Help me pick a Lodge on Nipissing!

fishhatemybait

Hi All,

I am looking for some help with picking a lodge up on lake Nipissing. I have done some searching on my own but am not sure what to make of it. I will tell you a few things and hopefully someone can give me some tips. The group going will be myself, my 8 year old sone, and my nephew who is 11. We will likely spend a lot of time on the water but won"t really travel long distances inthe boat as I am not an experienced boater. I will be renting a boat and motor from whatever lodge we stay at. We will fish mainly for Pike, Walleye, and would like to try for a musky just because I have never hooked one. That being said we might also go for some bass as well. We like the fish frys so the more pickrel the better!

I was thinking of going the first week in June next year for 3 nights. I can't break the bank on the lodge so I am looking for the best deal and helpfull staff who will point us in the right spots for the fish we are seeking.

A few questions:

What will the weather be like up there at that time of year? Need warm clothes? Bugs?

Any lure suggestions or is live bait a better choice?

Which is better Callander or West Nipissing?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Chris

Edited by fishhatemybait

Fishhatemybait,

Try Nanmark Cottages in Callander, (705) 752-3125.

Terry and Liz Hyatt have sweet cottages, solid rental boats and have been in the game for a long time.

We stayed there for the first time last year, caught a ton of 'eyes (including a 7lb'r) and a few pike.

I would highly, highly recommend their operation to anyone.

Darcy

PromiseLand on south bay was GREAT. Didnt rent boats as i towed my own, but the cottages were outstanding........plus if you dont want to venture out of the bay, the waters are well protected from any large chop should you get a windy weekend. We found plenty of fish off the main lake when we were there. Mainly slow trolling harnesses. Alot of slot fish but enough out of the slot for a fish fry at weeks end. Its under new ownership since i was there so i cant say alot about the operation, but the camp itself was outstanding

You can't go wrong up there. Bait selection will be very easy. Grab some Nipissing jigs or tie your own. Jig head with a trailer hook. Nightcrawlers will work just fine. They'll catch the eyes and the bass even an odd pike. Any traditional pike lure will catch them up there. They're everywhere. As for the muskies, don't get too wrapped up in them. They're certainly there but with two young boys, you'll spend ALOT of time looking for them with little action for the boys. You have to put your time in to get them in the boat.

I've been staying near the mouth of the French for about 30 years and I've also stayed in the West Arm at Lakair and Sunset. You can't go wrong wherever you pick. Good luck.

My avatar is a picture of my 5 year old son holding a West Arm walleye. If it were up to him, we'd move to Lakair!

The South Shore of Nip has a ridiculous number of lodges. I stayed at Idle Tyme, on the main lake, but close to Callander Bay, over thanksgiving and had some excellent fishing given the pretty lame weather conditions. The camps are cheap but very well kept, and Shawn and his wife are excellent hosts (especially if you have dogs).

http://www.lake-nipissing-fishing.com/lake...ns-for-rent.htm

Edited by Joeytier