you plan to fish water deeper than 120 feet go with a FL18 or FL20.

How much? I have a friend that might be interested. I have an FL8 and love it.

Edited by Big Cliff

Looking at buying a flasher. Was looking at the hummingbird ice 55 and the Vexilar (dont rember the exact model but I think it was around $400) What one do you think I should buy? Or is there another one I should look into?

Thanks

Unless you're in a screaming rush to get one, why not look at some in action on the ice and go from there, once you have made the jump, then it's too late to change your mind. Flashers, whatever the brand, all do pretty much the same thing, with small differences in zoom, interference rejection, etc. Some units offer the ability to be used during all seasons, others offer the choice of running in regular graph mode or rotating rainbow of colours(definitely hard on my eyes and would not buy one). Lastly, some will say that only the "real" flashers(Vex/Marcum) provide real time info from water to screen, I call Bull on that. I just think they're mad they spent so much more than others and have to have something to moan about.

Flashers are the real deal when it comes to ice fishing.I have tried to use a lcd unit and can't stand the delay.Flashers are real time thats no bull!

'delay'? another fairy tale/myth :lol: I used Marcum LX-5, Vex FL-18 and now own Lowrance X67C and find it by far better for me. I prefer graph.

Different strokes I guess.

I went from the Lowrance to the Vex and would never go back.

Lowrance works great on the boat so it still getts used the rest of the year.

I actually have the Vex and Lowrance mounted side by side on the bow of my boat , you can see the difference in reaction time.

Does the reaction time make a difference in the amount of fish caught?I doubt it.But I like the Vex better.

The display is easier to see in the sun as well.

This is just a opinion from a guy who has both.

Do with it as you wish.

Hate to turn this into another OFC flame fest.

Edited by duber

Some guys who were crappie fishing at my buddy's marina a few weeks back had those Showdown units by AquaVu. They were pretty awesome. I've seen these guys around in years past, they've always had some kind of flasher (not sure what kind) but they claim this unit is far and away the best they ever used. They each had one and were going on and on to each other about how great they were. They are a flasher but the display is verticle, not round, and they are LCD. I'm pretty sure they are under $300. I think I'm going to pick one up after X-mas if I have any "fun" money left.