Varadaro / Cayo Coco Help (very non fishing)

TJQ

This is one of the reasons we allow non fishing posts .. so you can get a variety of information on other topics from people you know and trust...

Here my question..  we weren't gonna go anywhere at the end of our busy season this year and we were gonna save our pennies for RRSP and Camp Construction... then some personal issues arose and we were reminded about how short life can be... so weve decided to do our trip after all.  

Normally we fly outta Toronto and this entails driving/motel/parking etc...  and adds at least $200 -$300 to the overall cost of our trip.

Because our schedule is "flexible" we usualy take advantage of the last min specials available, and now some of these companies are flying out of Sudbury which is great!  This should sae us both time and $$.

The only two destinations available though are Cayo Coco and Varadaro.  Has anyone been to BOTH??  Anyone been to any??  You can answer here or PM me if ya like.. any help would be appreciated!!

I've been to Varadero twice. Haven't been to Cayo Coco (Less/nothing to see and do off the resort from what I've heard)

I have stayed at Barcelo Sol Y Mar and it was nice, and just recently (January 13-20, 2007) stayed at Sandals Royal Hicacos and it was the best resort I have stayed at ever! (Better than 5 resorts in Dominican Republic, 2 resorts in Mexico - including the Marriott in Puerto Vallarta!)

I could literally go on and on about how amazing Sandals was in Varadero, but instead I will just say book there and rest assured you will have a relaxing worry free vacation.

EDIT: Oh! One other thing, if you do decide to go to Sandals, upgrade to Concierge Suite. Best location of rooms on property, also closest to the beach. Champagne and cold towels upon arrival, express check in/out, nightly turn down service, priority reservations in 5 a la carte restaurants, mini-bar stocked daily with refreshments including wine, beer, liquors. Private pick-up at the airport and drop-off was a nice feature. We talked to people that left the resort at 7am, we left around 9am for the airport...same flight home!

Do plan on a trip to Havana, talk to the lifegaurds on the beach and they can arrange for a private bus for you. You go where you want when you want - much better than the resort tours where there is dozens of people on a large coach bus. You end up waiting for stragglers at every stop and it extends a 5 hour trip into an 8 hour+ ordeal.

If you have any questions about Varadero, I'd be happy to answer as many as I can.

You should already know the Barracuda hotspot from my earlier post ;)

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Stayed at the Superclub breezes Varadero....

Absolutely stunning!

Beautiful resort...

Facilities were amazing, the rooms were great, and the food was Awesome.

Cuba has a reputation for nice resorts...bad food

But in this particular case the food was excellent.

3 A la carte Restaurants, one buffet restaurant, 4 cocsession style snack bars, and I was able to find 4 bars

(2 of which are open 24 hours a day) plus a dsco!!!

Freindly staff, the beach was out of a movie, mopad rentals, sunquest vacation tour station right on the resort to book tours, or say....fishing charters.

:whistling:

Ya I'd go back in a heartbeat.

What Cookslav just said!!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Cayo coco; haven't stayed there but some friends did and they much prefered Varadero.

As for flying out of Toronto, you can usually find a deal where you can stay one night and park for up to 14 days. last time we went with holiday Inn on Airport Rd. $114.00 for the room and included parking for 2 weeks.

Cayo CoCo is nice some really decent fishing to i will dig up photos and find the name of guide we used lots of nice resorts real quiet if you wanna relax im going to veradaro this year it was free otherwise i would have gone back to the cayo

I stayed at the El Senador in Cayo Coco a couple years ago. It is a canadian owned resort and we had a great time. Lots of good restaurants, several pools with swim up bars, a cigar lounge with full bar and pool table, also has a 24hr restaurant that serves fresh made pizza, hot dogs and poutine, lol! Only con would be that it is a good ride from the airport and you would need a tour bus to get you into a local city; if your not gonna leave the resort then it's no concern :thumbsup_anim:

I've been to both.

I liked to resorts better in Cayo Coco, but Varadero has lots more to do, away from the resort. If you want to do anything away from Cayo Coco, you need to take a LONG cab ride to do so, which can get expensive, it depends on what kind of vacation you're looking for. Varadero is more fast paced, there's shopping and all kinds of things to see. Cayo Coco is better if you want to just chill and enjoy your time relaxing on the beach!

Also, good bass fishing can be found about a 45 min cab ride from Cayo Coco at La Redonda... got a couple over 7 when we went !!

T.J , I have stayed in both areas. Cayo Coco is an island and there is nothing to do and the beaches are so-so. The nicest place there is the Melia. The resort that Shad mentions is not canadian owned anymore and you don't get the same service anymore.

Varadero is nice (for the older crowd though) IMO lots of nice hotels there to choose from. . That would be my pick, if the chance arises go to Holguin,cuba The area is beautiful and lots to do.

If there are any deals to Punta Cana in the Dominican then that would be the hands down choice. I have been there 4 times and loved it more each time we go. Some of the best beaches and scenery you will find anywhere.