Hey Solo..

highdrifter

Gmornin! :)

I'm all smiles this morning, considering my glossy look and dreadful headache.. Whiskey n cokes don't taste so good the morning after...

Went 2 for 4 yesterday on the new Lamiglas. 2nd time out with the pin. Finally, after so many years of never really getting it quite right, so many lost fish, so many drifts that were just out of reach.. All in the past. You could say I'm entering graduating class, steelhead academy. :D

Mind you, it's pure fluke that this new float fishing venture ever happened. I got lucky at a steelie tourney this spring and my name was drawn for a brand new Raven SST float reel. It sat on the shelf until just recently, when I started youtubing casting clinics and lurking floater boards.

I have a couple shorter noodle rods, but the limitations were evident. Fine for frog water, crap for long drifts and long casts. I needed a real float rod. No skimping this time.

Called a few tackle shops and got prices on custom sticks and I was left feeling more confused than before. I'm a big proponent on Sage, because I fished with them for years. But there was no way to justify spending 900+ for a finished product with average components, and a newer generation blank that was a bit whippy for my liking.

Exasperated, I made a call out to Solo and boy, was that a good move!! He offered advice on blanks, components, where to have the reel seat, etc. He put me on to a good rod builder, a mister John Colinas, and I made plans to go see him. He was outta town some, so the visit would have to be planned.

Spoke to John I was told a month to have the rod in my hand, which was no big deal. But waiting for a rod during prime steelie time is kind of a downer eh??!!

Got a PM from Solo Friday before last, just as I was about to ring up the buidler. Would ya know it? He had a shweeeet custom JC build up for sale. A 13ft 3pc Lamiglas, Fugi SIC mid frames, coco bola reel seat... And the price?? Well, let's just say that it was a sweet deal that couldn’t be passed up. He drove out to my shop in Mississauga with the wee ones that afternoon and by the end of the day, I had in my hands a beautiful custom build. Which meant I could fish with it the next day. NO WAITING!! :lol:

And I'm reaping the rewards... Thanks budday. You da man.

River was crowded like I have never seen, but managed. Went 1 for 3 right off the bat, a nice male brown in full spawn mode. He swam away before I could snap a pic. Came back to the run later in the day not expecting much, water was gin clear and the sun was high, plus there was 3 dudes working the tail end. After a quick chat with one of the fellers I knew, I made my way to the top end. I had dug up some dewies earlier and I had one left… 2 drifts and BABAAM, fish on!!

This one's for the gear hawgs. ;)

gallery_439_66_46192.jpg

gallery_439_66_13237.jpg

Cheers,

HD

PS. MJL, you da man too!!

Edited by Highdrifter

Awesome Fidel! Stunning fish to re-Christen the rod with. Really glad you enjoy the new stick...Bet the wifey also enjoys that you saved some $ to spend on her B)

All hail the mighty cobra sized dewy! :worthy:

I spent most of this weekend gooping aquaseal on my waders...I've got pinholes, holes and seam leaks materializing out of control!

Awesome Fidel! Stunning fish to re-Christen the rod with. Really glad you enjoy the new stick...Bet the wifey also enjoys that you saved some $ to spend on her B)

All hail the mighty cobra sized dewy! :worthy:

I spent most of this weekend gooping aquaseal on my waders...I've got pinholes, holes and seam leaks materializing out of control!

The wifey knows where the rest is going... B):P

Actually, it was a small red worm..

Hope you got your waders fixed dude. Doesn't Simms have a warranty on the seams??

Edited by Highdrifter

Hope you got your waders fixed dude. Doesn't Simms have a warranty on the seams??

I've got a pair of Orvis breathables. Bought them 6 years ago and abused them in just about every imaginable way :D

With steel going up the rivers in good numbers, I'd rather sit out a couple days than 4-8 weeks waiting for them to get fixed. In 2hrs I'll be doing another bath tub test

Well done stranger! :D

I still have a fly rod and reel new in package waiting for some private schooling :rolleyes:

You needed the exercise!

I thought you only drank Shirley Temples? :w00t:

You're absolutely right. It's not the waders that make me look phat, it's my molson muscle!!

Shirley Temples... :lol: