City Hunting

crappieperchhunter

For 3 days in a row on my way to and from work in south Oshawa... in the harbor area...I have passed a group of deer feeding in the back of a cut down corn field. I figure the farmer must have had a spill of corn there because they are always in the exact same spot.

Can you hunt in such an area? I'm just curious. I snicker when I see all the posts on here about some folks having trouble bagging one this year when I could have easily got one of these. They are about 80 yards from the road and don't even look up when I drive by.

Not trying to rub salt in any hunter who is being skunked this fall...I really just am curious about the law.

Eh!

Usually every municipality or city have their own by-laws..........most have a no discharge law within city limits.

and judging by the area you are talkin' 'boot It's probably private land and then the farmers consent would also be needed.

hope this kinda helped

RFS

:canadian:

Here in Barrie, it,s no discharge of a firearm.The bow on the other hand,just let one walk by my deck.

Hey Misfish. I have 5 down here in my backyard and Turkeys to. Feel free to drop by any time. They eat all my Dam vegetables and Flowers

Check your regs/Hunter's ed textbook guys and gals, a crossbow and a bow are considered firearms under the of Fish and Wildlife Act. It's not a long gun so would be excluded from the registry.

Yes it may read like that,but if you read other regs Stan,they do not fall under,the firearms act.

Once again,our goverment has left loop holes. Not surprised.

Edited by misfish

Some big coyotes too. Saw a huge one last week. Might wanna do the early morning float fishing with a buddy. Or pack a ...cough...gun :whistling:

Wish you hadn't told me that, although I have heard sounds and caught glimpses of what I though may have been a big yote....tried to put it at the back of my mind lol

I'm pretty sure it's considered a weapon (like anything could be) but it's not considered a firearm...yet....certainly under the criminal code.

There's a guy that just opened up a paintball shop in Midland and was shut down after a month....town by-laws...but it was mainly the new chief that is interpreting the CCC that reads "any projectile that comes out of a barrel" is a firearm...and that is where they got him...even though its just a family paintball adventure camp...I guess he's right... <_< ...he can apply for an exemption...but I'm not sure he would get it...

A crossbow by definition of the federal firearms act is not a firearm. There was a thought of classifying it as a firearm at one point which is why certain people have crossbows listed on the back of their PAL. It never came to fruition. An item becomes a firearm when it's projectile reach's 500 feet per second or more as well as meets a specific muzzle energy factor.

In terms of hunting, the provincial hunting regulations classify any item used to hunt game as a firearm. This means that crossbow's are subject to all of the requirements of long guns. Namely whether it can be loaded or unloaded, encased at night, etc.

Whoever said the crossbow was a weapon is mistaken. Weapons are used to inflict harm. In the case of sport shooters, hunters, farmers, etc. Firearms are not weapons, they are tools. A baseball bat used during a game is a tool, used in a back alley to beat someone is a weapon.

Either way, when you are hunting a crossbow is considered a firearm and if there is a no discharge bylaw where you are, you cannot use archery to hunt game.

Edited by anonymous